Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: help me with virtualdub? (Read 6210 times) previous topic - next topic

help me with virtualdub?

Hi

i use virtualdub to make simple edit to my video files

but it doesn't open video files like FVL or MP4

at the begining it did not open even the avi files divx

one feature i love in virtualdub is direct stream -> no loss of quality

well in the free codec here i download K-Lite Codec Pack 5.5.1
i don't know if download Full, Standard and Basic , i need only the codec , in short to visualize and encode the video files

to watch a video i use gomplayer or vlc they have the codec built in

so please help me

what should i do?
install or buy a payware?
is there a way to let virtualdub open these video files?

what do you use?
i like feedback

have a nice day

help me with virtualdub?

Reply #1
There are plugins for VD like FLVInput and Quicktime vdplugins. Try to search them
Also you can always use DirectShowSource() through AviSynth in VD

help me with virtualdub?

Reply #2
DO NOT USE CODECPACKS! Their only purpose is to screw up your system and make you miserable. If you’ve already installed one, better leave it be. Uninstalling is potentially even more dangerous than installing.

As 2E7AH said, get the input plugins for FLV and MP4. You also might need to get ACM/VfW decoders for the audio/video streams inside them. FFDShow is a great solution for the video part. Just make sure to enable H.264 in its VfW decoder config.

You might also want to try Avidemux as an alternative. It works a lot like VDub but has native support for modern media formats.

help me with virtualdub?

Reply #3
There are plugins for VD like FLVInput and Quicktime vdplugins. Try to search them
Also you can always use DirectShowSource() through AviSynth in VD

thanks
sorry i'm a novice
i don't need a quicktime vdplugins i need a mp4
what is it DirectShowSource() through AviSynth in VD?

DO NOT USE CODECPACKS! Their only purpose is to screw up your system and make you miserable. If you’ve already installed one, better leave it be. Uninstalling is potentially even more dangerous than installing.

As 2E7AH said, get the input plugins for FLV and MP4. You also might need to get ACM/VfW decoders for the audio/video streams inside them. FFDShow is a great solution for the video part. Just make sure to enable H.264 in its VfW decoder config.

You might also want to try Avidemux as an alternative. It works a lot like VDub but has native support for modern media formats.

ah thanks
i did not know it
i installed quicktime alternative because i guess the official quicktime is more invasive, did i make a mistake installing quicktime alternative
has avidemux the direct stream feature?
where can i find the filter for virtual dub ,is there a link?

help me with virtualdub?

Reply #4
K-lite is a pretty good codec pack though, I've used it for a long time and it keeps improving, even the install/uninstall options are pretty good. Just don't install other codecs separately and you'll be fine.

I'm not using it anymore but not because it messed up my PC, but because the newest ffdshow SVN plus MPC-HC has pretty much all I need.

help me with virtualdub?

Reply #5
@francesco: it seems that the best for you would be using Avidemux, although even then you need to know something about filters/codecs/containers etc
quicktime vdplugin is the name of the plugin that could help you open mp4 files in VD
don't bother with AviSynth

help me with virtualdub?

Reply #6
@francesco: it seems that the best for you would be using Avidemux, although even then you need to know something about filters/codecs/containers etc
quicktime vdplugin is the name of the plugin that could help you open mp4 files in VD
don't bother with AviSynth

thnks
have a avidemux a direct stream  , i mean save a part of the video without re-code?

i foundquicktime vdplugin,but i can't find a page with all the plugins for virtualdub

i mean i googled quicktime vdplugin but i found a sourceforce page to download not info about the file

thanks again

help me with virtualdub?

Reply #7
@francesco: the correct strategy to video processing is:

1, know your input material (mediainfo will help some), example:
Code: [Select]
[b]mediainfo video.mpg[/b]

General
Complete name                    : video.mpg
Format                          : MPEG-PS
File size                        : 13.5 MiB
Duration                        : 21s 600ms
Overall bit rate                : 5 261 Kbps

Video
ID                              : 224 (0xE0)
Format                          : MPEG Video
Format version                  : Version 2
Format profile                  : Main@Main
Format settings, Matrix          : Default
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                        : 4 668 Kbps
Nominal bit rate                : 6 200 Kbps
Width                            : 720 pixels
Height                          : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio            : 4:3
Frame rate                      : 25.000 fps
Standard                        : PAL
Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
Scan type                        : Interlaced
Scan order                      : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)              : 0.450
Stream size                      : 12.0 MiB (89%)

Audio
ID                              : 192 (0xC0)
Format                          : MPEG Audio
Format version                  : Version 1
Format profile                  : Layer 2
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                        : 384 Kbps
Channel(s)                      : 2 channels
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Resolution                      : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 1 012 KiB (7%)
2. devise a workflow for a specific format (more than one software utility will be needed), and no i wouldn't bother virtualdub with matroška or mp4,

example:
a. goal: to convert flv to avi
b. mplayer decode flv to unc. avi -> use virtualdub and xvid codec to compress video -> use lame to encode audio -> use some muxer to mux both ..

3. know your output material (the thing you end-up with, again mediainfo will help here)

p.s. there is NO magic allinone converter, and those that claim that will do that are better left uninstalled.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung