Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why have you changed your music player to foobar? (Read 13722 times) previous topic - next topic

Why have you changed your music player to foobar?

Reply #25
Being an audiophile, I've tried using many different audio apps. When I ran Win XP, I was using PurePlayer - a very limited player that did have some magic to it (it pre-decoded music in RAM, bypassed a few things and sounded better than Foobar). But when I went to Windows 7, and simultaneously upgraded my DAC - PurePlayer wouldn't work with WASAPI which is the bypass direct to external DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter)

Foobar is:
1. FAST and very light load on RAM / CPU / HDD compared to competition
2. FREE
3. Has heaps of support from DAC manufacturers
4. Allows WASAPI and ASIO direct communication
5. Has great Spectrum (Except - Why o Why does it cut off at 50Hz at bottom end??)
6. Gapless
7. Customisable

Reply #27
I was using WMP at home and as my music library grew, it just got slower and slower to add new files. I had tried Sonique and JetAudio (free version) at work before, but didn't stick with either for very long, as their library management wasn't right for me. I tried WinAmp 1 back in the very early days but couldn't get it to work for some reason.

I saw a mention of Foobar when I was browsing for information about using the PC as a media source and gave it a try. The description made it sound like exactly what I was looking for, so I was sceptical. Upon installation, I was an instant convert!

Reply #28
I was a PP fanboy since the Winamp days, so it was hardly surprising when I GOT HYPE about his player project. I left Winamp the day the Masstagger component was released. If there was any risk of me leaving, it was mitigated by kode54's brilliant emulator/module input components.

Reply #29
PP?

...PurePlayer ok.

Reply #32
I was using Winamp for Gracenote tag correction. It no longer works and as such, I'm leaving the bloated Winamp. It was the only thing holding me back all these years.

Reply #33
I used MediaMonkey and MusicBee previously and both of those had some very annoying issues:

• MM gets really slow when you manage big library (>30k tracks)
• I was not able to make MM work with ASIO properly
• MusicBee has some glitches when it comes to playback, had few issues with WASAPI and ASIO (stutters and crashes)
• at some point WASAPI output just stopped working in MB at all (giving me some sort of critical error I couldn't find solution for)
• neither of the players had the flexibility I wanted in adjusting user interface
• MB uses .net framework

On a bright side:
• MM is probably the best tool to fix tags in big library;
• MB has amazing LastFM plugin;
• Both players support multiple library nodes (i.e. multiple libraries) - this is the feature I miss the most.

Reply #34
I use foobar because it looks like windows program. Without all those skeuomorphism. I have never could understand why if software is for playing music  then it must look like chinese stereo cassette recorder, have small unreadable fonts, buttons which hard to find and all those blinking stuff. Foobar is the only music player which offer such capability.

Here is what I am talking about:

Reply #35
The primary reason I started using it was for its media library functions.