Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Benefits of Rockbox? (Read 8307 times) previous topic - next topic

Benefits of Rockbox?

Hey Guys!

My new Sansa Fuze (V2) has just arrived. Few people mentioned I should flash the original firmware with Rockbox.
I did some reading over the Rockbox site and i'm worried about two things:

1. DRM - The manual mentioning there is a good chance I will not be able to use files with DRM after the update. I dont have any DRM files at the moment but I was wondering why is that and if I should be worried about that?
2. I need to Flash a new Bootloader. If I'll find the player faulty in the next couple of days, I probably will want to return the original firmware before sending it to Sandisk. Is it possible to roll back? Does Flashing Rockbox remove warranty?

So because of those questions, I really want to know what are the benefits of Rockbox vs the original Firmware.I really don't care about UI and Customization. Does it do anything concrete? Like for example - improving the Sound Quality?

Thanks!

Update: I just noticed I published it under *CD* software and not just software
Can you please move it to the right forum?
Thanks.

Benefits of Rockbox?

Reply #1
1. Because DRM requires an integrated solution which Rockbox cannot deliver.
2. Yes, it is possible to roll back. The installer will modify the stock firmware. You can follow the Sandisk procedure for firmware upgrades to get back to stock. In fact, you can dual boot (which is necessary for the Fuze in order to transfer files - only possible with OF).

For me the 2 biggest benefits are that I can play so many more formats and take advantage of gapless playback.

Benefits of Rockbox?

Reply #2
1. Because DRM requires an integrated solution which Rockbox cannot deliver.
2. Yes, it is possible to roll back. The installer will modify the stock firmware. You can follow the Sandisk procedure for firmware upgrades to get back to stock. In fact, you can dual boot (which is necessary for the Fuze in order to transfer files - only possible with OF).

For me the 2 biggest benefits are that I can play so many more formats and take advantage of gapless playback.

Thanks for your answer :-)

It says on the manual that "It is possible that installation of the bootloader may lead to you permanently losing the ability to playback files with DRM". If it is just something Rockbox cannot deliver, Doesn't it mean that if I'll roll-back to the original firmware it should be OK?

Only posible with OF? can you please explain what OF stands for?
Should I be worried about Warranty in case of Rockbox installation? Or anyways Sandisk don't have a way to know if I'll flash the original Bootloader?

And last thing - I need to encode the files with gapless support if I want to use this feature right?

Benefits of Rockbox?

Reply #3
It says on the manual that "It is possible that installation of the bootloader may lead to you permanently losing the ability to playback files with DRM". If it is just something Rockbox cannot deliver, Doesn't it mean that if I'll roll-back to the original firmware it should be OK?

Probably, but I don't know that anyone has ever tried. 

And last thing - I need to encode the files with gapless support if I want to use this feature right?

Yes, but all mp3, ogg, flac, ape, aac and mpc files in the last decade or so should be gapless.  Its rather hard to find non-gapless files these days. 

Benefits of Rockbox?

Reply #4
Hey Guys!

...there is a good chance I will not be able to use files with DRM after the update. I dont have any DRM files at the moment but I was wondering why is that and if I should be worried about that?

If you don't currently have files that are DRMed this should not be a concern. Any music you download from iTunes or Zune is now DRM-free. The other major online sources I know of (like Amazon) are also DRM-free. This should be a non-issue now.
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.

Benefits of Rockbox?

Reply #5
Re 2. If you're worried about a broken player, then use it with the stock firmware for a few weeks then try rockbox.

I still use a 1st gen nano thanks to rockbox  Replaygain support, gapless playback etc all make it far better than what Apple did. I can even display album art now.

Benefits of Rockbox?

Reply #6
Only posible with OF? can you please explain what OF stands for?

OF stands for Original Firmware.

I have Fuze v2 and I bought it specially to use Rockbox on it. Have you read the page What is Rockbox? Why should I use it? It's a nice summary of Rockbox features...

Cheers
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

Benefits of Rockbox?

Reply #7
I use Rockbox on my E200 V2. The biggest advantage is navigating thorugh directories instead of only playlists or using the database.
The next thing to me is that it still can handle more codecs than the orig FW, e.g. mpc.

The Sandisk-Sansa-products are without Rockbox still a very very lacking, poor product in the meaning of navigation and usability, sort of. The hardware is rocking, but you STILL need the firmware-tweaks to get the most out of the products. And its a pitty in some way that sandisk is selling products made of a lot of recources and lacks/fails in using its full potential, or even most of the potential - but thats a common disease nowadays, look at most of the pads/tablets you'll find up to christmas, electronic trash for some short-lasting cheap feelings..

Benefits of Rockbox?

Reply #8
Hey Guys!

...there is a good chance I will not be able to use files with DRM after the update. I dont have any DRM files at the moment but I was wondering why is that and if I should be worried about that?

If you don't currently have files that are DRMed this should not be a concern. Any music you download from iTunes or Zune is now DRM-free. The other major online sources I know of (like Amazon) are also DRM-free. This should be a non-issue now.

I think Audible is still DRM, as well as a lot of library loan files (since they have to have an expiration)

Benefits of Rockbox?

Reply #9
I have Rockbox on a Sansa Clip+.  I like a lot of the features, but there is really only one feature that I can't live without - the EQ.  The Rockbox EQ and sound processing functions are the best (IMHO) out there in a PMP.  It's made it much easier for me to buy a technically competent pair of headphones and just EQ in what ever I'm missing.

As an example, I have the Audeo PFE IEM.  The mids and treble are fantastic but I found the bass to be lacking.  I was able to EQ the bass so it's just where I want it.  Since the PFE reproduces the audible range well (many IEMs do not) I can use the EQ to get almost any sound I want.  That's far cheaper then buying multiple IEMs.

Benefits of Rockbox?

Reply #10
I use Rockbox on my Clip+ and there are loads of great features, but the best one for me is the extended battery life.

Benefits of Rockbox?

Reply #11
Could you be more specific. I have found little data on rockbox.org that address this specifically.

Benefits of Rockbox?

Reply #12
Could you be more specific. I have found little data on rockbox.org that address this specifically.

What is "this" referring to?
Creature of habit.

Benefits of Rockbox?

Reply #13
soap

Post #11

Information regarding extended battery life. The chart / matrix I saw did not show sufficient information to draw a conclusion.
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaRuntime

terry

Benefits of Rockbox?

Reply #14
Well Sandisk says 15 hours for a brand new player, and those test results of probably not brand new batteries show hours longer then that, so . . .

Benefits of Rockbox?

Reply #15
Thank you all. I find the http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/WhyRockbox link very enlightening. As you guys suggest, I'll install Rockbox, but I'll the the player a week or two with the original firmware just to verify there is nothing wrong with it (so I can return it without any custom firmwares on it).

Thaks again