Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to adhere my tagging standard to comply with Foobar? (Read 2575 times) previous topic - next topic

How to adhere my tagging standard to comply with Foobar?

Hi, I am very new to foobar, just started with the all new 0.9.5. I have been using Winamp5 for several years and have noticed that foobar reads some tags slightly different than Winamp, as I will explain:

My audio collection comprises of Oggs and MP3s. My tagging tool of choice was MP3Tag v2.33a and my tagging standard was as follows:

Oggs -> VorbisComment (what else?!)
MP3s -> only ID3v2 (ID3v1 and APEs removed)

When importing my files into foobar the year and track# become tricky problem children. My above mentioned tagging tool applies these tags to both Oggs and MP3s consistently as follows:
track = 03/11
year = 1969

Foobar interprets this as follows:

Oggs:
track = 03/11
totaltracks = ?
date = 1969

MP3s:
track = 03
totaltracks = 11
date = 1969

...and very strangely with some, but not all MP3s, and only displayed in this way in the playlist, not in selection properties:
date = 1969, 1969

What do I need to do to achieve consistency between Oggs and MP3s in foobar? And further question: Which tag type for MP3 should I use in future? Does it make sense to stick to only ID3v2 as I have been doing so far?

Thanks for help.

Reply #1
I assume that you still have Mp3tag installed and if you continue using it, I suggest to update to the latest official release or the current Development Build.

To copy the total number of tracks to the TOTALTRACKS field within the Vorbis Comment you can again use an Mp3tag action 'Format values' for the field TOTALTRACKS with a format string %_total%
Afterwards you can remove the total number of tracks from the TRACK field by using an Mp3tag action 'Format values' for the field TRACKS with a format string $num(%track%,2)

I'm sure that you can also achieve this by using the Properties dialog from foobar2000, but I can't think of an easy solution right now (and I must admit that I'm also just more familiar with Mp3tag ).

Regarding the duplicate date field you can use the extended tag dialog from Mp3tag to remove the duplicate value (since it seems that the Properties dialog doesn't show duplicate fields with the same content).

And I think using only ID3v2 at MP3s is the right decision as long as you don't depend on hardware players that only read ID3v1.

Reply #3
Wonderful! With the lastest versions of Mp3Tag and foobar, this issue is history. Thanks!