Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ABX software (Read 8734 times) previous topic - next topic

ABX software

I am positive I am being dumb, I am just not sure how.  I wanted to do some ABX testing to determine which LAME setting was good enough for me.  However, all the ABX testing software I looked at such as WinABX and ABC/HR, and they all seem to only accept .wav files, not .mp3 for samples.  What software will allow me to simply compare mp3 or aac files?

ABX software

Reply #1
*lifts my hand as if about to lead a choir*

All together now...

Foobar2000 !

ABX software

Reply #2
Or you could just use dbpowerawp to quickly decode to wav. It has shell integration so it's just a simple right click away.

Personally though, I use (and recommend) Foobar.

ABX software

Reply #3

All together now...

Foobar2000 !

*choir sings*

Foobar2000!
Foobar2000 is the way
Plays our Oggs our MP3s
All gaplesslyyyyyy
Foobar2000!
Foobar2000 is the way
From Columns UI to just plain tagz
It never looks the same for a day
Foobar2000!
Foobar2000 is the way
Single column playlist, track info mod
$button and ...er.......$imageabs2
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

ABX software

Reply #4
Thanks for the responses.  I haven't ever used foobar but I guess now maybe the time to give it a try.

ABX software

Reply #6

All together now...

Foobar2000 !

Followup question: How?  I have foobar 9.4.2 and have had no luck trying to figure out how to to ABX testing with it.  A lot of sites say that you have to download a plugin to abx, but the link that I keep finding to the plugin (http//www.foobar2000.org/foo_abx.zip) gives a file not found error.  And there doesn't seem to be any info on the foobar site about it, or in foobar itself (I've gone through all of the preferences). 

Any help would be appreciated!

ABX software

Reply #7
check components dir if there is foo_abx.dll, if not here is a mirror:
http://somestuff.org/foo_abx.dll
md5
86951db6e650bcae7215365c161b2f5d *foo_abx.dll
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

ABX software

Reply #9
The ABX component is included in the installer, just not installed by default. Start the installer and either change to full install or choose custom and check optional components -> tools -> ABX Comparator.

ABX software

Reply #10
Thanks for the responses.  I haven't ever used foobar but I guess now maybe the time to give it a try.

If You Use winamp the newest version 5.32 have the formart converter just include the music in playlist, disable the EQ and replaygain if you have aplied to the track it right click-->send to-->format converter-->.wav output
Sorry for my bad english.

ABX software

Reply #11
If You Use winamp the newest version 5.32 have the formart converter just include the music in playlist, disable the EQ and replaygain if you have aplied to the track it right click-->send to-->format converter-->.wav output
That's not ABXing, which is what this thread is about.

ABX software

Reply #12
If You Use winamp the newest version 5.32 have the formart converter

Diskwriter plugin was there from the earliest v2.x I remember.

ABX software

Reply #13
Yes, but I assume he's talking about the new transcoder, which is not the same as the diskwriter.