Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Re-encoding flac files to "enforce" Replaygain (Read 3400 times) previous topic - next topic

Re-encoding flac files to "enforce" Replaygain

Since I am yet to find a good network server which can apply Replaygain to the flac files being streamed, I was thinking of re-encoding all files, while enforcing a shift in loudness matching the value in each file's Replaygain tag.

Can this be done without losing any information on the lossless files, both the audio (apart from the +-db shift, of course) and tags? Would the loudness shift adulterate the audio, e.g clipping, etc?

cheers,
gaius

Reply #1
Btw, there's another thread discussing volume normalization.
Here I'm thinking specifically about replaygain loudness shifting, so there shouldn't be any dynamic range compression.

But will the re-encoding process alter the audio (waveform) information?

Reply #2
Can this be done without losing any information on the lossless files, both the audio (apart from the +-db shift, of course) and tags? Would the loudness shift adulterate the audio, e.g clipping, etc?

Applying replaygain will introduce some minor rounding error, so its not lossless.  A single bit of rounding error is generally accepted to be inaudible though, so I do not think it would reduce quality.