Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Custom "File Name Pattern" in File Operations (Read 3450 times) previous topic - next topic

Custom "File Name Pattern" in File Operations

Is there anyway to define custom file naming patterns in the file operations functions (move, copy, rename)?  I am working on cleaning up my directories where my music is stored and I would like to create folders based on a custom tag I have setup in all of my files.  With the old masstagger component this was possible, but I can't seem to find a way to do it in the new versions. 

Thanks for the help!

Reply #1
Uhm... just enter it into the file name pattern field?

Note that you have to use "move" instead of "rename" if you want to create folders.

Reply #2
I understand that I can enter custom naming schemes in that box, but is there a way to save a list of custom syntax strings in the new 9.5 File Operations Rename/Move dialog? It seems like a huge advantage to the previous Masstagger Rename/Move dialog where I could quickly load my various custom schemes.

There seems to be the same issue with the Automatically Fill Values dialog of 9.5, so I'm confused. Is this a functionality that is planned for future versions, or is it considered some kind of "advanced" feature for which users should rely on plugins instead of cluttering the default interface?

[edit: I was very confused about how to use "Presets" and asked a dumb question. I figured it out. Sorry.]

Reply #3
(...) is there a way to save a list of custom syntax strings in the new 9.5 File Operations Rename/Move dialog?

Under Presets, enter a name and click Save. At a later date, you can select your preset and click Load.

Reply #4
I've been having some problems using s custom patern aswell, perhaps you can help me.

I want to use the following name scheme:

[%tracknumber%. ]%artist% - %title%

which works fine, but i don't like how foobar replaces some of the characteres  available in tags that aren't allowed in filenames, so i tried to use:

$replace([%tracknumber%. ]%artist% - %title%,'/','-')

for example, to get a "-" instead of a "_" when renaming...but I can't get it to work.
I thought it could be something wrong in the formatting i was using, but i used it in tagging and it works.

Any thoughts?

Reply #5
Please read the FAQ about renaming files.