Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Knowing if a CD/wav comes from Ogg ? (Read 9148 times) previous topic - next topic

Knowing if a CD/wav comes from Ogg ?

Hello,

I some special tape in the past, like 10 years ago. I encoded it in Ogg Vorbis, accidentally deleted the .wav files.

Now I have juste found back a CD with the same content.
But I don't remember at all if the CD has been burnt from the original wav files or from the already encoded Ogg files.

I there a way I can be sure about that ?

Thank you for your help.

Reply #1
No.  You're out of luck without the original to compare it to.

Reply #2
There are a couple of programs that try to analyze a file to determine if it's ever been lossy-encoded.    I've never tried any of them...  One is the Tau CD Authenticity Analyzer.

If the CD sounds obviously different, it's probably from an original (or from a different lossy copy  ).    If it doesn't sound obviously different, you can't be sure.

If the OGG file sounds OK, maybe it doesn't matter...  Often, we can live with "good enough".

If it's absolutely critical for you to have a non-lossy copy, I guess you'll have to buy the CD.

Reply #3
is more easy if the ogg file are in a low bitrate due to the differences are more evident  with the original

if you analize in adobe audition for example in frecuency spectrum  view and look for de lowpass limit, for q4 (128kbps) is 18000hz

Reply #4
Not necessarily, saratoga? How precisely defined is Ogg Vorbis decoding? I hear it is very carefully defined for MP3 - compliant decoders giving the same output, within rounding tolerances...

...if that's also the case for Vorbis, and if you, Xrcr9709, also still have those Ogg Vorbis files (sounds like you do; otherwise, there would be even no point in asking, since the found CD would be your only copy anyway) - wouldn't comparing the output of Vorbis files and CD possibly do the trick?
If the spectrum (or such) are identical - or very nearly identical, to account for rounding - then the CD came from the PCM output of those Vorbis files. If clearly not identical, then... well, we still can't know, on that information alone, that the CD came from WAV  - but if Xrcr9709 roughly remembers what he was doing with those files (for example, that there was only one lossy encoding done), this info could be enough of a circumstantial evidence, I guess?

edit: but anyway, if you can't hear the difference... (this place calls for ABX testing after all  )

Reply #5
I've just tried to ABX it but it seems that the ABX component I've user for Foobar2000 work terribly bad ... looks like it's always resetting the count ... Or there's something I missed ...
And anyway, it sound difficult to ABX.

Actually, there is no CD or any commercial way to buy this recording, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

The Ogg files are at very low bitrate, but the original was a tape that was also at rather low quality.

if you analize in adobe audition for example in frecuency spectrum view and look for de lowpass limit, for q4 (128kbps) is 18000hz

There, I'm lost ... And I don't have Adobe Audition,  I only have Sony Sound Forge and Audacity.

Reply #6
Trying to undestang something to spectrum analysis, but at least, I would need lowpass limit for q3 (112kbps). That the quality I used in those days ... sounds pre-historic to me now ...

Reply #7
Using Sony Sound Forge:

Zooming at the graphs in the basic sound editor, they look very very similar.

Now, trying stuff with the spectrum analyser, keep the same settings and switching for one version of a track to the other, I see differences, but I have no idea what they mean of if they are meaninful.

Reply #8
Not necessarily, saratoga? How precisely defined is Ogg Vorbis decoding? I hear it is very carefully defined for MP3 - compliant decoders giving the same output, within rounding tolerances...

Oh I thought he didn't have the Vorbis files anymore.  If he has them, then yes, that will work.  Decode the vorbis to wav, then compare it to the PCM from the CD.  If its nearly identical, its lossy.

Reply #9
Using Sony Sound Forge:

Zooming at the graphs in the basic sound editor, they look very very similar.

Now, trying stuff with the spectrum analyser, keep the same settings and switching for one version of a track to the other, I see differences, but I have no idea what they mean of if they are meaninful.

in audacity i did the test with a tape recorded in 1973 (it's a child tale)

the menu in spanish is: Analizar --> Dibujar spectro

only the first 23.8 seconds are allowed  due to audacity limits

wav captured

and q3 ogg transcode

Reply #10
Ok, after analysing frequencies with Tau and Audacity. I think I can conclude that the CD was burnt out of Ogg Vorbis. Thank you all anyway.

Reply #11
But actually, since it comes from a tape, ... what are the highest frequencies possible on a tape ?

Reply #12
But actually, since it comes from a tape, ... what are the highest frequencies possible on a tape ?

i think that high frecuency is only noise

Reply #13
Probably, but if I'm trying to analyse if high frequencies are there ... I should first be sure that they actually should be there.
I mean it have lower "higher frequencies" than Ogg Vorbis, that test would be pointless.