Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: TAudioConverter (Read 314542 times) previous topic - next topic

TAudioConverter

TAudioConverter is a audio converter and extractor. It can convert almost any audio format to aac, ac3, mp3, flac, wav, ogg, opus, mpc, tta or tak. SoX is used to apply effects such as normalization, volume change etc. It can also extract audio streams from video files and encode them. Video files with more than one audio stream is supported.

It is possible to run up to 8 simultaneous processes to shorten encoding time.
If you want an encoder to be added please let me know.

TAudioConverter uses:
-FFMpeg to extract and decode audio streams.
-FAAC
-QAAC
-Lame
-OggEnc
-FLAC
-FHGAACEnc
-Opus
-MPCEnc
-MAC
-TTAEnc
-TAKc

Screenshot

You can download it from homepage.
Both portable and setup versions are available.

Beta release downloads are available here:
Beta Release Downloads

Also you can see source code from here.

Suggestions and bug reports are more than welcome.

TAudioConverter

Reply #1
Aren't you going to get into trouble with the patent holders of some of those codecs?

TAudioConverter

Reply #2
Aren't you going to get into trouble with the patent holders of some of those codecs?

Not if this is just the front end and the user has to supply any proprietary codec.

TAudioConverter

Reply #3
"It can also extract audio streams from video files and encode them."
Is the extract done losslessly and what parameters(or what do you do exactly?) are used?

TAudioConverter

Reply #4
Yes, extraction of audio using ffmpeg.exe does not involve transcoding.

In addition to that binary, there are many binaries in the archive. Legal issues aside, I have to wonder what to expect from opusenc.exe with the file date 2012-09-04 :shrug:
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

TAudioConverter

Reply #5

Which of the encoders can cause problem?

"It can also extract audio streams from video files and encode them."
Is the extract done losslessly and what parameters(or what do you do exactly?) are used?

Yes it is done loselessly. TAudioConverter tries to determine output audio file's extension according to audio stream's codec. Please send feedback if that fails. I tried to cover as much codec as possible but there are always exceptions.

Yes, extraction of audio using ffmpeg.exe does not involve transcoding.

In addition to that binary, there are many binaries in the archive. Legal issues aside, I have to wonder what to expect from opusenc.exe with the file date 2012-09-04 :shrug:

Yes i know, in the next release it will be updated to opusenc from rarewares.org, I assume it is up to date?.

TAudioConverter

Reply #6

Which of the encoders can cause problem?

Mp3 for one. Inclusion of binaries that either encode or decode mp3 without proper licensing will quickly get you a threatening email from the patent holder (at least this is my understanding).

TAudioConverter

Reply #7
LameXP provides lame.exe AFAIK. I was wondering if FHG could cause any problems.

TAudioConverter

Reply #8
Yes it is done loselessly. TAudioConverter tries to determine output audio file's extension according to audio stream's codec. Please send feedback if that fails. I tried to cover as much codec as possible but there are always exceptions.

Ah thanks, I've been using MP4Box and a batch-script which is a bit tedious and only works on MP4s (I've tried several GUIs and they didn't really work).

Btw about the codecs, I think your better not including them and instead when the user tries encoding (say MP3) for the first time they are given a choice to download the codec and directed to where you can obtain the binaries from a trustworthy source. Or they can download a "codec pack"... I'm not trying to tell you how to write your program, just I like to be on the safe side if I were dealing with MPEG.

TAudioConverter

Reply #9
Btw about the codecs, I think your better not including them and instead when the user tries encoding (say MP3) for the first time they are given a choice to download the codec and directed to where you can obtain the binaries from a trustworthy source. Or they can download a "codec pack"... I'm not trying to tell you how to write your program, just I like to be on the safe side if I were dealing with MPEG.

I really doubt including binaries of encoders will cause any problems. Also, -AFAIK- I'm not breaking any local laws.

TAudioConverter

Reply #10
Does this compile on linux? Doesn't look like it at first glance.

There is really a need for a GUI converter frontend for linux, that ties in to command line encoders.

TAudioConverter

Reply #11
Does this compile on linux? Doesn't look like it at first glance.

There is really a need for a GUI converter frontend for linux, that ties in to command line encoders.

No native support for linux, it is written in Delphi. I did not try it under Wine but might work.

TAudioConverter

Reply #12
No native support for linux, it is written in Delphi. I did not try it under Wine but might work.

Port it to Lazarus Free Pascal, and then you can create a Linux binary.

TAudioConverter

Reply #13
Port it to Lazarus Free Pascal, and then you can create a Linux binary.

Afraid can't do. TAC uses JVCL and there isn't a Lazarus port of it.

TAudioConverter

Reply #14
Update:
-Added: Support for .wma files
-Added: Option to specify bit depth (thx to jkauff and soneca)
-Improved: Deleting files from file list is now faster
-Improved: Process count warning is now added to log (thx to jkauff)
-Fixed: Changing sampling rate caused problems
-Fixed: Memory bar now shows memory used (thx to soneca)
-Fixed: Some UI problems occuring after encoding is done
-Fixed: Tags with '"' in them caused problems
-Updated: QAAC to 2.07
-Updated: OpusEnc to build using libopus 1.0.1

TAudioConverter

Reply #15
I really doubt including binaries of encoders will cause any problems. Also, -AFAIK- I'm not breaking any local laws.

Tell that to spoon, back when dBpoweramp was free.

TAudioConverter

Reply #16
Why did you update with older versions? qaac 2.07 -> 2.08, opusenc 1.0.1 -> 1.0.2

Also, are you using the flac.exe with 2GB+ support?

Ogg Vorbis with libvorbis or aoTuV?

TAudioConverter

Reply #17
Ogg Vorbis is with aoTuV.

Yes flac.exe that comes with TAC is 1.2.1 and according to flac change log there is >2gb support since 1.1.3, tho i didn't have a chance to test it myself.

I missed these updates. You can manually replace them.

TAudioConverter

Reply #18
Try the following:
Code: [Select]
flac --input-size=9876543210

If something like the following is shown instead of normal usage, it's not compiled with large file support (although this alone doesn't assure that large file support really works).
Code: [Select]
Type "flac" for a usage summary or "flac --help" for all options
ERROR: --input-size too large; this build of flac does not support filesizes over 2GB

TAudioConverter

Reply #19
I managed to encode a 2.48GB wav file to FLAC without any problems.

TAudioConverter

Reply #20
I managed to encode a 2.48GB wav file to FLAC without any problems.

I think the output size of the FLAC can't be over 2GB. A 2.4GB wav would end up somewhere around 1.6GB in Flac.

TAudioConverter

Reply #21
hi
wow , i 'm going to try it now
is portable?
cheers

TAudioConverter

Reply #23
Logged in after many months of lurking around....

There's some weird bug with this software.  If I try to set an output folder to save to, it crashes, says it cannot find the output file after encoding to Quicktime AAC.  However, if I check the box that says "Same as Source" and the file is saved in the same location as the input file, there's no problems at all.  Otherwise, it works pretty good!  One minor thing I do notice...I told the program to take the tags from the input files, and it seems to drop the date tag from my FLAC files so all my AAC files have no date field on them.

Legally, I don't see how this program is any different than setting up foobar to do a conversion, minus having to work with all the command lines yourself.  That makes it much simpler for those who cannot get command lines to work.
foobar2000, FLAC, and qAAC -V90
It just works people!

TAudioConverter

Reply #24
Thanks to ozok for a very nice program. I'm a dbPoweramp owner and user, but I love having a GUI front end to the various flavors of AAC through QACC, not to mention SoX. I got an iPhone 5 a few months ago (my first Apple product) and I'm having fun playing around with creating 24/48 FLAC files, Opus files, and different types of AAC files. This tool keeps the fun in it (I'm somewhat command-line averse, and I'm not an iTunes fan).

I've been communicating with ozok over on Doom9, and he's fixed every bug report within 24 hrs. Great response.