Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bass Traps and Other Treatments: Why so frequently assumed necessary? (Read 87143 times) previous topic - next topic

Bass Traps and Other Treatments: Why so frequently assumed necessary?

Reply #25
I clearly stated it is my opinion, right?

Expressing something as an opinion does not absolve you from TOS #8.

Sure, you're right. I can't prove that. I can just say that I prefer not to listen to my music in a bathroom, that's all. It's just that I've never come across someone who does, but indeed, that is no proof.

Nice straw-man.

Reply #26
Since I already said something to the same effect earlier, I doubt the following will discourage similar posts like that which was made two posts back; but alas, I'll try it again...

NO ONE[/b] is saying treatment can't make audible differences. The point of interest is whether expressed preferences are ever backed by bias-controlled testing.

The topic is "Are [bass traps] Snake Oil"? My response: no, because they clearly do something significant.

The only test brought forth so far doesn't support what the lot of you are espousing.

In a later post you mention the need double-blind preference testing. My response: almost no one can do this (myself including) has the capability to do this with real acoustics in real time. But we can measure the effects of the treatment, and assess those effects and to some extent simulate them artificially in terms of frequency balance and reverberation

If the question is "does room treatment make music sound better" then, given that it can make a significant change, I don't see how the answer could be anything other than "sometimes". E.g.

• If the music recording itself is too dry for a given listener's preferences, then s/he would probably prefer the sound of a more live/less treated room.
  • If the music recording already has the ideal amount of reverb for a given listener's preferences, then s/he would probably prefer the sound of a more dead/more treated room.
  • If the music recording itself has a frequency balance that aligns perfectly with the listener's preferences, then s/he would probably prefer the sound of a room with a flat response.
  • If the music recording itself has a frequency balance where certain ranges are too low in level for the listener's preferences, then s/he would probably prefer the sound of a room that emphasises those frequencies.
  • To take things to extremes, if the room is currently hugely reverberant with a very uneven response (e.g. "bathroom" situation) or an anechoic chamber, then it's likely to align with few or no people's preferences.

If that's not the question at hand, and nor is the topic title, then what is?

Reply #27
Oh cool, another subjective listening test free post, confirming pillows make "a difference". Yay.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #28
I call the whole notion of room "treatments" being constantly parroted as a panacea, BS.

Panaceas are at their core generalizations, and all generalizations are false.  So what we have here might be meaningless truisms.

It is almost automatic on every audio (Home and Studio) forum now, for someone, often unsolicited, to tell others that room "treatment" products are mandatory for "better" sound.

"There is one in every crowd'

I find the evidence for the "better" sound to be lacking in vigor...and far more a sighted, expected, personal preference being expressed, despite whatever Toole, McGill et al have found. Bass "traps" being one form of "treatment", specific for LF of course.

Requiring DBTs to support every claim of an audible difference is not my mission. It isn't even possible in every case. DBTs were first applied when the question of audibility was controversial.

Do we really need DBTs to agree that 20 dB SPL level differences @ 1 KHz are audible?

Reply #29
Not wanting to derail another thread, I'll post my response here.

Played out in public on the AVS forum maybe a year ago.

Jeez Arnie, guess both our memories are going, since 1) I had no recollection of that 2) I've been banned there for longer than that, ironically, for blasting "authorities" who claim their fully sighted subjectivist impressions of "treatments" trumped any blind tests...while simultaneously pointing out that AVS was not impartial being a seller of such products, which like cables, have rather high mark ups. That didn't go over too well. 
I searched and assume you mean this "treatments" thread...which was more than 3 yrs ago.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #30
Do we really need DBTs to agree that 20 dB SPL level differences @ 1 KHz are audible?

I would suggest you look up Red Herring as Greynol has warned against multiple times.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #32
This is all theoretical for me because I mostly use headphones at the moment, but whatever.
OK - there is no question that room treatment can cause audible differences.

My question is, why should I trust a DBT preference test to tell me whether or not to make a change to my audio system (assuming the change in question is already established to make an audible difference)?
What's to stop the participants in the preference test from picking the version with +3dB bass, because it's sounds more "fun"?

Wouldn't it be better to make a recording from the listening position, with and without the room treatment, and use whichever has a flatter FR and/or less distortion?

Reply #33
Why should I trust a DBT preference test to tell me whether or not to buy a $500 bottle of wine over a $40 bottle of wine?

What's to stop the participants in the preference test from picking the less expensive bottle, because it's tastes more "fun"?

Wouldn't it be better to make a recording from the listening position, with and without the room treatment, and use whichever has a flatter FR and/or less distortion?

You're making an assumption that flatter and/or less distortion will sound better instead of establishing this with a properly controlled preference test.

Reply #34
My question is, why should I trust a DBT preference test to tell me whether or not to make a change to my audio system (assuming the change in question is already established to make an audible difference)?

No reason that I can think of.

What's to stop the participants in the preference test from picking the version with +3dB bass, because it's sounds more "fun"?

Reply #35

That is the essence of most procedures that are used to treat rooms by means of measurements.

One refinement is to create a non-flat target curve and  attempt to match that.

One might do some deeper thinking about the meaning of flat system response.  For electronic components. it is easy to know what that means. For complete systems including instruments, playing and recording, maybe not so much.

Reply #36
Based on DBTs, my former comment is not a red herring.

