Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_podcatcher (Read 214726 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_podcatcher

Reply #126
I am having similar issues with this url; http://www.12byzantinerulers.com/rss.xml Podcatcher won't subscribe to it. I checked this with Doppler and it worked there. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sorry. Somehow I double posted this. It gave an error the first time and then showed both posts the next. I am not sure what happened.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #127
Any chance to get "post-processing" for downloaded entries?

Say, I'd like to speed them up 25% with foo_dsp_sountouch, run through ReplayGain or maybe remove "audio banner" in the beginning with some external program.

Then you could also "generalize" re-tagging as one of post-processing actions.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #128
hey, ive loaded a pretty big list of podcast feeds now, and it seems to be using a fair chunk of bandwidth every hour or so to update them all ( I am in new zealand where bandwidth is pretty limited!) .. . . .

is there a way to maybe make it update feeds upon loading foobar and not have anymore automatic updates after that ?

foo_podcatcher

Reply #129
Spacious Mind: nausea mentioned in his last post that he's working on fixing that.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #130
Another problem report:

I subscribed to the podcast from http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/ using the feed URL http://feeds.wnyc.org/radiolab?utm_source=...mpaign=radiolab

However, the generated playlist only contains the podcasts up to last August.  The last one is "Proof" from Aug 10, even though many more have been released since, as can be seen in the feed (when viewed in the browser).  I also tried useing the feed URL http://feeds.wnyc.org/radiolab , but it just gave me an empty playlist.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #131
However, the generated playlist only contains the podcasts up to last August.  The last one is "Proof" from Aug 10, even though many more have been released since, as can be seen in the feed (when viewed in the browser).  I also tried useing the feed URL http://feeds.wnyc.org/radiolab , but it just gave me an empty playlist.

I guess the problem is that podcast author(s) didn't bother to update the feed file since August

foo_podcatcher

Reply #132

I guess the problem is that podcast author(s) didn't bother to update the feed file since August

As I already said, if you check the feed, you'll see that it has been updated.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #133
As I already said, if you check the feed, you'll see that it has been updated.

Indeed. When you said about "seen in the browser" I thought you confuse web page content vs feed content.
But the feed really contains the new entries:

<pubDate>Mon, 08 Feb 2010 14:38:48 -0800</pubDate>

---
The problem I guess is the structural change of the feed. E.g. the latest entry with tag

<media:content url="http://feeds.wnyc.org/~r/radiolab/~5/ian8MWagS7w/radiolab_podcast10proof.mp3" fileSize="7982163" type="audio/mpeg" />

was on 10 Aug 2009. After that mp3 is only referenced in something like:

<enclosure url="http://feeds.wnyc.org/~r/radiolab/~5/DJFiSgBSIRU/radiolab_podcast15sum.mp3" length="0" type="" /><feedburner:origEnclosureLink>http://audio.wnyc.org/radiolab_podcast/radiolab_podcast15sum.mp3</feedburner:origEnclosureLink>

foo_podcatcher

Reply #134
sabio is right. The problem with that particular feed is the blank type attribute for the recent entries. foo_podcatcher is looking for the "audio/*" type. There were also similar problems with some of the other feeds posted. I've made the next version more tolerant of these things and those feeds now work properly.

I'll release an update with these and some more changes in the next week or so.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #135
Just recently got back into foobar too long of a stint with iTunes. I used iTunes to manage my podcasts, so I'm glad to see this component for fb2k! I hope you keep it going.

The only real complaint I've had was previously brought up by ubiquitousnfunky, regarding the date tagging...

1. When new rss feeds are added, the date field is filled with the date from the feed, e.g. 2009-12-20. However, once the the mp3-file for an episode has been downloaded, the value from the file seems to be used. Some podcats however only put the year in the date field and the complete date in the title. - This is annoying when one has multiple podcasts and wants to sort them according to date so as to immediately see the most recent episodes from any podcast.

My suggestion would be for foo_podcatcher to have an option to overwrite the date field in the mp3-file after downloading with the (complete) date from the rss feed. Also, consistent date notation should be ensured if different rss feeds use different date formats to allow consistent sorting.

Things do start to get quite messy when the dates from the feeds are simply replaced with the year, as I'd like to keep them in chronological order. If this can be fixed, or if theres some other kind of workaround, that would be much preferred.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #136
Bump for version 0.1.6.

Don't forget to file any crash reports with the foobar2000 crash reporter. I haven't seen any reports since v0.1.5 but there are lots of changes in this release, so who knows what might have slipped through.

Go get it: http://www.unkempt.co.uk/fb2k/foo_podcatcher.html

foo_podcatcher

Reply #137
If the download location is changed, a φ is appended to the podcast name in the feed manager.  If re-tagging is enabled, a τ is appended.  Are these Greek letters really the symbols that you meant to append, or is it just misbehaving on my machine?

Another question: what is the Orphaned Podcast category for exactly?

foo_podcatcher

Reply #138
Yes, they are correct. Delta for the download period, tau for tagging, and phi for download path. (There's some convoluted logic in there somewhere...)

They are meant to act as reminders/hints that a feed has custom preferences, but I'm open to ideas of other ways of showing this. The tile view could use overlay icons for example.

It's also possible to turn them off in the preferences.

Edit: Orphaned podcasts are those that remain if a feed is removed. The Orphaned Podcasts category provides an easy way of seeing these without having to pick them individually out of an all items Podcatcher playlist.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #139
They are meant to act as reminders/hints that a feed has custom preferences, but I'm open to ideas of other ways of showing this. The tile view could use overlay icons for example.

Oh, no, they're fine  And this is a useful feature.  It's just that using Greek letters seemed a bit unusual, so I was wondering if I was seeing them because of some font/display problem on my computer.

Thanks for the new version!  This is a big improvement over the previous one.  Re-tagging and handling incorrect mime types solved the two biggest annoyances.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #140
I found a small problem:  There is something wrong with the artwork display in the Feed Manager. First, note that I don't have the Feed Manager docked into the main UI (because I use Columns UI).  Here's how to reproduce the problem:

start foobar2000
open the Feed Manager using View -> Podcatcher Feed Manager
wait a couple of seconds until all the artwork appears
close it
open it again
note that the default podcast icon is used for all the podcasts now

After restarting foobar2000, the proper artwork appears again, until the Feed Manager is closed and re-opened.

Another observation: Columns UI can display artwork inline in the playlist.  Most of the podcasts, however, just show the default image, even though they have their own artwork in the Feed Manager.  This problem was present in previous versions too, but I can't figure out what causes the missing artworks (seems mostly random).  Currently only the two very last items show an artwork here.  Previous items from the same podcasts lack the artwork too.  (Note: the artwork pane will only show an artwork for the same elements that have it in the playlist too.  I don't think this is Columns UI specific, it's just easier to see (and more noticeable) which items have an artwork and which don't when viewing them in the playlist, which displays the artwork for all items at the same time.)

EDIT: It may be that it's only shown for downloaded items in this version.

And a suggestion:  If it is possible to do, it would be useful to have the podcasts tagged with the full date (when re-tagging), i.e. year-month-day, not just year.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #141
Is there any way to make podcatcher remember which feeds it already downloaded?
When I am not interested in a feed item I first delete it via Podcatcher=> Remove Podcast and then delete the file.
The next time podcatcher checks the feeds it downloads everything again :-(

foo_podcatcher

Reply #142
Is there any way to make podcatcher remember which feeds it already downloaded?
When I am not interested in a feed item I first delete it via Podcatcher=> Remove Podcast and then delete the file.
The next time podcatcher checks the feeds it downloads everything again :-(

I have the exact same problem, although lately it doesn't seem to happen anymore.
It used to work 100% fine in the versions of Podcatcher for Foobar 0.9.x
No idea why it seemingly started working lately thoug, was using 0.1.5f, just upgraded to 0.1.6 and will see if it starts happening again.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #143
Since I can't edit my post:

Nevermind it still does it. Seems to happen with really recent podcasts only (Maybe the last one?)

foo_podcatcher

Reply #144
Another problem report:

I subscribed to the podcast from http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/ using the feed URL http://feeds.wnyc.org/radiolab?utm_source=...mpaign=radiolab

I reported this one quite a while ago. I also contacted the WNYC people since they're no longer properly tagging their media files (as you figured out). They said they were really busy and would get to it "eventually".

I'm glad to hear it may now work in podcatcher 0.1.6. I'm still on 0.1.2 as I haven't upgraded foobar2000 yet.

- LoopinFool

foo_podcatcher

Reply #145
Yes, that's something I haven't addressed yet. When a podcast is deleted it is completely forgotten about and so treated as new when the feed is updated again.

It would be simple to keep track of a list of podcast ids for deleted podcasts and ignore them in feeds, but the challenge would be in providing a way to let the user undo a delete.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #146
Correction to my earlier post (can't edit any more):  The artwork seems to be only shown for downloaded items, but it is not shown for all downloaded items, just for a random subset.

@LoopinFool:  Yep, it works fine in 0.1.6 now.  If all the popular podcatchers followed the standard properly then these workarounds wound't be needed because publishers would be forced to be more careful ...

foo_podcatcher

Reply #147
The artwork seems to be only shown for downloaded items, but it is not shown for all downloaded items, just for a random subset.
foo_podcatcher does not do anything to provide album art. The feed images you see in the Podcatcher Feed Manager when tile view is enabled are only used in that part of the UI. They are read from the feed and cached in the "feed images" folder under your default download folder. What you are seeing is embedded album art which foobar2000 is reading from the downloaded files. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't.

If all the popular podcatchers followed the standard properly then these workarounds wound't be needed because publishers would be forced to be more careful ...
Amen. Keep letting me know of any you which that don't work though.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #148
Oh quick question, I never really figured out what's the purpose of the Podcatcher -> Remove Podcast option.
What does it do exactly? What happens if I don't remove a podcast, but delete the file?
What happens if I remove the podcast and don't delete the file?

Thanks!

foo_podcatcher

Reply #149
I never really figured out what's the purpose of the Podcatcher -> Remove Podcast option.
This removes the items from foo_podcatcher's internal list of podcasts. It doesn't currently store any reference to the deleted item so when the feed is checked again it will be re-added to the list. This needs to be changed.

What happens if I don't remove a podcast, but delete the file?
foo_podcatcher will recognise that the downloaded file has been deleted and will revert to using the online file.

What happens if I remove the podcast and don't delete the file?
The file remains but foo_podcatcher is not aware of it and it will not appear in any Podcatcher playlists. When the feed is checked again the removed podcast will be re-added to the list.