Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Folding@Home (Read 28692 times) previous topic - next topic

Folding@Home

Reply #75
Apparently we are competing with maximum pc.  See here for their tips on how to optimize the folding client. I personally would like to overtake them with their smug know it all attitudes.

Folding@Home

Reply #76
Apparently we are competing with maximum pc.  See here for their tips on how to optimize the folding client. I personally would like to overtake them with their smug know it all attitudes.

I've read some of the top folding teams' dedicated web sites and forums a bit (ARS Technica, HardOCP etc..). Sometimes it feels they take the whole thing "a bit" too seriously.
I mean when there starts to be "flamewars" between teams, then there's something wrong.. 

If Team HydrogenAudio keeps growing bigger, I might consider starting a Team HA Folding@Home forum section, similar to many other sites, but I think it's clear that we have no "chances" against mammuth teams, and I think it's only good, based on what I noticed when browsing around...

Edit: How so are we competing with Maximum PC?!? Their team ranking is 10. Their WorkUnit count is 123350. Team HA ranking is about 450, Work Unit Count 368, and they have 18-times more processors working on it... so I don't think so. 
Juha Laaksonheimo

Folding@Home

Reply #77
How so are we competing with Maximum PC?!? Their team ranking is 10. Their WorkUnit count is 123350. Team HA ranking is about 450, Work Unit Count 368, and they have 18-times more processors working on it... so I don't think so

Come on johnv, wheres your competitive defiance? 

Folding@Home

Reply #78
Come on johnv, wheres your competitive defiance? 

LOL    Where is the line between competitive defiance and utter insanity?  Though I'm glad you've posted a link to optimizing F@H. I'm going to check that out.

A question to those who've had their names on the stats list for a while - how long does it take after you finish a WU to see yourself on the list? I'm nearly done my 2nd WU but I'm not on the list yet. Am I just being impatient and paranoid, or is there a problem? 

If Team HydrogenAudio keeps growing bigger, I might consider starting a Team HA Folding@Home forum section,

I think this is a reasonable idea. The team is up to 50+ members already, growing nicely.

Folding@Home

Reply #79
A question to those who've had their names on the stats list for a while - how long does it take after you finish a WU to see yourself on the list? I'm nearly done my 2nd WU but I'm not on the list yet. Am I just being impatient and paranoid, or is there a problem? 

It shoudn't be many hours, unless there is a problem with the server. Did you make sure you put the Team ID correctly? Also check from your log-file that the WU was sent and the server received it. What is your callsign at F@H?
Juha Laaksonheimo

Folding@Home

Reply #80
Oops! My first work unit wasn't sent -- I checked the client's log files and it seems the F@H client couldn't connect to the server. Upon completing my second WU, the client sent both of them, so it appears everything is fine now. I'm still waiting to see my name on the stats page, but that should be soon.  (Same username as here at HA.)

<edit>

All is well and I'm on the stats page, phew. I was a little worried there.

The team has moved into the top-400 now with 60 members, so we're still climbing fast.

JohnV, if you do start a F@H forum section, one of the topics I'd like to see is one where team members list what computers and how many computers they're running F@H on.

</edit>

Folding@Home

Reply #81
We are breaking into top-300 very soon
http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage?q=32639

Well.. there's still only 52 active processors within a week. I'd like at least 100 before a specific forum.

Anyway, list your F@H machines and setups here. Mine is:
P4-3Ghz HT running one console client with idle priority, 100% cpu with affinity set to cpu1.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Folding@Home

Reply #82
Athlon XP 1700+. Problem is I do a lot of video encoding.

Folding@Home

Reply #83
Athlon XP2600+, running screen-saver. I do my video encoding on my back up system(Athlon XP2100+)

Folding@Home

Reply #84
1.8GHz Celeron with the command line client at 100% though I'm also running distributed.net for Team Canada - the two share the idle cycles about 50/50 according to the Task Manager. I leave it running pretty much 24/7 with no trouble so far.

Yeah, we're ranked 302nd as of this writing, and I have a WU finishing up in a few minutes.   

Folding@Home

Reply #85
AMD 1500+ with 384Mb RAM

Graphical client using 65% of free CPU cycles

Folding@Home

Reply #86
Everyone send a PM to JEN and ask her where she went.  It was HER idea to run up the power bill and then she LEFT!   
You can't kill the Elephant.

Folding@Home

Reply #87
Hee, we are now in top-300 
I think we have certainly chances to break into the top-100 team list page http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/searchteamstats
The 100th team has total score of about 103000, and we have about 30000 at the moment.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Folding@Home

Reply #88
Everyone send a PM to JEN and ask her where she went.  It was HER idea to run up the power bill and then she LEFT!

I haven't left yet!!!

I have just had to put folding to a side for a little while.  But do not dispair, I will be back in fighting force

Folding@Home

Reply #89
I need to borg my brothers PC somehow so I can get his PC to fold without him knowing about it

Is it possible to somehow install firedaemon and the commandline folding client on my computer, somehow convert all the needed files to an exe so I can quickly execute the exe file on his computer so everything will be setup including the team number etc.

Is this possible?

EDIT

is it possible to install and configure firedaemon and folding@home client using only a batch file ???

Folding@Home

Reply #90
Maybe I'm missing something, but why are people using the command line client instead of the graphical one? Is it because it's faster at folding, it can be hidden from the systray completely, it uses less memory, or a combination of any or all of these? It just seems less straightforward to use command line and a separate tool to insert it into the systray than using the graphical client.

