Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_pod - Foobar2000 meets the iPod (Read 1309105 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_pod - Foobar2000 meets the iPod

Reply #1950
after clearing the entire memory and using foo_pod to put my music back, i only get some albums with the date tag

most of my albums have date tags

anyone have any ideas
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=374851"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have always wondered what it it meant when the documentation said "note that mixing brackets with $functions may give unpredictable results and should be avoided (use $if() instead)". Does it mean that we shouldn't mix square brackets with any $functions except $if, or should we only use $if instead of square brackets if we have to use other $functions in the first place?

I'd try this. It's a lot more simple, should give you the results you're looking for, and might address that vague problem in the documentation:

Code: [Select]
[[%date% ]%album%]

Reply #1951
after clearing the entire memory and using foo_pod to put my music back, i only get some albums with the date tag

most of my albums have date tags

anyone have any ideas
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=374851"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have always wondered what it it meant when the documentation said "note that mixing brackets with $functions may give unpredictable results and should be avoided (use $if() instead)". Does it mean that we shouldn't mix square brackets with any $functions except $if, or should we only use $if instead of square brackets if we have to use other $functions in the first place?

I'd try this. It's a lot more simple, should give you the results you're looking for, and might address that vague problem in the documentation:

Code: [Select]
[[%date% ]%album%]

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=376047"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yeah that is confusing. ill try your code.

Reply #1952
I've put the dll in my components folder, but when I start foobar I get a message: " Failed to load DLL: foo_pod.dll, reason: Unable to load DLL.".  Any idea why?

Reply #1953
Is there a version of this wonderful DLL that works for 0.9 yet? If not, is there something I can use instead? (besides the obvious answer of iTunes.)

Reply #1954
There is no other plug-in available that is independent of iTunes. As for a ported v.09 version, that is still up in the air, as far as I know. Hopefully, Aero will address that issue soon. I still have FB2K v0.8.3 installed solely for use with foo_pod.
Surf's Up!
"Columnated Ruins Domino"

Reply #1955
There is no other plug-in available that is independent of iTunes. As for a ported v.09 version, that is still up in the air, as far as I know. Hopefully, Aero will address that issue soon. I still have FB2K v0.8.3 installed solely for use with foo_pod.

I hope it is soon! I bought an iPod and I don't want to use iTunes.

I'll wait, but I hope Aero is working on it.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #1956

I'm not sure how it's going to work, seeing as 0.9 uses ID3v2.4 tags, and (some) iPods can't read them.

Reply #1957
I'm not sure how it's going to work, seeing as 0.9 uses ID3v2.4 tags, and (some) iPods can't read them.

No iPod reads tags from the files. The tags that it cares about (artist, album, genre, title) are all stored in a database file which is created by the software you use to copy the tracks onto the iPod. The reason that ID3v2.4 tags don't work is because iTunes can't read them properly.
BTW, they work for me using the latest iTunes, except that it displays two identical entries for every artist.

Reply #1958
I also had problems with iPod and music, tagged with foobar2000. Fixed everything by retagging every file with ID3v2 tags only (without v1 or Ape).

Reply #1959
Really?

That got me scared.

I rely on APEv2 tags...
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #1960
Dumb question - where do you find out how your stuff is tagged?  I use whatever tags EAC/flac produces, transcoded via foo_pod to LAME mp3, on my iPod Mini without a problem.
voted 'Most likely to veer your thread' three straight years!

Reply #1961
Dumb question - where do you find out how your stuff is tagged?  I use whatever tags EAC/flac produces, transcoded via foo_pod to LAME mp3, on my iPod Mini without a problem.

'Propeties' from context menu in foobar. Look for something like: tagtype = apev2|id3v1 in the "Other info" box.

Reply #1962
Hi there,

any news on the foo_pod update to version 0.9? 

Chris

Reply #1964
patiently waiting.... 

Reply #1965
Is there any was to tell how large a transcoded (ie - .flac > LAME mp3) file is/will be, after it's trans'ed?  It'd take some of the guesswork out of deciding if just one more file will fit in my iPod.

I think I already know the answer ('no'), but I thought I'd ask anyway...
voted 'Most likely to veer your thread' three straight years!

Reply #1966
Hi.

Have installed foo_pod for my daughter who has just got an Nano.  A lot of our music library is in FLAC and OGG and iTunes is of no use whatsoever.  Foo_pod does the trick.  Thankyou!

