Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cantilever 'materials' ... (Read 4347 times) previous topic - next topic

Cantilever 'materials' ...

Hi!

Does anyone here know if  there are "papers" available regarding Cantilever 'materials' of stylus.

In linked picture, there are already seven materials listed but, not much information (just how couple of several materials effects in higher frequency area). I would like to know little more over this matter.

Juha

Reply #1
Hi!

Does anyone here know if  there are "papers" available regarding Cantilever 'materials' of stylus.

In linked picture, there are already seven materials listed but, not much information (just how couple of several materials effects in higher frequency area). I would like to know little more over this matter.

The choice of cantalever material is no more important than other parameters. The frequency response charts seem to be simulations to me. Cartridges with reasonably flat frequency response have been made using a number of materials in the past, including some shown as providing different results in the charts shown, above.

Reply #2
How much cantilever material has effect in cartridge design?

My case:
I have two decent cartridges (Technics EPC205 CMK3 and U205 CMK3, both MM) which both originally had stylus with boron cantilever ... now the cartridge and even the original replacement stylus are in NOS state. There are 3rd party replacement styluses which all seem to use aluminium cantilever.
I actually found one original (not intend for the two models I have, but for 205 ED/MK2) stylus and it has a titanium canitlever. All these three stylus have same needle type (0.2x0.7 mil elliptical stylus, block diamond tip).

I have now compared the titanium one against the aluminium one and, so far, the titanium one has been a bit raw sounding (maybe bacause it's brand new) on both catridges (actually, I used the U205CMK3 1st time last week even got it ~'83 ... ).

Also the signal level coming from turntable seems to get lower with this new stylus on both cartridges.

So, now I'm wondering if the new stylus is wrong for my two cartridges (by their design)?

Juha