Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to get rid of playlist-based file library? How to sort by artist b (Read 3084 times) previous topic - next topic

How to get rid of playlist-based file library? How to sort by artist b

I've followed this most excellent tutorial and ended up with a very similar Foobar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5um6NEMZGZo

Unfortunately I've played around with the software quite a bit, including things like columns UI and the 'raw' foobar, but I'm still missing two critical bits of info to make this the perfect audio player for me:
1) So far I can only seem to view files as a playlist. Why is that? Personally I like to go through my entire 13k+ library and have it all on shuffle. At all times. I don't need nor use playlists, I just want a single viewer with my full library...
2) In said viewer, if I start typing, it should re-direct me to the artist fitting my keying. Currently using either the default playlist viewer or SimPlaylist (what I have now), it will seek the song matching most

Any tips on how to make this dream happen?  FYI this is modelled after MediaMonkey, my current lossy music player, and I am using foobar2000 on lossless to test it out. I'd like to switch over completely if it suits my needs.

BONUS! I have a lossy library, and am re-ripping all my CDs to lossless. I'll still be missing quite a few thousand songs though, and so would love to have a merged library, where duplicates are resolved by codec (FLAC wins over MP3). Is that something Foobar can do?

Thanks all!

Reply #2
Thanks! That worked to solve issue one 

I still don't get the whole playlist thing though. It's a real pain. Is there no third-party or default component that simply shows a list of files, with the option of grouping them? Or does it have to be an automatically updating playlist?

Reply #3
Try the library view of foo_uie_esplaylist.

Reply #4
Thanks, but I couldn't find this in the Foobar page or online. From the info on a thread here it looks quite outdated too

Another issue: I like to have a file-by-file library view, and a similar but summarized view of of the 'now-playing' list.
Since I randomize the next song (vs. shuffling selection), if I like an album I can simply unpress Random, or select the next song manually without having to find the album again in my full library.

That's also why I like to have a full-library showing all files at all times: if I type in it, it should return the artist that matches my keystrokes vs. the song currently.

Reply #5
Hm, I have a playlist with all my files, because a library can't be manually ordered. What is the reason that doesn't work for you?

I imagine it's the shuffle play you use, and I never do that.

a list of files, with the option of grouping them

That sounds like a playlist.

if I type in it, it should return the artist that matches my keystrokes

That's how playlists currently work, but it's not perfect.

Reply #6
@pott

to answer to your initial post:

1) just create an autoplaylist that will populate the entire library (and force sort it if you want). To do that, go to "Library" menu, "Search", then in query field, enter "ALL" to get them all , then click "..." button to set query result as an autoplaylist :

from playlist manager (menu "View > Playlist Manager"), you can rename this autoplaylist and edit the query and add a forced sort order to always having it well sorted, even if you add tracks to the watched folders.

2) to jump to the artist depending on whar you stroke on the keyboard, they are two playlist viewer at least that have this feature (called "incremental search") : ELPlaylist (designed only for ColumnsUI, not DefaultUI), and JSPlaylist which is a JScript to use with the component WSH PAnel Mod (a JScript handler)

HTH

Reply #7
Thanks  Done option 1), and the playlist is auto-updating and is sorted correctly most of the time (I still need to manually sort it once in a while I think).
I use the default UI right now, but I think columnsUI could give me a similar layout (screenshots once I get home). I've saved my current theme so can always roll-back. I'll give it a try.

I think the only thing left for me would be a 'now playing' list. For example if I hit an album I'm in the mood for, but just one extra song, I tend to wait until the current song finishes then select the next one from the 'now playing' pane which is always centered on the current track. It's sorted in the same way as my library/playlist.

Reply #8
Can't seem to edit previous post?

Anyway, merci for the WHS tip. I've installed JSPlaylist and it looks nifty. Still need to play around with it. Some open-questions if you do happen to stumble upon this thread again:
1) The 'type to reach artist' feature worked once... and since then it still works in the legacy way, and points me out to the album :s
2) The group function doesn't group by artist...

Screenshot:

Whereas I like the grouping to be more like:

I'll take a look through the JSPanel code and see where this comes from.

Reply #9
Your 2nd screenshot (simplaylist) has a sub-grouping feature which makes things much more complex. To add that feature to any existing playlist which only supports grouping at one level will take a significant amount of work.

Reply #10
Gotcha. Thanks! I'll play around with JSplaylist.

Re: How to get rid of playlist-based file library? How to sort by artist b

Reply #11
if I hit an album I'm in the mood for, but just one extra song
Maybe right click on your extra song and choose Add to Playback Queue.