Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Speaker set (Read 7418 times) previous topic - next topic

Speaker set

Hello,

I'm looking for a 5.1 surround speaker set. I've been looking for a while, and I am getting lost in the process.

I've been looking at speakers from Sony, Mission, Bose and what not, but I can't listen to each set, and none really seems to be much different from the other, to my ears - although I must admit that the sony sa ve 835 and the mission speakers all sound pretty damn good - (and they will sound differently from how they will sound in my room).

My budget is max $500. Which set would you recommend?

Speaker set

Reply #1
For $500 I would go 2-channel myself.  That just isn't enough money for a decent 5.1 set, IMO.
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Speaker set

Reply #2
I guess they might be a lil lower-end than you were wanting (4/5 max budget), but the Logitech Z-680 speakers are the best sounding speakers I've ever found for their price. =)

Speaker set

Reply #3
For $500 I would go 2-channel myself.  That just isn't enough money for a decent 5.1 set, IMO.

Some people would say you can only just get decent headphones for that money

But if you want 5.1 for low-fi positional stuff (movies, games), I think $500 is fine and any of the brands you mention yourself are sufficient. It's mostly speech and low frequency effects... so, pay attention to the sub!

Speaker set

Reply #4
But if you want 5.1 for low-fi positional stuff (movies, games), I think $500 is fine and any of the brands you mention yourself are sufficient. It's mostly speech and low frequency effects... so, pay attention to the sub!

Its all opinion, I know, but even for movies and games, IMHO, a 2.1 system at this price will outshine a 5.1 system any day.
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Speaker set

Reply #5

Yeah, I'd recommend the same. You should first buy a nice pair of stereo speakers. And when there is some money to spend a year or so later buy a center speaker and after that the two rear speakers.. and if you still got some money: buy a subwoofer!

That's how I'm doing it. Actually I'm stuck with my stereo speakers since a year and a half... It sounds well enough. Maybe this happens to you, that would help to save a lot money!
I love the moderators.

Speaker set

Reply #6
I guess they might be a lil lower-end than you were wanting (4/5 max budget), but the Logitech Z-680 speakers are the best sounding speakers I've ever found for their price. =)

I second that. A friend of mine has them and all I can do is envy him. They are quite impressive sound quality wise. If your main concern is movies and games, then these are more than adequate imo. The limiting factor is probably your neighbour.

Speaker set

Reply #7

I second that. A friend of mine has them and all I can do is envy him. They are quite impressive sound quality wise. If your main concern is movies and games, then these are more than adequate imo. The limiting factor is probably your neighbour.

Do they still have that constant noise ("Rauschen") when they are turned on? Even c't magazine pointed that out in their test; they couldn't recommend it because of that. In fact, i returned my Logitech speakers (totally different model) because of the same flaw! There was always a faint noise coming from the satellite speakers.

Speaker set

Reply #8
A friend of mine has what looks like the 4.1 version of that set, and I find the subwoofer to be totally overpowered compared to the rest of the system. The bass is WAY too dominant.

I know some people like that, and I don't mind some phat bass either, but this is extreme.

Edit: This is it: Logitech® Z-560.

Speaker set

Reply #9
I second getting a 2.1/2.0 bookshelves, way better for anything hi-fi related (music especially) logitech speakers are crap imo, but you you get a lot for the price I guess.  If you want a lil HTiB kit, i'd stay away from sony or bose.

Speaker set

Reply #10
Ok, so let's leave the budget issue out of the picture.

Which set would you buy?

Speaker set

Reply #11
Do they still have that constant noise ("Rauschen") when they are turned on?

I read that article in c't magazine. I didn't notice any noise (but most of the time we were listening to music and not silence ). According to that article Logitech promised to fix that in future sets and offer a replacement for those affected.

A friend of mine has what looks like the 4.1 version of that set, and I find the subwoofer to be totally overpowered compared to the rest of the system. The bass is WAY too dominant.