I have a couple of questions relating to Album art.

1. Was wondering how to get album art onto the Nano.  It seems iTunes is the only way.  I have tried embeding art in to the mp3's but it doesnt work. 

2. If iTunes is the only way....how do I get iTunes to use all the folder.jpgs i have?

Also.  After using foo_pod I can see the Nano contents in iTunes.  Is that a feature or has something gone wrong?

Reply #1967
How did you convert your file to mp3?  Using the lame option in foobar/foo_pod I expect.

1. In order to get album art to display in your nano, you have to add the jpg images to the mp3 tag inside the mp3 file.  Use Mp3tag (which is free) to add the images.

2.  You can add image to a mp4 (or m4a in itunes case) the same way as an mp3 using the mp3tag program.

3.  You should see the contents of what is on your nano in itunes when you browse to the ipod view so I guess this would be called a feature so nothing has gone wrong.

moderation: Removed unnecesarry full quote of previous post.

Reply #1968
Thanks and oops.  I meant to say I cannot see the iPod contents in iTunes. 

Also I tried adding embedding art using Mp3tag and it didnt work.

Reply #1969
Foo_pod doesn't fully support the latest iTunes DBs so that why you can't see it in iTunes.

Reply #1970
some information on the 0.9 port would be nice...

Reply #1971
I am having some confusion over how exactly the "Replaygain Adjustment Works".

Let's say I:

1. Add a single mp3 either with or without "soundcheck" data into a foo_pod playlist.

2. Right click the file and use either track or album replaygain.

3. In foo_pod preferences/advanced - I set"replaygain adjustment" +6dB

4. Send the file to iPod

Now...if I:

1. Clear all playlists in foobar

2. Use foo_pod to "Load ipod songs to foobar2000 playlist"

3. Right click the file I just sent and "Show file info (special)", it in fact displays the proper replaygain value according to my "+6 adjustment" in foo_pod from step 3 above. All seems good right?

However......

If I click on "Reload info" from within "Show file info (special)", it reverts the replaygain values back to if I had done no adjustment in foo_pod. Back to if it just had the default 89dB.

Also, if I copy that file back to my HD - with or without clicking on the "reload info", then loading that file back into foobar. It will also show replaygain with the default 89dB, and not with my +6 adjustment from foo_pod.

My question is, if there was in fact a change applied - why would clicking "reload info" change the displayed replaygain value? Why doesn't it stay displaying with my +6 adjustment?

Another question. Is this the best method for transferring mp3s to iPod using foo_pod, if I want to use the "replaygain adjustment"?

1. Load unmodified tracks into playlist (IE no previous soundcheck, replaygain, or mp3gain data)

2. Highlight all and do track or album replaygain

3. Set "replaygain adgustment" in foo_pod to desired level

4. Highlight all and "Send files to iPod"

That will automatically create soundcheck info on all my files, according to my +6dB replaygain adjustment? Or in step one, do I need to load files with existing soundcheck  data on them?

Which now brings me back to my first question dealing with the "reload info" thing.

Sorry if this is all so easy but I'm kinda new at all this, and I hope I did a good enough job of explaining what I'm asking.

Thank you greatly in advance for any and all help.

Reply #1972
Any news on cue support for foo_pod? I store all my music losslessly as one file and a cue sheet, if foo_pod supports cue sheets, then it'll be perfect.

Reply #1973
My question is, if there was in fact a change applied - why would clicking "reload info" change the displayed replaygain value? Why doesn't it stay displaying with my +6 adjustment?

The ipod doesn't read soundcheck data, or any tags for that matter, from the file itself.  The information is stored in a separate database, so foo_pod is probably adding the correct information to the database without modifying the actual tags on the mp3.  Have you tried to confirm if it's working by sending the same file with and without +6 adjustment and listening for the difference?

Another question. Is this the best method for transferring mp3s to iPod using foo_pod, if I want to use the "replaygain adjustment"?

Those steps look fine to me.  The files shouldn't need existing soundcheck data.

Reply #1974
Rockbox has now created firmware for the iPod that allows for gapless playback and other useful features.  This is good news for audiophiles like us, but will we be able to use foo_pod to transfer songs to an iPod with Rockbox firmware? Will the ReplayGain levels translate to SoundCheck?