Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Factory made, price < 500 €/$
[ 386 ] (53.6%)
Factory made, price < 1000 €/$
[ 124 ] (17.2%)
Factory made, price < 2000 €/$
[ 80 ] (11.1%)
Factory made, price > 2000 €/$
[ 78 ] (10.8%)
Self made, prepared Kit, price < 800 €/$
[ 10 ] (1.4%)
Self made, prepared kit, price < 2000 €/$
[ 5 ] (0.7%)
Self made, prepared kit, price > 2000 €/$
[ 1 ] (0.1%)
Self made, own design and constr. < 800 €/$
[ 16 ] (2.2%)
Self made, own design and constr. < 2000 $
[ 13 ] (1.8%)
Self made, own design and constr. > 2000 $
[ 7 ] (1%)

Total Members Voted: 1252

Topic: What speakers are you using on your \'good\' stereo system ? (Read 297151 times) previous topic - next topic

What speakers are you using on your \'good\' stereo system ?

Reply #125
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment. I have both the Monitor Audio S8's and S10's on trial and can't decide which I want to go for yet. Some music sounds better on the S8's, other music better on the S10's. I'll vote if and when I make a decision.

Audiophile 24/96 > Arcam Diva A85 > MA S8/S10

I did try Kef Q7s too, they went back within the week, the S10's were alot better.

lucpes post reminded me I didn't clarify in which direction I went (if anyone cares, heh).

I settled on the Monitor Audio S8's. After sitting down with a friend for some extended listening sessions we came to the conclusion (well, more I did) that we really couldn't reliably tell the difference between the two unless cranked up really loud. Even then I couldn't swear the difference wasn't in my head
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #126
hi,
im using
Arcam Diva A65 Plus Amp
Arcam Diva CD 73 T Cd Player
and ELAC 207.2 Speakers

the PC is connected to the amp via the onboard SoundMAX on my asus p4pe with simple analog cable.
sure this could be improved, but for me the SoundMAX doesnt sound that bad.
i think it doesnt upsample sound like my sb live does.
anyone knows how to test if the soundcard does upsampling?

Reply #127
Hi there

Soundcard: Terratec Phase 28 PCI
Receiver : Onkyo TX-DS575 (AC3, DTS)
Speakers Front: Magnat Vector 77
Subwoofer: Canton AS25SC
Interconnects: LS-Cables: Kimber 4PR 2x3m, SP/DIF: Mogami Pure Digital 1.2m

Alltogether bout ~2300€

Reply #128
40 watt Sansuis from the 70s or 80s that still sound amazing. Sansui Amp, too., repaired once, and the tech said that there was a lot of life in it still 

but i gotta say, nothing pisses me off more than "computer multimedia speakers" .. even those $400 Klipsch 5.1 speakers (the old type, not the newer ones with even tinier speakers) are boarderline .. bleh. i need a 6" and a hq tweeter, now that i have half decent speakers in my car... hell, they're probably better than all the speakers in the house 

Reply #129
but i gotta say, nothing pisses me off more than "computer multimedia speakers" .. even those $400 Klipsch 5.1 speakers (the old type, not the newer ones with even tinier speakers) are boarderline ..

IMHO they are more than adequate for movies or games.  However they definitely lack gusto in the mid-range frequencies, which is not so good for music.
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #130
PSB Alpha Minis, PSB Subsonic 5, Creek 4330 mkII integrated amp, and some ancient single disc panasonic cd player (mid 80s).  Monster audio interconnects between the CD and amp.  Pretty standard ?12? gauge speaker wire.

Reply #131
Yamaha AX-590, Canton Ergo 100DC speakers, Sony CDP-511, Sony DTC-690

Don't know if the stereo system can be called "good" but the speakers surely are, huge difference over cheap (=< 500 EUR/pair) ones. I think good speakers is one of the best investments in hardware where difference is really audible. And they last forever, sort of.

