Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking for decent active 2.1 PC speaker system (Read 4261 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for decent active 2.1 PC speaker system

Hi!

It is my brother's birthday soon and he's supposed to get some decent active speakers for his PC. I have been looking at the Altec Lansing 621 at ca. 120€. Unfortunately they wouldn't ship on time, so now I'm looking for alternatives.

Requirements:
- The speaker system should cost no more than 120€
- Of course they should sound good (with regard to the price range)
- This includes a decent amount of oomph (he listens to trance mostly)
- They must be active speakers
- A 2.1 system would be ideal. My bro doesn't have any surround ambitions. I also think that at this price you will have to sacrifice sound quality, if you axpect to get 5 speakers and a sub. If per chance you do know a mind-blowing 5.1 or 4.1 set, don't refrain from posting.

Unfortunately, most reviews I've found on the net are either in the low price segment (50€) or much higher (300€+).

TIA, Gecko

Reply #1
I bought this Klipsch Promedia 2.1 setup several months ago.  I don't know what the current conversion rate is, so forgive me if these are not in the range you specified.

Even thought I'm running these speakers from a cheapie soundcard, I am very impressed with them.  They have 200 watts (130 to the sub, 35 to each satellite), and plenty of oomph.  I listen to some trance/electronica/techno as well, and these speakers can shake the room long before clipping/distortion becomes audible (to my ears, anyway).  They also have an integrated headphone amp in case your brother's soundcard amp isn't great.  My soundcard is really weak driving cans directly, but plugging into the Klipsch headphone output is a huge difference.  It helps out somewhat with the ABXing even with Fontopia's.  And the direct portable player line-in is handy as well.

They list at Amazon.com for US$169, but I actually got mine on sale at Best Buy for just under US$150.  And speaking of 5.1 active speaker systems (and although far out of the desired price range) check out the Klipsch 500-watt 5.1 offering...US$400 but almost every review I read says they are incredible.  Maybe not quite in Martin Logan class, but great bang-for-the-buck.

Edit:  Added some details...

Reply #2
I own a Yamaha set(ystms50) and - to my ears - it sounds pretty good compared to other brands at the same price range.
Here you can get a close look.
Yamaha sells it for US $120, but I believe it can be found for less on independent dealers.
"Jazz washes away the dust of everyday life" (Art Blakey)

Reply #3
Hello Gecko,

I second ScorLibran's recommendation. The Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers are excellent.  I picked them by auditioning active speakers in the 75-200 US dollar price range. From my informal listening, they did not color chamber music as much as other computer speakers, and I figured if they reproduce  Bach and Couperin well, they should be fine for Rock. And they ARE-smooth reproduction, plenty of bass. And the price came down from the 199.99 I paid to around 150.00 US. Check them out if you can.
you will make mp3's for compatibility reasons.

Reply #4
Thx for the suggestions. I'm sorry to say that the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 sell for 260€ which is simply too expensive. 120€ is the absolute maximum.

For the record, the current conversion rate is 1 Euro buys 1.12 Dollars.

LIF, I will check out the Yamahas, but I haven't heard much good about Yamaha PC speakers in general.

Reply #5
@ Gecko - How about the Hercules XPS 210:)

I was also looking for some 2.1 speakers and I found these!

These speakers got better reviews then the Altec Lansing 621 and don't cost as much.

Hope this was helpful.

Reply #6
Have a look at the Altec Lansing systems. They generally produce very decent computer speakers.

Reply #7
Hi!

It is my brother's birthday soon and he's supposed to get some decent active speakers for his PC. I have been looking at the Altec Lansing 621 at ca. 120€. Unfortunately they wouldn't ship on time, so now I'm looking for alternatives.

Requirements:
- The speaker system should cost no more than 120€
- Of course they should sound good (with regard to the price range)
- This includes a decent amount of oomph (he listens to trance mostly)
- They must be active speakers
- A 2.1 system would be ideal. My bro doesn't have any surround ambitions. I also think that at this price you will have to sacrifice sound quality, if you axpect to get 5 speakers and a sub. If per chance you do know a mind-blowing 5.1 or 4.1 set, don't refrain from posting.

Unfortunately, most reviews I've found on the net are either in the low price segment (50€) or much higher (300€+).

TIA, Gecko

Hi,

useful speakers are starting in the range 110...120 €/Speaker for passive speakers.
It looks like there's no good chance to get useful active speakers in the range of 120€/Pair.

Useful speaker:

Tannoy Reveal Active            (555 €/Pair)
Tannoy Reveal Passive          (222 €/Pair)
  + used Amplifier @ebay
Nubert NuBox 310                  (254 €/Pair)
  + used Amplifier @ebay

I don't think it's possible to build a good speaker much below this prices.
Diocletian

Time Travel Agency
Book a journey to the Diocletian Palace. Not today!

Reply #8
I believe we're not talking high fidelity but speakers that won't cause a headache when listening to trance- music. I follow those suggestions with interest, too.

Reply #9
Well, we got him the Altec Lansing 621 speakers after all, since I couldn't find any better.

They sound very nice and provide lots of oomph. Enough to bother the rest of the house. They surpassed my expectations and deserve to be recommended. They blow away most compact systems found in the rooms of today's youth.