Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Replacement For Large Transmission Line Speakers (Read 2174 times) previous topic - next topic

Replacement For Large Transmission Line Speakers

My main music system is set up in my lounge, which is quite large by UK standards. It has allowed me to use some fairly big speakers - an earlier incarnation of these. For various reasons I need to move my main system to a much smaller room (12' X 11' X 9') and can't really accommodate these speakers any more. So, I'm looking to replace them with something much smaller and less obtrusive. The obvious answer is a sub & satellite system or maybe some self-powered monitors. My question is whether I am likely to be able to get anything that will be able to handle low frequencies as impressively as my TLs. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Replacement For Large Transmission Line Speakers

Reply #1
The difficult thing is....  You really can't tell if one speaker is "equal to" or "better" than another without listening, or testing.  Published specs are largely useless.  And, there is no testing-standard among anufacturers.  I don't know if any publications are doing proper tests.

As everybody knows, the laws of nature & physics say that "big things make low frequencies. " A kitten never sounds like a lion!  But a lot depends on speaker design, so you might find a slightly smaller subwoofer in a ported cabinet that has similar bass.    In a limited-size cabinet you can get deeper bass with a small woofer than if you put an oversize woofer in a small cabinet.    But if you want strong and deep bass, you need a large driver in a large cabinet.

The main advantage of a 2.1 system is that there is only one large cabinet to accommodate, and location of the subwoofer isn't critical as critical as location of the tweeters/mids.    If you can do some minor re-construction, you can "hide" the subwoofer in an attic, basement, or closet, etc.

Maybe you can hang the TL speakers from the walls or ceiling???  My "floor standing" rear-channel speakers with 15" woofers are hanging by chains "sideways" above the couch.  (They are actually hanging from the wall, and I reinforced the wall.  )