Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Probleme ext.Microphone no function (Read 8276 times) previous topic - next topic

Probleme ext.Microphone no function

Hi

I don’t know anymore where to check settings – could it be a hardware fault?
Since a view weeks the mic gives no signals in different Software.

The Jack (TRRS connector) is multifunctional: Means If I connect headphone, mic, or headset a Realtek windows pops up to ask “mic, speaker or headphone”.
For headset I had to set to headphone (for those who do not yet know)
Because I could use a iPhne headset I think the contacts are “L-R-GRND-AUX” (not: “L-R-AUX-GRND”)

Is it possible I killed the mic by connecting a iPod headphone by pushing a button?
I tried to move and clean the contacts GRND and AUX.
Is there an other possibility to check the mic? There is no onboard mic.
Checked: 
- headset      : oK  : Conected to a iPhone – recording was possible
- another Mic : nOK: tried to record with Windows Soundrecorder : still problem
- USB Mic      : OK :  tried to record with Windows Soundrecorder : no problem
- Driver          : last Audio-Driver whitch viliv suggest (Driveragent.com says old one)
- Settings      : XP: Sound&Audio Devices Props and Realtek

I heard about same problems on iPhones.

Thank you for every post!
Reselty

Tablet,  Viliv S5 , Windows XP
Intel Poulsbo/Tunnel Creek - High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Controller Hardware ID:   PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_811B&SUBSYS_81198086&REV_07
High Definition Audio Codec:   RealTek ALC262
Audio Codec Hardware ID:   HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0262&SUBSYS_00000000

Realtek HD Audio output
Realtek HD Audio intput

Reply #1
An idée is to check it with a bootable pmagic or Knoppix.
But how I figured out their music player (LXMusic/MPlayer) do not allow to record sound.
Is there a soft? When yes, possible to load it after LXDE runs. Like a portable program under WinXP?

Perhaps also someone knows boot in the save mode (WinXP) will set microphone settings on default or switch on my micro?
Or other solutions to check functionality of a microphone-Input?

More explanation and what I tried allreaydy on : this post

Thanks for helping
Reselty

Reply #2
Tried to check it with Knoppix ( LXDE-Linux by CD-Boot) to decide hardware/soft - problem:
Check:Knoppix-Forum
...but still no solution - no one any inputs????

Reply #4
Sorry - but I still dont know if it is an Hardware or Software Problem.
There was no reaction on the thread and I thought it is the wrong one..

So I know now - no duplicates!
I hope you deleted only one thread with its two posts...
Cause I still look for help!
Do you know a better forum for a question like this?
I made so good experiens here with other questions.

Reply #5
Yes, I merged posts #2 and 3 from your second thread into your first one (post #1) and only binned the duplicate of post #3. I would’t delete anything important!

Hopefully some of the local hardware experts can pop in soon and help you out. They’re usually good like that!

Reply #6
The Jack (TRRS connector) is multifunctional:
Are you sure your computer has a TRRS jack?  Most computers have TRS jacks.    If your documentation says so, OK I believe it, but I've never heard of that on a soundcard.  I beleive you can get a break-out adapter cable to separate the mic & headphone connections.

Because I could use a iPhone headset I think the contacts are “L-R-GRND-AUX” (not: “L-R-AUX-GRND”)
  The sleeve should always be ground.  I assume the tip is the "optional" mic connection, since you can connect a regular shorter TRS headphone plug into your iPhone.

Is it possible I killed the mic by connecting a iPod headphone by pushing a button?
Unlikely.  I guess anything is possible...

Is there an other possibility to check the mic? There is no onboard mic.
You can check the mic without recording.  Double-click the speaker icon to bring-up the mixer.  Then enamle the mic and bring-up the volume.  You should then hear the mic-sound through the computer speakers.  (You may have to click on Options -> Properties if the mic controls don't show-up.

Try plugging-in a line-level (or headphone-level) source, but tell the configuration program that you've plugged-in a mic.    You'll likely overload the input and get distortion, but if it's working, you'll record something.

- headset : oK : Conected to a iPhone – recording was possible
Recording to the iPhone, or from the iPhone?

- another Mic : nOK: tried to record with Windows Soundrecorder : still problem
That seems to indicate a problem with the hardware or driver?  Was that a "computer mic"? 

- USB Mic : OK : tried to record with Windows Soundrecorder : no problem
Totally different hardware & driver.

Reply #7

Thank you lot for all your inputs - DVDoug !
Are you sure your computer has a TRRS jack?

YES - perhaps not the normed one (GRND-AUX / AUX-GRND), but the iPhone headphone worked before a became problems.
The sleeve should always be ground.

No - This bastards can't stay on one norm..!
Please see Wikipedia, but I think the German one explains it better...
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klinkenstecker
@ : "Stereo-Stecker mit Zusatzfunktion (4-polig)"
check the mic without recording

Will try this evening, but I think it will not solve the problem.
Recording to the iPhone, or from the iPhone?

I just asked @ a shop somebody if he could connect me headset to his iPhone to find out if my headset is ok.
I speak - iPhone records
Sorry about my unclear inputs (to different things):
another Mic : nOK

not yet tested , but I tested my headset on da iPhone...
tried to record with Windows Soundrecorder

still problem
Was that a "computer mic"?

No the headset - there is no onboard mic.

Reply #8
Yes, I merged posts #2 and 3 from your second thread into your first one (post #1) and only binned the duplicate of post #3. I would’t delete anything important!
Hopefully some of the local hardware experts can pop in soon and help you out. They’re usually good like that!

Thanks for explainig und sorry for making you that much work!

Reply #9
You can check the mic without recording. Double-click the speaker icon to bring-up the mixer. Then enamle the mic and bring-up the volume. You should then hear the mic-sound through the computer speakers. (You may have to click on Options -> Properties if the mic controls don't show-up.

I tried it how you explained. I can`t  listen something from mic, BUT it changes the output - there is a hum!!!
When I touch the connector or move it, the hum changes...I have to find another headset to check again...

If I touch the connector hum becomes louder, if I touch the now connected USB-Stick hum stops..

Try plugging-in a line-level (or headphone-level) source, but tell the configuration program that you've plugged-in a mic. You'll likely overload the input and get distortion, but if it's working, you'll record something.

don`t know yet how to manage it - with my 4pin jack!
There are lying around a lot of 3pin jacks but... í'll find a way!

Thanks again!

Reply #10
Checked it :
-with other iPhone-headset                              >> no function
-tried my headset again on the iPhone              >> no problem
-boot with pmagic 5.9 and AudacityPortable      >> no function