Looks like the same subwoofer, but the satellites and center speaker of the 680 have more power.
Code: [Select]
Z-680
# Subwoofer power output:  188 Watts RMS
# Satellite speaker power output:  317 Watts RMS (62 Watts RMS per channel for satellites; 69 Watts RMS for center channel)

Z-560
# Total power output: 400 watts RMS
# Satellite speaker power output: 53 watts RMS per channel
# Subwoofer power output: 188 watts RMS

So you have 188W / 317W vs. 188W / 212W. The bass didn't seem over dominant to me. But I belong to those people that appreciate lots of bass, so maybe I wouldn't notice. Maybe your friend had placed the sub at an unlucky position? I currently have some ugly resonance at ca 110Hz which I have to equalize away to keep it from sounding ugly.

edit: the Z-680 has built in DTS etc decoder, something to consider.

Speaker set

Reply #12
Well, there are a lot of considerations on a system, I'd consider first off, how big is your room?  Do you plan to watch a lot of dvd movies? Play a lot of games? Music?  Do you want inter-connectivity with game consoles / TV etc?  How long do you want this set of speakers to last you? Couple of years? 10 years?

For PC based multi media speakers, I'd consider waiting for reviews on the new Klipsch 5.1 Ultras, the Logitech 680s are fairly good speakers for the price, you get good connectivity with all your entertainment units, game consoles, dvd, pc, etc, the decoding for your dvd and console sounds.  And it is a small unit, fits in small to medium sized room and can fill that room with sound.  Logitech speakers are known to have a lot of bass, (popular for DVDs and gaming) and they tend to fail on the music side of things, but maybe you arn't too picky when it comes to your tunes.  The Klipsch speakers 'sound' better overall, but to get the same connectivity you have to purchase the DD decoder seperately, putting the price much higher, and the increase in sound quality may not be justifiable to you, you'd really have to hear them both to make that judgement for yourself.  Klipsch bass is more 'rich' and deep, the logitech bass is more boomy and louder, rumbly.  I personally prefer the klipsch satellites to the logitech ones, I like the monsoon satellites too, they are cheap to be found now as they are getting out of the multimedia speaker business or so i've read. I'd definetly look into the megaworks line of speakers, they offer a balance between the logitech's dominant bass and the harshness some people find in the klipsch tweeters. In all honesty, nobody can tell you what speakers sound better, you MUST audition them in your local store or at home or a friends place if possible. 

What I would recommend if you are more worried about sound quality and hifi related things such as detailed music, I would purchase a decent set of bookshelves (so many choices here, a whole nother thread is here about it somewhere I think) and a good amp, you can purchase a 5.1 A/V amp or just a good stereo int. amp for now, up to you.  And a sub maybe for now, and then add on centre, and surround speakers later as you can afford them, you will end up spending at least $2000 on that type of a sytem in the end (at least $500-1000 to start) to obtain some good quality, but you will have a far better setup.  You want to have a medium sized dedicated computer/listening room that you use for a bigger system like this, you can always move it to your living room / tv later in life if spending a lot of time listening to music and watching movies on your computer isn't what you are doing anymore.  Personally, 2.0/2.1 speaker systems sound great, even for DVDs, compared to these 5.1/6.1 etc PC speaker systems.

Speaker set

Reply #13

This is completely accurate, I actually own this (Z-560) set but never use it anymore (have enough standalone amps to go around now). The bass is significantly overexagerrated, and the bass knob needs to be turned all the way down to even approach flat response.

Looks like the same subwoofer, but the satellites and center speaker of the 680 have more power.

All of the components outside of the decoder/control center and amplifiers are completely identical outside of cosmetic differences. Note that the power rating scheme used in rating "multimedia computer speakers" is somewhat different from that used in discrete components.

In addition, the logitech systems have a reputation for being unreliable, and can take months to replace via RMA.

