Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Convert FLAC to MP3 changes Track from X to X/Y (Read 3679 times) previous topic - next topic

Convert FLAC to MP3 changes Track from X to X/Y

I am using fb2k to convert FLAC files, which are already tagged, to MP3 files. If I select the files in fb2k and Right Click > Convert, the tags in the resultant MP3 files are the same apart from Track. The tracks in the FLAC files are all "X" and the tracks in the MP3 files are all "X/Y". For example, in the original files, the track numbers are "1 2 3 and 4". In the new MP3 files, the track numbers are "1/4 2/4 3/4 and 4/4".

I am impressed that fb2k took the time to calculate the number of tracks for each album, but it was not actually what I wanted. I have looked at the options under "Advanced" and I do not see an option to prevent this feature. Is there a way to do this? If not, can this be an option, please? Or is this a bug?

Note that this appears to be unique to MP3 files. Converting OGG to FLAC, for example, copies the Track information as is.

Reply #1
That's because of ID3v2 standard:

The 'Track number/Position in set' frame is a numeric string containing the order number of the audio-file on its original recording. This may be extended with a "/" character and a numeric string containing the total numer of tracks/elements on the original recording. E.g. "4/9".

I am impressed that fb2k took the time to calculate the number of tracks for each album

It doesn't. It merges 'Track Number' and 'Total Tracks' fields into one id3v2 frame.

Reply #2
Thanks for the clarification. By pure fluke, I had selected a set of OGG files which had a tag inside them of TRACKTOTAL=Y. They were converted to FLAC with fb2k. They were then converted to MP3 using fb2k. Using MP3TAG, the Track Number shows as X for OGG and FLAC - but X/Y for the MP3 files - hence my confusion. No doubt there is a way to display Track Total for OGG/FLAC in MP3TAG - however, it is not the default.

In an ideal world, I would still like an option to convert Track tags to X format in all cases. However, fb2k did copy the existing tags correctly 

Reply #3
In an ideal world, I would still like an option to convert Track tags to X format in all cases.
By which I presume you mean an option to ignore the total number of tracks when writing the dual-purpose frame TRCK to an ID3v2 tag in destination MP3 files. Why is this needed? You’re asking foobar2000 to go against its policy of preserving as much data as possible, by selectively discarding one field that you could delete manually either before or after conversion. I wouldn’t hold your breath for this option to emerge. Edit the tags how you want them pre- or post-conversion, and/or configure whatever viewer you’re using not to show the total number. This is far preferable logically and does not involve foobar2000 trashing existing data just to suit a particular preference.

Reply #5
Guys, "In an ideal world" was slightly tongue in cheek. I do not expect anyone at fb2k to change how tag copy works.

As you said, it is possible to fix the tags pre or post conversion. The only reason for such an option was suggested as there was a recent post stating that some players do not understand X as opposed to X/Y. No doubt, there are also other players which do not correctly process X/Y as opposed to X. Thus, if someone maintains their master collection as FLAC, they may very well want an option to "convert" FLAC X/Y to MP3 X  - or vice versa.

Speaking as a very part time developer, many options in my freeware code were added when someone asked "why does your program not do this?". So, this may be an option for some people that the developer may choose to code. If he does, fine - if not - that is fine as well. Once again, thanks for the explanations.