Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What's wrong? The recorder or CD-RW media? (Read 2350 times) previous topic - next topic

What's wrong? The recorder or CD-RW media?

I burnt a CD-RW disc from wav files (With Feurio 1.66) with my Lite-ON LTR-48246S and it wasn't a good burn. (CD-RW media - Verbatim DataLifePlus by MITSUBISHI). To check the quality of the burnt CD-RW I ripped it to my HDD (with EAC) and checked the tracks - their sizes were quite different!!! 
1. I used Test & Copy sel. tr.
2. The Secure Extraction Method was checked, but it somehow automatically was changed to Burst. (???)
3. When I tried to change to Secure mode it made an eternal Error Correction from the beginning of the first track and didn't want to go further.
4. I firstly ripped these tracks from an original CD in Secure mode (to HDD) and everything was OK.

I didn't try this new CD-RW recoder at all... Does this test means that it is broken or something like that ? What should I do? (Or maybe (I hope so) smth. is wrong with CD-RW media? (It is x2-x4 from 2000 year, but wasn't burnt even 3 times...)

Reply #1
Enable C2 error reporting in Feurio and rip the WAVs with it.
If there is no c2 error, the quality of that CD for that reader, is enough. Of course, reading at slow speeds will produce less c2 errors.

I think that your Teac 40x also reports c2 errors.

Probably, that CDRW is died. And Verbatim CDRW are very good quality, so that means that CDRW is not a reliable storage media. It's also incompatible with most players.

Reply #2
To check the quality of the burnt CD-RW I ripped it to my HDD (with EAC) and checked the tracks - their sizes were quite different!!! 

What do you mean, 'the sizes were different'? Is it possible that extra pauses were added by feurio (like nero would do). That would clarify things.

Your question seems very interesting, but I am afraid it is not very clear ...

Reply #3
MusicLover:

I also have a new LTR-48246S and I can tell you that it's certainly not a crap burner. Unless you were unlucky and got a defective drive...

I agree that it must be your CD-RW playing up. Try some decent CD-R media - I get 100% matching CRCs comparing rips off original CDs with rips off CD-R copies.