Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Text Display (foo_textdisplay) (Read 218643 times) previous topic - next topic

Text Display (foo_textdisplay)

Reply #75
is it possible to change the edge type to grey? it seems to me like it is set to sunken...

Is there any hope of getting this fixed?  It seems like it would be easy to do.

Reply #76
Is it open-sourced? can we get the source somewhere? I'd like to try some implementations...

Reply #77
I don't think so, but you could try to contact foosion about it...

Reply #78
Now that foobar 1 got coloring (ok, highlighting) commands, it would be nice to see them in the text display component too. Just an idea, but it could info displays look nicer

Reply #79
If you mean the ">" and "<" coloring then yes: would be nice.

I am wondering if textdisplay will support the global settings for source and if at all then how?

Reply #80
By "source" you mean the "prefer now playing/selection" option?
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #81
Yes, that's what i mean! Actually it seems clear that textdisplay would respect these global options after an update. But due to its characteristics there is a problem: the playback related stuff like %is_playing%, %time_remaining% and so on. What if you have choosen "selection" as source? You will end with a mess: playback related things and selection related stuff are mixed in one diplay. Maybe it could be a solution to provide two diplays: one selection info viewer and one utility for display of playback information that offers all that playback variables. Just an idea! I was curios to hear what foosion is planning.

Reply #82
I haven't had time yet to take a closer look at the new APIs relevant for foo_textdisplay, so I can't say anything concrete yet. Just be sure that I understand what you mean: Would you prefer the option to have the Text Display element display either the playing track or selection, without fallback? If I remember correctly, the special playback fields should already be available, if the element displays the playing track. There should be some logic to detect this even when displaying the selection.

With regards to one of the posts above: I'm planning to add configurable margins.

I wanted to make an experiment with a new title formatting function in foo_textdisplay when I released the next version. Seeing as I'm not sure when that will be and as the function is already partially implemented (see below), I'm just going to do it now. So without further ado I present $days_ago():
Code: [Select]
$days_ago(date)
// Returns the number of calendar days since the given date.

I say partially implemented, because the display does not automatically update yet at midnight or when the system time is changed by the user. I know lots of people won't care about this restriction.

Usage examples:
[Days since last played: $days_ago(%last_played%)$crlf()]
[Days since added to library: $days_ago(%added%)$crlf()]

Now for the experiment: I'd like to know how people use this function. Is it useful on its own? Is it only used as building block in more complex expressions and should be be replaced/accompanied by higher-level functions? Please post your comments here! If there are a lot of responses I will split them to a separate thread, so it might be helpful to put discussions about $days_ago and other things in separate posts.

That's it for now. Thank you for your attention!

Reply #83
Just be sure that I understand what you mean: Would you prefer the option to have the Text Display element display either the playing track or selection, without fallback?

That is the point why i was so curios! Generally i like more the selection source mode more as i also quickly can display playing track by double click in status bar - not to forget the possibility given by "cursor follows playback". So i checked the correspondending option in foobar2000 1.0 and my textdiplays that shows lyrics, other tags and such stuff are in socalled selection mode ("prefer playing track" is unchecked in context menu). A special case is naturally the displays restricted to playing track using all that playback fields: it doesn't make sense to subordinate them under the new global options. In my post above i talked about two ui elements and somehow in the meantime i feel bad about this idea. However, i think somehow a seperation should be achieved if using global options - what now comes to my mind is maybe a check option in context menu in layout editing mode that activates this special purpose. To sum it up: i really would love to see foo_textdiplay using the global options. I can remember that in the early days of the new DUI Lyx said that mixing source modes for selection viewers around the whole layout will end in confusion: wich ui element is displaying what?

Edit:
Concerning the special functions: what do you mean with experiment? I am not sure if you also mean using them outside of textdisplay.

Reply #84
Hello,

small request: left/right alignment would look much better, if there were a little space between text and border (configurable or not). I prefer left alignment, but unfortunately the text sticks too much to the left panel side. Or is there any title formatting syntax to solve this problem?

Workaround for short lines (e.g. lyrics):

$repeat( ,5)$replace(%lyrics%,$crlf(),$crlf()$repeat( ,5))

Reply #85
I haven't had time yet to take a closer look at the new APIs relevant for foo_textdisplay, so I can't say anything concrete yet.

Since the 1.0 final my current layout contains only one textdisplay showing now playing information and a simple progress bar. Now i switched to another layout containing some textdiplays more that don't prefer the playing track. I remarked that they are related to now playing track regardless what option ist checked in context menu of foo_textdisplay. I did a check with a 0.9.6.6 version i found on my disk and here it works fine. Can someone confirm?

Reply #86
Concerning the special functions: what do you mean with experiment? I am not sure if you also mean using them outside of textdisplay.
No, I don't plan to add $days_ago() to my other components, and it is technically not possible to make it available globally. The experiment is only about evaluating if this function is useful as it is or if it is too low-level.

Reply #87
I guess it would be useful for auto statistics scripts, like hotness, maybe DAR (I don't know about that) or any title formatting script requiring system date. Many requested it - no one here replies about it, maybe because it's foo_textdisplay thread

If someone is there (at low level), maybe file attribute info can be taken in consideration?
date (modified (exist already), created, accessed) and file attributes

[edit] it seems I misunderstood your saying - you are considering this only in your component and not globally, heh, delete my post

Reply #88
Hello,

I love the foo_textdisplay tool - it´s nearly perfect to me. 

