Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar freezes, can't kill background process (Read 4547 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar freezes, can't kill background process

foobar 1.2.4 but same problem with 1.2.3
windows 8 64bit

playing tracks off an audio cd. foobar freezes. I stop the program but these is still a foobar background process. I can't kill it with any technique I know (task manager, taskkill, process explorer) all of which give me an access denied error. without killing it I cannot restart foobar without rebooting.

any help appreciated.

Reply #1
playing tracks off an audio cd.
Just one? Or have you verified this problem systematically by trying multiple CDs?

On the off-chance that it will matter, what is your output method, and do tracks at 44.1 kHz and 16-bit work when played from non-CD sources?

Reply #2
playing tracks off an audio cd.
Just one? Or have you verified this problem systematically by trying multiple CDs?

On the off-chance that it will matter, what is your output method, and do tracks at 44.1 kHz and 16-bit work when played from non-CD sources?

i've had the problem on multiple cds.

in the last few days i've been using output to a bluetooth speaker. the speakers on my tablet are pretty weak. i will make a point today to listen headphones in case the bluetooth has something to do with it.

i don't recall problems with playing mp3s and i don't often listen to wav files - i will try to test both more.

thanks

Reply #3
have you tested the CD drive with other player software just to rule that out?

Reply #4
i've not used this external cd/dvd/blu-ray drive with any other systems and can't for a few days until i get home

i've had some time to play with it. i listened to a audio cd without bluetooth, no problems

i've listened to one (one more currentlly in progress) audio cd ripped to the ssd and played as *.wav, no problems so far

so far the combo of bluetooth speaker, playing off the disc seems to lock up foobar with considerable repeatability requiring a system reboot. good thing this system reboots in about 15 seconds

Reply #5
So we’re getting closer. Something that’s still relevant is this unanswered question:
what is your output method
Developers or more experience users might have other questions or ideas that can help to explain and resolve this.

Reply #6
So we’re getting closer. Something that’s still relevant is this unanswered question:
what is your output method
Developers or more experience users might have other questions or ideas that can help to explain and resolve this.

i no longer think bluetooth has anything to do with it.

it's strictly that on my system running windows 8 with an external usb optical disk player, using foobar2000, playing directly from an audio cd, if i skip around which tracks i play, foobar locks up and leaves a background job running which requires a reboot before i can run any media player.

Reply #7
Only kernel mode code can create such lockups. Has to be antivirus, drivers or some third party code running with admin rights.