Folding machine: AthlonXP 2100, usually on 24x7. When I get a job I'll powerup.. and then 1st death ist death! (cracking knuckles) *8-)

Folding@Home

Reply #91
Maybe I'm missing something, but why are people using the command line client instead of the graphical one? Is it because it's faster at folding, it can be hidden from the systray completely, it uses less memory, or a combination of any or all of these? It just seems less straightforward to use command line and a separate tool to insert it into the systray than using the graphical client.

Well.. I made a .bat file which starts the client and minimizes it to the systray using trayit. I watched the graphics for a while when I was using the screen saver, but had enough of it.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Folding@Home

Reply #92

Folding machine: AthlonXP 2100, usually on 24x7. When I get a job I'll powerup.. and then 1st death ist death! (cracking knuckles) *8-)

Simply, that when i first used the GUI client i had stability problems with the interface. Also i a prefer command line apps and run the console version with the highest verbosity level, so i know what "really" going on. If you don't have problems with the grapical version, don't worry though, you will get no performance hit!

Another reason i like it, is that it provides a common interface when moving form one os to another as thery nearly all support the command line version.

Cheers

Kristian

Folding@Home

Reply #93
I used to use, and will be again soon, the command line version.  Because I was able to run it as a service which made it look like it was not there

Folding@Home

Reply #94
Is it possible to somehow install firedaemon and the commandline folding client on my computer, somehow convert all the needed files to an exe so I can quickly execute the exe file on his computer so everything will be setup including the team number etc.

Is this possible?

I think it is. Although it's better to ask him to install it by himself, IMO.

Anyway here it is.
FireDaemon.exe, FireDaemonRT.dll, libxml2.dll, SvcAdmin.dll, FireDaemon.dtd (from firedaemon program dir) and naturally FAH3Console.exe should be in same folder as installer.
Transport whole dir to target pc, launch installer, and that's it, given that you're logged as admin. Yeah, and put name/team in cofig.ini.

To make it less noticebale, I'd install to system dir and uncheck 'create add/remove entry' perhaps.
It does the job here, maybe will work somewhere else, but, naturally, I'm not responsible for anything and stuff.

Folding@Home

Reply #95
I need to borg my brothers PC somehow so I can get his PC to fold without him knowing about it

Just quoting from the F@H FAQ
Please only run Folding@Home on machines you either own or on which you have the permission of the owner to run our software. Any other use of Folding@Home violates our license agreement (and just isn't a good idea in general).

As a maybe extreme example there has been a lawsuit against an admin who did put rc55 distributed net clients on lots of campus computers. Just know how far you can go

Let's fold in peace.
--
Ge Someone
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Folding@Home

Reply #96
As cool as it might sound to have F@H running on every computer we can get our hands on, it's against the terms of service to run it without the computer owner's permission Jen.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why are people using the command line client instead of the graphical one? Is it because it's faster at folding, it can be hidden from the systray completely, it uses less memory, or a combination of any or all of these?

My computer has only 128MB of memory (for now at least, heheh) so that's my main concern. Plus watching the graphics gets boring quickly - I'd rather watch TV.   

As of this writing we're ranked 272nd. I agree with you JohnV, we'll climb into the Top 100 eventually provided we keep slowly growing our team, and the present users keep folding. Go Team! 

Folding@Home

Reply #97
I'm annoyed, i've made a bit of a mess with my user name and teams.

When i first started i used the name KriTip, when HA team started my name turned out to be KriTip_ and i only reallised after 5 units done, so i wasn't going to change back.  I then reinstalled the other day and spent 2 days folding a protein for the wrong team!!    I typed in 32369 by mistake!! The unit only turned out to be 30 points as well which seemed strange.

Still caused me to drop form 7th to 8th!!

Is there anyway i can counteract this mess? perhaps moving all my KriTip_ work back to KriTip and removeing the user? Im not worried about givin the one work unit away though, it trippled that teams points!!

There probably isn't but i thought it couldn''t hurt to ask!

Kristian

Folding@Home

Reply #98
Well, here's a good reason for some (such as myself) to switch from the graphical to the command-line client.

I had been experiencing something odd on my computer, although I never tied it into the Folding GUI client until today. Essentially it had to do with my tooltips - hovering the mouse over my systray icons showed sometimes long black rectangles with half the text missing, or the tooltip for the wrong icon etc. I went through a lot of utils, thinking this was some sort of system cache problem (I fiddle with that stuff all the time so this wasn't too far-fetched a theory). After several searches on Google I eventually stumbled upon THIS F@H forum article. As per koan's posting in that thread, I have a GeForce3 Ti200, the new nVidia drivers and XP SP1. I read a separate posting from Pando or whoever is the chief F@H guru, saying he couldn't reproduce it. Obviously troubleshooting this is substantially more difficult than the science of molecular biology.

I had no idea that the GUI client was causing this problem. Albeit minor in itself, several of my systray icons have important tooltip info which this was screwing with  . Therefore, I have removed the GUI client and installed Electron Microscope III instead. It kicks in the console client, hides the DOS window, and has a reasonable display and set of features.

Folding@Home

Reply #99
Kritip, I don't think anything can be changed. Here's what it says on the bottom on my individual F@H stats page:

If you have multiple team designations, you will see multiple records above. A given WU has a single username and team associated with it. This designation cannot be changed for WUs that have been already turned into our servers. You can change the team or username for future WUs in the config panel of the client.

So it seems that once a WU is submitted, it's permanent.

How nice of you to triple that teams WUs.