Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 Players and No-gap playback (Read 51326 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 Players and No-gap playback

Reply #75
@ bennybenz
I'm obviously not Gabriel but I couldn't resist to comment on this. 

How is there a frame inter-dependency (meaning one frame being dependent on an adjacent frame) between the DCT data itself, outside of byte-reservoiring?

In the synthesis step of the decoder the audio samples from the current frame are combined with the previously decoded samples (overlapping windows). This dependency of consecutive frames is in the very nature of the transformation used in encoder and decoder. It reduces (eliminates?) blocking artifacts that would be prominent if the transform windows didn't overlap.

Also, if you created MP3s from an album that completely filled all of their frames with actual song data, then how could any decoder not be able to play these MP3s gaplessly if it were to remove the ID3 data and abut each of the MP3s' song data as one continuous playback stream?  I see no reason why not.

The reason is the transform overlap (as mentioned above) at the beginning of each file. If the decoder has no special "gapless" mode then it starts decoding of each new file with an empty (silent) transform buffer, which results in a small gap (silence) in the output.

Also, what information does LAME place in the header for gapless playback?

I don't know and leave that one for Gabriel or somebody else. 

By the way:

The bit-reservoir works on a different level. It is part of the bit stream (encoded data). Its purpose is to provide some kind of "variable bitrate" even in CBR encoded streams. The bit-reservoir can be seen as a "dynamic buffer" inside the bitstream.

(F are frame headers, the numbers are the contents of the respective frames)

Ok, this is an illustration of a bitstream that does *NOT* use the bit-reservoir.

F 1111111111 F 2222222222 F 3333333333 F 4444444444 F...
You can see, frame headers and contents are nicely ordered.

Now, an illustration of a bitstream that *DOES* use the bit-reservoir:

F 1111122222 F 2333333333 F 3333333333 F 4444444555 F...
Here the frames 1 and 2 use less bits than they could, so they build up the reservoir. Frame 3 uses much more bits than its own frame could contain and uses additional bits from the reservoir. After frame 3 the reservoir capacity is reduced to 0 (zero), so the contents of frame 4 have to start right after the fourth frame header.
The different sizes of the frame contents result from the audio signal and how "difficult" it is to encode it.

Bit reservoir makes MP3 file splitting quite a challenging task because the beginning of the second piece must be modified by the splitter program to save the bit-reservoir contents that are actually located at the end of the first piece. Just try to image that you want to split the example from the second illustration between frame 2 and 3...

Hope this little (?) explanations makes sense to anybody. 

Reply #76
This is pretty old topic... Any progression in this area? I'm going to buy an MP3 player which should support gapless MP3 playback (and CUEs too, but maybe I'm just daydreaming  )

Reply #77
Besides the Rio Karma and some Rockbox compatible DAPs (such as the iRiver H120 or H320) i don't know any hardware mp3 player that supports real gapless playback.

As for cue playback... i don't know any. But keep an eye on the Rockbox community, they may implement it one day.

Reply #78
Thanks to Rockbox, quite a few Ipods now, too (like the Nano).