I've been looking at speakers from Sony, Mission, Bose and what not

I am not a big fan of Sony or Bose speakers, they tend to be overpriced (particularly the latter). Mission makes good stuff, but tends to be somewhat steep as well. I'd recommend you spend a good chunk on a decent ($200) subwoofer, and then pick up several pairs of some smaller mag-shielded bookshelf speakers like the
AR 215, the Polk R15 and the Yamaha NS-6390.
    This is of course assuming you already possess a 5.1 amplifier. If you do not, then I would go for some good stereo speakers + amp for ~$500.
edited for syntax

Speaker set

Reply #14
I read that article in c't magazine. I didn't notice any noise (but most of the time we were listening to music and not silence ). According to that article Logitech promised to fix that in future sets and offer a replacement for those affected.

Yes, when you listen to music, you don't hear it. But when you have a pretty silent PC like me, this gets on your nerves very easily, believe me. And this is not the only review where i read this! I think a lot of models are/were affected by this. I wouldn't buy Logitech speakers without having a full money back guarantee, because if i turn them on and they have this hiss, they can sound as good as they want...

Speaker set

Reply #15
Let me explain my situation.

I have a 5.1 JVC receiver and of course a DVD player. I have two Poineer speakers (which sound pretty good). What I would need is two extra shelf speakers, a centre speaker and a subwoofer.
For shelf speakers I've been looking at the Sony SS LA 300, because I like the way they look
On a related note: Sony likes to call these and a few other speakers 'Extended Definition'. Are there any factual differences between ED and regular sony speakers, except for the price?

If I would get the above speakers, I would most likely get the entire set, because my pioneers are black and bigger.

-babbles on and on ..

Speaker set

Reply #16
I couldn't tell whether you are looking for PC speakers or home theater speakers, but for my PC I use a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system.

These are on my wishlist: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1.  410-watts nominal.  Oustanding sound if they're anything close to my 2.1 setup.  I have seen them for ~$495.

Here is the Klipsch Dealer Locator to find a local dealer so you can do the most important test...listen and compare for yourself.

I personally listened to models from Altec Lansing, Polk Audio, and a couple of others, but when I finally heard the Klipsch's my decision was made.  I never compared them myself to the Logitech's that people are touting, though.  A good soundcard is necessary to really appreciate them, IMO.  When I was running them from my Yamaha AC-XG integrated audio sub-system, they were good (and still better than anything else I had heard).  But when I got my Echo Indigo, it was a world of difference...

And if you're looking for home theater speakers instead, then Klipsch is still a standout.  Start with their homepage, find some models that meet your needs, then find prices from various dealers to see what fits your budget.

Edit: And then I just read your last post...that's what I get for having a reply window sitting open for an hour while I eat dinner.  Oh well...ignore the rest of my post except the part about going to the Klipsch homepage and checking out their whole line.  They have plenty of systems for either home theater or PC.

Speaker set

Reply #17
I have been very happy with my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers for my computer. Klipsch also makes a 5.1 set for around 500.00. The 2.1 set runs about 150-200 dollars US right now. If you are refering to a 5.1 setup for a living room hi-fi system, I was eyeing the B&W DM 600 speakers with a matching B&W center speaker and subwoofer for sometime, then my money saved up for it went for another emergency
you will make mp3's for compatibility reasons.

Speaker set

Reply #18
It is almost scary, everytime I think about making a post about my Klipsch 2.1 speakers, ScorLibran beats me to it by 1 post. This has happened twice now on HA. I hope Scor isn't tuned to some secret frequency that my brain is sending out!!!!   

Speaker set

Reply #19
It is almost scary, everytime I think about making a post about my Klipsch 2.1 speakers, ScorLibran beats me to it by 1 post. This has happened twice now on HA. I hope Scor isn't tuned to some secret frequency that my brain is sending out!!!!    

