Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME 4.0 alpha 13 CLI encoder for TESTING ONLY 20 (Read 31683 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME 4.0 alpha 13 CLI encoder for TESTING ONLY 20

I've notice something new on rarewares.

Just FYI,

I'm doing some encoding now, only for testing purposes of course

Reply #1
i can't find this on the rarewares. strange?

Reply #2
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="http://www.rarewares.org/mp3.html]http://www.rarewares.org/mp3.html[/url]

Second entry from the bottom.

Although I believe these things shouldn't even be announced here at the forums. Stupidity often ensues when it happens.

If it was to be announced, I guess John33 would have done it, and announced it at RW's index page...

Reply #3
sorry about that/ i never wouldn't looked towards the bottom, would've thought that it would be at the top with the other LAME versions.

why is it that testing for 3.97 and 4.0 are going on simultaneously?

Reply #4
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="http://www.rarewares.org/mp3.html]http://www.rarewares.org/mp3.html[/url]

Second entry from the bottom.

Although I believe these things shouldn't even be announced here at the forums. Stupidity often ensues when it happens.

If it was to be announced, I guess John33 would have done it, and announced it at RW's index page...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277943"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Okay, then lets have the following in one of the earliest comments in this thread:

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']This version (4.0 alpha) is probably of worse quality than the latest stable version! [/span]

This compile is for developers and people who want to do listening tests only. When a version becomes ready for mainstream testing, its called "beta". The above version is especially probable to contain ugly quality-bugs because it is based on a completely new (untuned) encoder.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #5
Some may recall that I posted alpha 12 a while back, and I've been updating this as Takehiro updated the CVS. As it's now gone to alpha 13, and therefore the old link is broken, I thought it better to hide it at the bottom of the mp3 page at Rarewares so that it was more readily available.

As Roberto has indicated, it wasn't intended to be announced, as such, it was just there for those who took the trouble to look.

As stated many times before, this is NOT yet ready for user testing. Takehiro will ask for that when he's ready. It is just there for people to see what progress he's making and the direction it's going in.

Reply #6
I tested this out last night and was suprised how quick it encoded an mp3. It was at least twice as fast as 3.90.3, possible more. Is it written with SSE CPU optimization code built it or it utilising a new compression engine?

The initial file output was much smaller but in comparison had a much lower bitrate for preset standard than 3.96.1. I'd like to know more info about this version so i know what to look out for. I'd like to start some hardcore testing

Reply #7
I tested 4.0 against 3.90.3 & 3.96.1 on only 3 problem samples but in all cases 4.0 sounded better, might be worth doing some testing

Reply #8
I tested this out last night and was suprised how quick it encoded an mp3. It was at least twice as fast as 3.90.3, possible more. Is it written with SSE CPU optimization code built it or it utilising a new compression engine?

The initial file output was much smaller but in comparison had a much lower bitrate for preset standard than 3.96.1. I'd like to know more info about this version so i know what to look out for. I'd like to start some hardcore testing
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278195"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

LAME 3.97 is already twice as fast as 3.90 in my computer.

Might be useful in doing some testing, but I think we should concentrate on 3.97 until Takehiro gives us the "go!" sign.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #9
Might be useful in doing some testing, but I think we should concentrate on 3.97 until Takehiro gives us the "go!" sign.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278201"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right. I remember Takehiro was mildly annoyed last time people jumped the gun and started madly speculating about lame 4.

I hope people without any clue about LAME development won't go around announcing these pre-testing versions anymore.

Reply #10
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278201"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right. I remember Takehiro was mildly annoyed last time people jumped the gun and started madly speculating about lame 4.

I hope people without any clue about LAME development won't go around announcing these pre-testing versions anymore.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278217"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

there should be a password protection for the archive...something like "FOR TESTING ONLY" would be good
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #11
Thing is there seems to be no documentation or build notes/change logs surrounding this build. Which makes it quite hard to test and what to look our for.

For a start i dont even know who built it. And i was suprised to see it leap frog alpha 7 build and thread. 

Reply #12
Thing is there seems to be no documentation or build notes/change logs surrounding this build. Which makes it quite hard to test and what to look our for. [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278333"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Quite simply, this version shouldn't be tested. At all. The developers aren't asking for it.

So, you shouldn't be looking out for anything.

Move on, people... leave LAME 4 alone until one of the devs asks for testing.

Reply #13
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278336"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Definatly seems like the best suggestion. Is this the result of an open source project where the CVS can be accessed by anyone? Who are the respected active developers of this board? I see Gabriel mentioned a few times and his web site is very interesting

Reply #14
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Definatly seems like the best suggestion. Is this the result of an open source project where the CVS can be accessed by anyone? Who are the respected active developers of this board? I see Gabriel mentioned a few times and his web site is very interesting
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278340"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="http://lame.sourceforge.net/developers.html]http://lame.sourceforge.net/developers.html[/url]

Reply #15
I can't believe the fuss this has generated!!!  So, it's gone again!!

Reply #16
Move Along, citizens. There's Nothing to See Here! 

Reply #17
Move Along, citizens. There's Nothing to See Here! 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278370"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Too late 

Reply #18
I can't believe the fuss this has generated!!!   So, it's gone again!!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278356"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Reply #19
I can't believe the fuss this has generated!!!   So, it's gone again!!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278356"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Looks like it's back up again with a suitable "FOR TESTING ONLY" warning.

I know that I'm always interested to take a quick look (and listen) to these alpha compiles and get a feel for how the lame4 development is proceeding.  I'm sure that many others similarly like to have a curious look and do so without making any fuss about it.

So thanks to John33 for reinstating it.

Reply #20
Before there are any other comments, this is there for your own appreciation only. Neither Takehiro, nor any of the other lame-devs, is directly interested in any testing you may do at this time.

There is no Change Log, or any other relevant documentation. LAME 4.0 is virtually a total rewrite, so little if any of the work done on 3.9x will go forward.

So, have some fun with it, but don't even consider using it for any other purpose.

Reply #21
LAME 4.0 is virtually a total rewrite, so little if any of the work done on 3.9x will go forward.

"Rewrite" is right.  The 4.0 alpha is blazingly fast even compared with the 3.97 alphas, at least on my pc. Nice.

Thanks john33 for putting it up again. these alphas are indeed a lot of fun to play with.
WavPack 4.31 / LAME 3.98 alpha 3 -V9 -vbr-new

Reply #22
At first its amazingly fast but then the fun ends. 

Reply #23
LAME 4.0 is virtually a total rewrite, so little if any of the work done on 3.9x will go forward.

If thats the case, then i wonder: Looking at the promising test-results of the upcoming 3.97, wouldn't it make sense - after 3.97 got finished - to say "okay, thats it - the 3.9x series reached its limits - now lets focus all efforts on lame4" ?

I mean, if 3.97 turns out as good as it seems, then we would have a tuned, stable and good 3.97 - a perfect point to abandon the 3.9x series (except of possible bugfixes) and focus all energy on lame4 because all work on the 3.9x series cannot be "ported" to the future of lame(4).

I'm kinda curious on whats the strategy of the lame-devs on this matter.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #24

If thats the case, then i wonder: Looking at the promising test-results of the upcoming 3.97, wouldn't it make sense - after 3.97 got finished - to say "okay, thats it - the 3.9x series reached its limits - now lets focus all efforts on lame4" ?

I mean, if 3.97 turns out as good as it seems, then we would have a tuned, stable and good 3.97 - a perfect point to abandon the 3.9x series (except of possible bugfixes) and focus all energy on lame4 because all work on the 3.9x series cannot be "ported" to the future of lame(4).

I'm kinda curious on whats the strategy of the lame-devs on this matter.

- Lyx
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Lyx - see this [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=29575&view=findpost&p=263440]thread[/url]. I asked the very same thing.