Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ripping with EAC/flac.exe or foobar2000? (Read 4130 times) previous topic - next topic

ripping with EAC/flac.exe or foobar2000?

I'm about to start ripping all my cd's into flac. Does to combination EAC/flac.exe adds alot above using the diskwriter plugin for foobar2000?

I've tried to search to forums for an answer to this questions, which must be an faq, but I can't find any references to it at all.

Thanks,

Anders

Reply #1
If your CDs are in perfect state (no scratches, clean, etc.) the results should be the same.

Otherwise, you should use EAC to improve the rips' quality.

Reply #2
I'm about to start ripping all my cd's into flac. Does to combination EAC/flac.exe adds alot above using the diskwriter plugin for foobar2000?

I've tried to search to forums for an answer to this questions, which must be an faq, but I can't find any references to it at all.

Thanks,

Anders

Try to search on Foobar's forums.  It was discussed there. Making a story short, it's recommended to stay with EAC, because it offers secure ripping. Foobar's cd audio reading routine is based on akrip and it doesn't offer advanced error correction.

Reply #3
Doing basically the same as Thoresson, but just experimenting, first. I always rip with EAC, but what would be better for converting to FLAC, EAC, FLAC Front end or is there something better? I found a thread about using EAC, but everyone sounded kinda iffy about it.
I see "Deaf" people! d(-_-)b

Reply #4
Doing basically the same as Thoresson, but just experimenting, first. I always rip with EAC, but what would be better for converting to FLAC, EAC, FLAC Front end or is there something better? I found a thread about using EAC, but everyone sounded kinda iffy about it.

I would use EAC and Foobar. Rip tracks to wav in EAC. Download from Case's site a plugin foo_flaccer.dll
http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/foobar2000/foo_flaccer.zip
Select in diskwriter options, output format -> FLAC. Add your wav files to the playlist, select all, right click, select convert -> setting, choose your options. Then again right click and select run conversion.

Reply #5

I would use EAC and Foobar. Rip tracks to wav in EAC. Download from Case's site a plugin foo_flaccer.dll
http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/foobar2000/foo_flaccer.zip
Select in diskwriter options, output format -> FLAC. Add your wav files to the playlist, select all, right click, select convert -> setting, choose your options. Then again right click and select run conversion.

Thanks! I thought that "Diskwriter" option in F2K, was only if your trying to burn a disk, and right now I'm just trying to convert to FLAC, and not burn anything.

Again Thanx!

B.T.W. What's the difference between the 'foo_flaccer.dll' from Case's site and the one that was already installed in F2K? They seem to be two different sizes.
I see "Deaf" people! d(-_-)b