Then you're to dense to comprehend only your strawman claims there is no "difference".
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #38
One might do some deeper thinking about the meaning of flat system response.  For electronic components. it is easy to know what that means. For complete systems including instruments, playing and recording, maybe not so much.

In which case, I would suggest bias controlled testing would be important, but since the hoards aren't blessing the idea then it must be preposterous.

yet another reason why I no longer take you seriously ... jus' sayin'

Well, to give you some credit, you did also say this within the hour (to which others in this discussion should take note):
poorer technical performance can be preferred by some

...and how exactly do we arrive at a true* preference by some (/few/many/masses), again?

I'm not about to guess why such sensibility has been lost in this discussion.

(*) as in not skewed by a-priori bias.  Hopefully I don't have to dig up quotes by "authorities" saying even authorities are not immune to a-priori bias.

Reply #40

My question is, why should I trust a DBT preference test to tell me whether or not to make a change to my audio system (assuming the change in question is already established to make an audible difference)

yet another reason why I no longer take you seriously ... jus' sayin'

You should have never taken me seriously. :-)
Well, to give you some credit, you did also say this within the hour (to which others in this discussion should take note):
poorer technical performance can be preferred by some

I'm not about to guess why such sensibility has been lost in this discussion.

Because I didn't say it?

Reply #41
Now I know why AJ calls you Amir.

I did read somewhere that DSD is being used as an archival format by record labels. So, the "master" is in DSD format. and CD quality PCM is generated from that master. But that may just be because the equipment being used to master is Sony.

SACD is a solution looking for a problem, pure and simple/

I have often wondered, since SACDs contain a Red Book audio layer also, if that layer is purposely messed with to make the SACD layer sound better.

The layers are separate and independent. They don't even have to be the same musical work.

Remember, Better or worse in this context can relate to preference, not global fact.

The common preference for vinyl shows that poorer technical performance can be preferred by some.

Sigh.

Reply #42
Toole and Olive and the AES authors generally, employing standard scientific language, report results as tendencies among populations, not infallible predictions applying to every listener.  Neither claims that , e.g., listeners will *always* prefer EQ curve X or loudspeaker Y or room treatment Z.

So yes, individual mileage can vary.  No one says otherwise. 

Beyond that, yes, physical room treatments have virtually never been subjected to preference (or even difference) DBTs. But to the extent a treatment brings room measurements into the ranges and curve shapes that *have* been shown to correlate to population preferences, you can predict they'd *probably* be reported as beneficial on average, if the comparison could be blinded. 

Personally, I would take that sort of evidence-from-measurement as 'good enough' to guide my purchases, absent actual DBTs.  (I use that reasonign for loudspeaker buying.) But even that data doesn't seem to exist in any handy form...not for many loudspeakers, and certainly not for many room treatments.

It's a dilemma.

(And who among the audiophiles herd considers himself 'average'? )

Reply #43
Gosh ... too bad I have just caught a cold, so popcorn doesn't even taste good.

Reply #44
Gosh ... too bad I have just caught a cold, so popcorn doesn't even taste good.

You and me both. Perhaps some room treatments will help alleviate my stuffy ears

I said I was out of this discussion, but I think it has become abundantly clear that we're arguing about personal preference here. Some people prefer a more 'live' listening room, and some people (around a third, according to the AES paper AJ has linked a couple of time) prefer a 'deader' listening room with fewer early reflections.

As this is a question of preference, there obviously is no 'correct' answer, and as Toole's paper shows, it is possibly to master recordings well in a relative 'live' control room, as long as you're accustomed to it, just as you need to be accustomed to your particular speakers for the mix to translate well to other systems.

Of course, there's also a question of whether people's stated preferences actually jive with their actual preferences, which is a much more interesting question.

But I still think bass traps are definitely not snake oil. The do something, the question is just whether you like what they do, or not.

Reply #45
Toole and Olive and the AES authors generally, employing standard scientific language, report results...

Blind, controlled listening test results. The opposite of studiophiles "I heard it I said so" sighted biased "results".

But to the extent a treatment brings room measurements into the ranges and curve shapes that *have* been shown to correlate to population preferences, you can predict they'd *probably* be reported as beneficial on average, if the comparison could be blinded.

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=16640 Ooops.

You willfully ignore what Toole also says, microphones are not 2 ears+brain....and thus listening tests are mandatory.
Otherwise you spew ignorant nonsense like this.
Btw, EQ (often already owned) can "shape curves" too.

Personally, I would take that sort of evidence-from-measurement as 'good enough' to guide my purchases, absent actual DBTs.  (I use that reasonign for loudspeaker buying.) But even that data doesn't seem to exist in any handy form...not for many loudspeakers, and certainly not for many room treatments.

It's a dilemma.

Yeah it is. For believers.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #46
I said I was out of this discussion, but I think it has become abundantly clear that we're arguing about personal preference here.

Yes, sighted vs blind, Studiophile believer vs informed rational. Believers prefer sighted, uncontrolled "listening" and those trump ears only testing, which are to be dismissed/ignored when they conflict with beliefs. Just like their "audiophile" cousins.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #48
It has been conclusively proven that casual sighted listening evaluations are 100% susceptible to false positives and false negatives

What do you call this? What's the name I'm looking for here now, hmmm....
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #49
Probably because he calls names when the discussion is over his head.

This is the kind of response that might prompt the invocation of the name Dunning.