Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MPEG-DASH not supported (Read 4138 times) previous topic - next topic

MPEG-DASH not supported

Hello!

I love foobar and I've been using it for more than 8 years, and after this amount of time I finally bumped into error I'd like to report.

All files downloaded from here (using option M4A) are unplayable by foobar (I tested it on latest version), while Media Player Classic has no problem with them.

Here is error that is displayed after trying to play any of them in foobar:
"Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported format or corrupted file (array access out of range))".

How can I play it in foobar?
If it's trivial question, I am sorry but I wasn't able to find answer by myself!

Have a good day!

MPEG-DASH not supported

Reply #1
What codec is it? "m4a" means it is an mp4 container, and most m4a files you buy would be AAC, but mp4 can contain quite a lot of stuff.

MPEG-DASH not supported

Reply #2
Maybe they are MPEG DASH? foobar2000 doesn't support them (yet?).

MPEG-DASH not supported

Reply #3
Open the file again in Media player classic, file, properties, mediainfo tab. Copy everything in this tab and paste it in to your next post using the following
Code: [Select]
[codebox]paste mediainfo stuff here[/codebox]
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

MPEG-DASH not supported

Reply #4
That's an MPEG-Dash file (look at the header which has the magic string ftypdash).

MPEG-DASH not supported

Reply #5
Huh, now I might have gotten something wrong, I didn't know that was a codec ... or it isn't? Does that mean that it is not an actual media file, just a pointer?

MPEG-DASH not supported

Reply #6
Thank you all, here is info from MediaInfo utility:
Code: [Select]
Format                                   : dash
Codec ID                                : dash
File size                                : 2.46 MiB
Duration                                : 2mn 42s
Overall bit rate                        : 127 Kbps
Encoded date                            : UTC 2013-12-09 11:13:20
Tagged date                              : UTC 2013-12-09 11:13:20

Audio
ID                                      : 1
Format                                  : AAC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                          : LC
Codec ID                                : 40
Duration                                : 2mn 42s
Bit rate                                : 126 Kbps
Channel(s)                              : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode                        : Lossy
Stream size                              : 2.43 MiB (99%)
Encoded date                            : UTC 2013-12-09 11:13:20
Tagged date                              : UTC 2013-12-09 11:13:20

So it's dash format. :/
What can I do?

MPEG-DASH not supported

Reply #7
Huh, now I might have gotten something wrong, I didn't know that was a codec ... or it isn't? Does that mean that it is not an actual media file, just a pointer?

MPEG-Dash isn't a codec as such.  It probably contains AAC audio packets (I haven't checked), but it is a variation on the MPEG container specification that breaks the audio into small HTTP packets.  It isn't really the sort of thing you expect to come across in an actual file since the whole point of it is that it dynamically adapts to network conditions.  That tool obviously just rips the HTTP stream into a file.

Player support for this isn't widespread yet.  There's a VLC plugin and there is an open source library used in some phone apps.