Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Burn CD with gaps before some tracks but not others (Read 2697 times) previous topic - next topic

Burn CD with gaps before some tracks but not others

My Dell desktop came with a Sonic product that did exactly what I want. After having to rebuild my system from scratch, I lost it. Here's what I'm trying to do: I record programs of varying length from the web, and split them up into 3 minute files. When I burn them (with no gap) they play the way I want - with no gaps (even a click) but when playing back, I can go back to a track rather than the start of the program. But if I put more than one program on a CD, then I DO want a gap between the first and second programs.

I've found a lot of posts on the web from people complaining that they can't record WITHOUT gaps, and I've downloaded maybe 7 or 8 CD-burning software programs to try them out. But every one I've tried either doesn't talk about gaps at all, or only offers the option of the SAME gap before each track.

Any suggestions? The software doesn't have to be free, but since I only ever burn audio CDs (or sometimes copy CDs and DVDs) I'm not looking for something as expensive as Nero.

Reply #1
You could just create a 2-second audio file of silence and insert it wherever you want before burning.

Reply #2
Sorry, but IMO that's a bad suggestion. For it to be useful, there'd need to be some easy way to append said file to the end of the relevant tracks, i.e. to avoid it being written as a separate track. That would be time-consuming without automation, and more importantly, it's unnecessary when one can burn a proper layout, with actual gaps (read: index 0s) of any assortment, using a cue-sheet and a compatible program such as EAC, Burrrn, ImgBurn, etc.

Reply #3
Does anyone have a suggestion for a program to easily create such CUE sheets?

If not, the two second blank files seem like an easy solution. No matter what he does, it will require some manual input as to how the CD will be burned. Whether it's inserting these 2-second files into a file list, or creating a CUE sheet, the process will be similar.

Reply #4
Does anyone have a suggestion for a program to easily create such CUE sheets?

EAC + a text editor

Insert a pregap line where appropriate.

Reply #5
TweetTweet,
How about ImgBurn? See this tutorial.
korth

Reply #6
TweetTweet,
How about ImgBurn? See this tutorial.

It looks like ImgBurn will do the trick! It's a little strange to me (probably because I've never worked with cue sheets before) but it seems to accomplish what I need with very few steps. And I'm sure I can get used to the process. (Great tutorial, too.)

I wonder how Sonic Digital Media LE managed to accomplish the same thing without cue sheets?

Thank you ALL for your prompt responses!