BTW, interconnects are the ones that came with the devices, and my speaker cable is some cheap wire from the electronics store .
Maybe I should buy that mysterious "12 gauge" but I have no idea how many mm² that actually is or how it would be called here.

edit: yuck, I accidentally clicked "null vote", can anyone reset this? Doh..

Reply #132
Maybe I should buy that mysterious "12 gauge" but I have no idea how many mm² that actually is or how it would be called here.

It's somewhere in the region of 2 to 2.5mm diameter wire. Just make sure you have clean, unoxidized, tight connections (no push connectors please!) and everything should be ok. No need for the audiophile-gaga wire

Reply #133
Currently using a pair of Mission 733i floorstanders which I've had for around 6 years or so now.  Excellent sound; they cost £330 when I bought them.  They're not currently connected to our PC at home, preferring instead a slightly smaller pair of Creative Labs numbers instead.

The Missions have a great sound, at home with all types of music, so ideal for us.  They're partnered with a Rega P3 t/t, Marantz 6010-KI amp, Denon TU-260L tuner and, last but not least, a Kenwood DP7090 CD player.

The price level's all mid-range (£400) except the tuner (£80-£120 depending on where you buy). 

If I was planning to change anything, it'd likely be a new cartridge or interconnects (currently Audioquest Turquoise), that apart, it's a great system with a great sound.

Reply #134
If I was planning to change anything, it'd likely be a new cartridge or interconnects

A new cartridge I can certainly understand (I could only afford the compentent but not amazing Grado Green) but new Interconnects?
Read this before you splash out on shiny new interconnects: The Truth About Interconnects. The rest of the article is also worth a read if you have some time.

Those Mission floorstanders sound very cool, I am pretty jealous.

Reply #135
M-Audio Revolution 7.1 ~~> M-Audio Studiophile BX8.

These monitors are somewhat bright, but it doesn't come off as irritating.  Plus there are some EQ controls on the back, so it's not much of a problem anyway.  Great (and clear) bass on these too.  Not just "some stuff happening in the low-end", but you can really tell apart all the various bass frequencies in a song w/ these.  Excellent for $480.
seanny.net

Reply #136
but i gotta say, nothing pisses me off more than "computer multimedia speakers" .. even those $400 Klipsch 5.1 speakers (the old type, not the newer ones with even tinier speakers) are boarderline ..

IMHO they are more than adequate for movies or games.  However they definitely lack gusto in the mid-range frequencies, which is not so good for music.

Have a Klipsch Promedia 5.1 set, went kaboom one day, I recently ressurected it with an upgraded power supply and it sounds decent for movies/games. However, music cames out with a boxy-plastic midrange quality so this is a total no-no for anything else than boom-tz-tz music  (boom=bass drum kick, tz=synthesizer hihat sound)

If you have one you may find out that replacing the 5 ohm resistors in the sattelites with 2R7 ones may bring life to the tweeters (wish I knew that a year ago

Reply #137
P.S. - I have another set of speakers hooked up to my computer made by a company called Design Acoustics (an Audio-Technica company), but I can't find any other information about it. Does anyone know anything about it? Thanks.

Ha! Reread old threads and you find something you can answer.

I remember them, they made pretty good stuff ten years ago perhaps. I had a pair of their oversized bookshelf speakers and may still have them in storage (along with a pair of rotted surround, original Advent larger loudspeakers!).

The most notable thing I remember about those speakers outside the odd downward firing woofer on a platform, was the use of an anti-diffractive felt material around the tweeter. I recall it worked pretty well, but made off-axis high frequency response lousy.

They were an Audiosphere company not A-T I believe and audiosphere went bankrupt. That was too bad, because they also owned Dahlquist.

Reply #138
Technic SB-L31's with Kef C series companion. From comp to an Technic amp, which inturn drives them.

Reply #139
Recently got a pair of self-made transmissionline speakers with Visaton drivers

Reply #140
I have Celestion F1 speakers, connected to a Sony TA-FE 350R amp with Richer Sounds speaker cable. Marantz CD4000 CD player. All together, that's about £360

I like the sound but I don't find it too involving. Don't know if I should invest in stands for my Celestions? I suspect the problem is with the speaker placement...

Didn't connect the computer to the system yet. I did connect the iPod though, and it works great. The sound is almost CD-like since I started using AAC.

Reply #141
Digital source(s) (I'm still deciding what I want to do in this area, and I change my mind all the time) to Sony E9000es preamp/decoder updated with newest decoder firmware, Kinergetics KBA-75 Platinum Poweramp to Dynaudio Confidence 5 speakers.  All I can say about this setup is that the Dynaudio speakers are truely awesome.

I am currently looking for a good method to upsample my cd's to 24/96 pcm stream directly to my decoder w/o spending a fortune....

Reply #142
infinity kappa 9.2i series II
Picture

Neat -- my 'good' stereo features their lil' brothers (Kappa 8.2i II) powered by a Yamaha AX-1090

Wish I would've heard the JBL Ti 5000 + Rotel amp combination first, which graced my ears only a few weeks after buying the Kappas and the Yamaha - awesome combo, probably well worth the additional $$$ I would've had to shell out for it.

Oh well, I'm very content with what I have now anyway.
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #143
Wish I would've heard the JBL Ti 5000 + Rotel amp combination first, which graced my ears only a few weeks after buying the Kappas and the Yamaha - awesome combo, probably well worth the additional $$$ I would've had to shell out for it.

I've heard these speakers some time ago. Didn't like the sharp metallic sound of the tweeter and the bass didn't reach very deep. The kappas are more broadband. Maybe the jbl have a higher efficiency factor and sound somewhat more dynamically though.

Reply #144
Heco Presence 543, approx. 25 years old

Reply #145
Kef Q1. Much better than my old pair of JBLs.

Reply #146

I've heard these speakers some time ago. Didn't like the sharp metallic sound of the tweeter and the bass didn't reach very deep. The kappas are more broadband.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=211529"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh yes, that's exactly what I didn't like about those JBLs initially - actually that's what made me pick the Kappas instead. I heard both the Kappas and the JBLs on a Parasound HCA-1200, which emphasized the sharp dry sound of the JBLs.

However a couple weeks later I had the chance to compare both speakers again, this time on some Rotel amp (can't remember the model) and while the Kappas sounded almost sickeningly "sweet", the JBL Ti 5000 sounded just perfectly right. No idea why..

(gee this makes me almost sound like some of those self-proclaimed "audiophile" idiots. oh well, for the lack of better words..)
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #147
Aureal Vortex 2 sound card
Optical Fibre cable (Can't remeber which make)
Onkyo TX-NR901 Amp
Mordaunt Short Declaration 908 floorstanders
Mordaunt Short Declaration 905c centre
Mordaunt Short Declaration 902 Signature rear
Mordaunt Short Declaration 903s rear effect
Mordaunt Short Declaration 909 Sub
Gale speaker cable
Oehlbach bananas

Also use a Hollywood plus for DVD playback

Reply #148
B & W Nautilus 805 speakers for fronts
B & W HTM2 for center
B & W HTM2 for center
B & W CDM 1SE rear surrounds
B & K AVR 202 reciever
Sony CDP-CX555ES CD Jukebox - (though in process of migrating to FLAC on HD)
Kenwood DV-5900M DVD and DVD Audio Jukebox
M-Audio Revolution 7.2 Digital out to AVR 202 for FLAC playback or
Slimdevices Squeezebox with digital out for FLAC and MP3 distribution over 100 mb ethernet LAN

Reply #149
My fronts are super old, probably from the late 70's.  Brand name of MTX.  No idea about the tech specs on them, but they stand the test of time pretty well.  Good midrange, clear bass.  My dad, who handed them down, said they were pretty expensive at the time, ~$3-400 or so.

My rears are, again handed down, some Bose 201's.  Definately replacing these, but money is kind of an issue right now.

My sub a powered Sony SA-WM40.  Pretty good punch for the value.  Had to crack her open and mod it a little though.

All this crap is driven by a Yamaha HTR-5650.  I like it alot.