Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 64 kpbs mp3 encoding (Read 5450 times) previous topic - next topic

64 kpbs mp3 encoding

can anyone tell me which is the best encoder to use with the most options for encoding all the way down to 64 kpbs?  i deliver through a flash player which means other codecs are not an option.  i'd prefer to use an encoder that has a few options like being able to do stereo at 44.1 64 kpbs(some of them take it down to 22khz if you want stereo).  also if you can find a way for me to get a better sounding mp3 in the same filesize as this zone i'm talking about - i'm all ears 100% !

Thanks!

64 kpbs mp3 encoding

Reply #1
At 64kbps, the last thing you want to do is use 44KHz stereo with MP3 (for music content anyway). Use mono or use 22Khz.

64 kpbs mp3 encoding

Reply #2
Additionally, you wouldn't want to use stereo.  You would want to use joint stereo.  As Firon said, you don't want to use 44.1Khz as the Lame mp3 encoder would produce terrible quality files using full stereo, 44.1KHz, at a bitrate of 64kbps.  Instead, if you want to use a bitrate of 64kbps, you should encode the mp3 as 22KHz using joint stereo or mono (ie, let the Lame mp3 encoder do its job, don't change the sample rates or stereo settings).

64 kpbs mp3 encoding

Reply #3
For 64kbps @ 22KHz, the Fhg mp3 encoder found e.g. in WMP11 or Adobe Audition is probably better than lame, as it is using intensity stereo which is superior to joint stereo at this low bitrate. Lame is superiour to other mp3 encoders for bitrates above ~120 kbps, and most optimized for 44Khz.

64 kpbs mp3 encoding

Reply #4
thanks for the helpful replies!  you folks seem to know your stuff 
I guess I should be using ABR right?
while i'm at it do you think there's any way to make a mp3 at 64 kpbs loop fairly cleanly?  gaps are the bain of my existance!

64 kpbs mp3 encoding

Reply #5
You can try using ABR, should be slightly better than CBR.

Also, I think gaps would only be dealt with properly if the decoder supports gapless LAME tags (or at least a gap detector/remover hack)

64 kpbs mp3 encoding

Reply #6
Most flash mp3 players play wma, check if it does.

wma 64kbps would be a better option, although its still not great.

64 kpbs mp3 encoding

Reply #7
Most flash mp3 players play wma, check if it does.

wma 64kbps would be a better option, although its still not great.

are we talking about the same flash?  i'm talking about macromedia/adobe flash embedded into websites...  i've never heard of this player playing wma hmmm...

64 kpbs mp3 encoding

Reply #8
Yikes!    I'm pretty sure he thought you meant flash memory, as in a portable flash memory digital audio player.  I know I did!  Either way the mp3 encoding suggestions of the previous posts are still valid.

64 kpbs mp3 encoding

Reply #9
Yikes!    I'm pretty sure he thought you meant flash memory, as in a portable flash memory digital audio player.  I know I did!  Either way the mp3 encoding suggestions of the previous posts are still valid.

Right as I read around the forum a little I realize that there is a strong emphasis on portable players here.   

For 64kbps @ 22KHz, the Fhg mp3 encoder found e.g. in WMP11 or Adobe Audition is probably better than lame, as it is using intensity stereo which is superior to joint stereo at this low bitrate. Lame is superiour to other mp3 encoders for bitrates above ~120 kbps, and most optimized for 44Khz.

Are you talking about Mp3PRO?  Cause I spoke to my friend and he said that in Audition the Mp3PRO Fhg codec is locked at 44.1 when encoding down to 64 kpbs

64 kpbs mp3 encoding

Reply #10
He's not talking about mp3pro, just a different mp3 encoder.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=MP3Pro

If you can encode to it and your web-flash player can fully support it (that is, both the mp3 and SBR), quality-wise mp3pro would be a noticeable step up from mp3 @ 64 kbps.  Unfortunately these are 2 pretty big ifs due to it's proprietary/closed nature.

mp3pro is a format that never really caught on and IMO has one foot in the grave...

64 kpbs mp3 encoding

Reply #11

lol there wasn't anything in your post that said otherwise, so I assumed!  lol sorry

64 kpbs mp3 encoding

Reply #12

lol there wasn't anything in your post that said otherwise, so I assumed!  lol sorry

yes i know my bad