The funniest part is that my response time wasn't even "quick" on my end.  The reply window sat open as I ate a meal and watched Fox News for a while in another room.  Then I came back and finished the reply.

It is odd that we've been "in synch" twice in a row now when talking speaker systems.  3-to-1 you beat me when posting next time.     

Edit: B&W is a brand I've been interested in, too.  I've been wanting to go down to the Tweeter Home Entertainment that installed my car audio system and do a listening test with some models, as they carry B&W.  But then again, I'm scared I might fall in love with them and spend money I don't have...   

Anyway, in my living room, I'm fairly happy with my Bose Acoustimass-10 system for the time being.  But when the time comes to replace it, it'll probably be with either Klipsch or B&W.

Speaker set

Reply #20
I have a 5.1 JVC receiver and of course a DVD player. I have two Poineer speakers (which sound pretty good). What I would need is two extra shelf speakers, a centre speaker and a subwoofer.

Passive speakers it is then - anything else is a waste of money for unecessary amplifiers and circuitry.

For shelf speakers I've been looking at the Sony SS LA 300, because I like the way they look
On a related note: Sony likes to call these and a few other speakers 'Extended Definition'. Are there any factual differences between ED and regular sony speakers, except for the price?

I have never heard these particular speakers. I would assume that "extended definition" is probably a marketing differentiation betwen the cheap plastic single-driver + "sub" bundle systems Sony sells millions of and multidriver speakers like those you linked.

I cannot stress strongly enough the necessity of auditioning speakers before you purchase them; what sounds good to some (horn loaded tweeters, dipole radiating speakers) can sound downright irritating to others.

With your budget you should invest in a decent powered subwoofer (a good 10" in the 150W (actual - not multimedia rated) range should be quite feasible), and spend the rest on shelf satellites. Also, if you intend to keep your Pioneer front channel speakers, you may wish to try to find sats and a center that 'voice match' the Pioneer's.
  For passive speakers I like Definitive, Pinnacle, Paradigm, PSB, MB Quart, NHT, B&W & KEF.

The Paradigm Micro and Atom in particular, can be found for extremely reasonable prices used on-line. In terms of output quality they are far in excess of any multimedia satellite speakers bar none, and are quite likely significantly better than the Sony's you linked.

Speaker set

Reply #21
ScorLibran,

If you want to get SERIOUS about Klipsch, get a pair of Klipschorns for your big sound playback CELL in your house. These babies pump out 104db@ 1 meter for 1 watt of input! With a decent 100 watt amp, you could watch your ears bleed right before you die from the sound pressure levels!

Seriously though, the B&W to my ears have some of the most accurate reproduction of sound I have ever heard, at any price point. B&W speakers have always aimed for accuracy rather than bravado. Take a good chamber orchestra recording with you when you go to audition. Beautiful, smooth, non strident reproduction of string instruments. And since they do not color the sound to any noticible extent, they can handle other types of music just as well-the old garbage in-garbage out principle-but they won't add extra coloration to the garbage!!!!

I have not auditioned the conventional (non horn loaded) Klipsch Hi-Fi speakers in a long time-the last ones I think were the heresies, which was the first line they came out with that broke away from the Paul Klipsch Horn Loaded tradition (hence the Heresy name) . But you and I agree, it would take a lot to move me away from their computer line-they are simply extraodinary for the money.

Speaker set

Reply #22
I forgot to mention my main concern is music, but of course I will play the occasional DVD

Oh yeah.. and my PC audio is also connected to the receiver.

Speaker set

Reply #23
I forgot to mention my main concern is music

Hmm. This implies to me that you would benefit a lot from better speakers than the Pioneers for the front stereo pair.
Do you plan on doing critical listening with some multichannel stereo DSP setting in your reciever, or with the front speakers (and maybe sub) exclusively?

Speaker set

Reply #24
Yes, when I listen to music I use the stereo to multichannel interface of the receiver.