Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Vorbis RC3 Pre 5 (Read 6053 times) previous topic - next topic

Vorbis RC3 Pre 5

Major changes to the libraries and a fundamental change to the way the selected bitrate is communicated internally mean that the Pre 5 posted (later today) at:

http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~rja00/

is OGGENC.EXE only.

OGGENC.EXE works fine, but oggdrop and vorbis.dll give interesting results varying from a selected bitrate of 64kbps yielding 230kbps! to a selected bitrate of 350kbps yielding 630kbps! If I figure where the changes are I'll post these others later.

BTW, the program headers are now actually saying "RC3"

john33

Vorbis RC3 Pre 5

Reply #1
It's uploaded.

The file is in the same zip (dailyvorbis.zip) as the Pre4
OggDrop and vorbis.dll

I decided not to create a special link just for this
release. (Since john33 can send me anytime the
other files)

Regards;

Roberto.

Vorbis RC3 Pre 5

Reply #2
sorry but I can't reach your page, are there any problems ?

Vorbis RC3 Pre 5

Reply #3
Strange... I just entered there, and everything loaded OK.

What happens? 404? Or the server
doesn't answers?

Thanks for the info.

Regards;

Roberto.

Vorbis RC3 Pre 5

Reply #4
page not found...

could you mail me the new oggenc.exe please.
BenjaminLebsanft at web dot de

thanks

Vorbis RC3 Pre 5

Reply #5
Rjamorim,

I can't reach yor page either: "Cannot find server or DNS Error". Something must be wrong.

Vorbis RC3 Pre 5

Reply #6
I am truly amazed - it keeps working
perfectly well for me.

Anyway, I hope it doesn't happens again...

Regards;

Roberto.

Vorbis RC3 Pre 5

Reply #7
I tried tracerouting your server and every packed send there gets lost on the way.

Vorbis RC3 Pre 5

Reply #8
I've already contacted the sysadmin.

Now, I'm waiting for her answer.

Vorbis RC3 Pre 5

Reply #9
thx for the file

Vorbis RC3 Pre 5

Reply #10
Ok, I've already got her answer. One of the servers os down, so, half of the
people who try to access it are getting
DNS errors.

She promised to fix it as soon as possible.

Regards;

Roberto.

Vorbis RC3 Pre 5

Reply #11
It's back up again. 

john33

Vorbis RC3 Pre 5

Reply #12
yep

but this bitrate bug is kinda annyoing

Vorbis RC3 Pre 5

Reply #13
Yeah, sorry about this but I can't seem to find where this occuring at the moment. The odd thing is that the frontend to oggenc is unchanged from yesterday when oggdrop and vorbis.dll all compiled and ran fine. However, the backend did change, obviously in a way that didn't affect oggenc, but did affect the other two. I just see can't where it is. If I still had a copy of yesterday's programs, I could make a comparison but they were overwritten in the CVS update! I haven't given up, but I'm kind of shooting in the dark!!

john33

Vorbis RC3 Pre 5

Reply #14
Originally posted by john33
Yeah, sorry about this but I can't seem to find where this occuring at the moment. The odd thing is that the frontend to oggenc is unchanged from yesterday when oggdrop and vorbis.dll all compiled and ran fine. However, the backend did change, obviously in a way that didn't affect oggenc, but did affect the other two. I just see can't where it is. If I still had a copy of yesterday's programs, I could make a comparison but they were overwritten in the CVS update! I haven't given up, but I'm kind of shooting in the dark!!

john33

As far as I know, current oggdrop source code seems to be  obsolete when compared to oggenc especially in encode.c (ie. oggdrop one doesn't use vorbis_bitrate_addblock() in oe_encode function. ... but I don't know how this function works  )

And the main difference between 20011218 and 20011219 is that ABR mode is fully supported normal/minimum/maximum bitrate setting by bitrate management on VBR.
ABR encode on 20011218 is only passed through to VBR encode function, transforming normal bitrate to VBR base quality.
I compiled oggdrop today and checked that vorbis_encode_init(&vi, opt->channels, opt->rate, -1, opt->bitrate*1000, -1); resulted in extraordinary high bitrate, while vorbis_encode_init(&vi, opt->channels, opt->rate, 192000, 128000, 96000); resulted in about  normal bitrate.
But ABR mode on 20011219 seems to be unstable at the point  encoding result get too low even when I encode the same song continuously with proper and same minimum/maximum/normal bitrate setting (not -1). This affects oggdrop but not oggenc.
I'm looking forward to updating tomorrow.

Thanks,

Vorbis RC3 Pre 5

Reply #15
certainly it does affect oggenc.exe! I just tested -b 170 and ended up with a 436kbps file

Vorbis RC3 Pre 5

Reply #16
nyaochi,

Thanks for that. The encode.c has been different, as has the .h, since I have been looking at this, which is not very long! Yes, I too hope tomorrow brings a little 'sunlight'!!

john33