I have a question:
Is there a hint or a trick that I can select a single word of the lyrics text with a double mouse
click (similar to notepad)?

Example:
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/2826/snapl.gif

It's only possible to copy the whole text (right mouse key + "Copy text") but I have to select only one
single word to use it in combination with an OCR software Lingopad (http://www.ego4u.de/de/lingopad)
to get a translation of many unknown english words. 

O.K. I am german 

I am looking forward to any reply.

Thx

Reply #89
Now for the experiment: I'd like to know how people use this function. Is it useful on its own? Is it only used as building block in more complex expressions and should be be replaced/accompanied by higher-level functions? Please post your comments here! If there are a lot of responses I will split them to a separate thread, so it might be helpful to put discussions about $days_ago and other things in separate posts.

That's it for now. Thank you for your attention!

I added this to my text display, here is how I set it up

$if(%last_played%,
$ifequal($days_ago(%first_played%),0
,This is the first time this track has played
,This track has been played %play_count% times and the last time was $days_ago(%last_played%) days ago)
,This is the first time this track has played)

EDIT - I just started using foo_playback_custom and have it update at the end of the song and this works perfectly for me.

Reply #90
I think this component is a good peace of work, but I also think there really should be an option to choose from grey, sunken and none border style. At least please use grey as default, but not sunken. I mean, how many percent of the users are using ugly sunken (no offense)? 
I know components' functionality is the most important part though.

Edit: I just read something about configurable margins that are planned. Maybe that's what I mean.

Reply #91
Excuse me, but how do you display lyrics ? I have installed foo_lyricsdb and foo_textdisplay, I have put this code in it :

%title%$crlf()
[%artist%$crlf()]
[%album%[ '('%date%')']$crlf()]
$crlf()]
$if2(%LYRICS%,No lyrics available)

But nothing is shown...

EDIT : OK, done ! I've found my error : one ]...

Reply #92
All I wanted was to put lyrics in a tab. Here's how I have it set up right now:

Very top, standard controls, buttons/volume/seek/menubar
Below that, to the left and middle, Facets (three-pane, widescreen rocks!)
Below the left-most pane, album art and visualizer toolbars
To the right of that, tabbed the active playlist and EQ (in case I wanna mess with that more)
To the VERY right, tabbed selection properties, playlist manager, and below playlist manager, tabbed console and visualizer (Shpeck).

Where selection properties are, I wanna add tabs, one for selection properties and another for lyrics. Help a n00b please.

And oh, DUI BTW. I wanna see how far I can really pimp it out, since Columns UI sounds like it'd take more of my CPU up.

A question of mathematics.

I am curious if a three-answer status can be made with the following stipulations:

If playback equals playback remaining, show length
If playback is greater than --:--, show playback
If playback equals --:--, show --:--

Can --:-- equal 00:00, or simply, 0? I ask this because I have set up in text display right now playback / remaning (length), and I listen to online radio stations a whole bunch. I think it would be possible if instead of length,--:--, it can be what I stipulated above, so when I listen to online radio, instead of length as total time of playback + remaining, it becomes playback time. So instead of this:
1:00:00 / --:-- (--:--)

It becomes this:
1:00:00 / --:-- (1:00:00)

Then while playing a song I own, it's still this like it is right now:
1:28 / 3:32 (5:00)
------------^^^
No maths involved, just song length

Possible? Or is this kind of stuff way beyond fb2k? I've been racking my head over it for a couple hours now and I cannot seem to get it right.

Reply #93
not sure i fully understand what you're asking?? something like this maybe?

%playback_time% / $if2(%playback_time_remaining%,--:--)[ '('%length%')']

Reply #94
Exactly like what i have now.
$if2(%playback_time%,--:--) / $if2(%playback_time_remaning,--:--) %if('('%length%')','('--:--')')

Yielding:
1:00 / 4:00 (5:00)

But where %length% is, I want %length% to become %playback_time% if %playback_time_remaining yields 0... Wait, why didn't I say that before? *facepalm*

I'm tired. All I want to happen is for %length% to become %playback_time% when there is no %playback_time_remaining% for the sake of looks. Just looks better to me if I am using %length% as total time that %length% is %playback_time% just to fill it in.

And oh, if %length non-existant, become "--:--"

Reply #95
Making another reply in case someone is answering the previous post (like hell, lol):

Condition 1: If any song is playing where there is a playback remaining, show song length.
Condition 2: If an online stream is active, which does not show playback remaining, show playback elapsed.
Condition 3: Else, nothing is playing or selected, show --:--

I eventually found it after keeping locked inside my own head. For fuiture reference and the reference of others:
$if($ifequal(%playback_time_remaining%),0,%playback_time%,%length%),--:--)

Used like this:
$if2(%playback_time%,--:--) / $if2(%playback_time_remaining%,--:--) $if2($ifequal(%playback_time_remaining%,0,'('%playback_time%')','('%length%')'),'('--:--')')$crlf()
The result is show song elapsed / song remaining (song length), unless song remaining is 0, else show (stream elapsed), show --:-- / --:-- (--:--) when nothing is selected/playing.

Reply #96
foosion, thanks for this great component. Please, could you add color control (using > and <) and text alignment (using $tab())?

Reply #97
Is there any way of displaying the contents of selected album in media library window (in tracks)?

Reply #98
I do not know what you mean (in tracks).

Have you checked your general foobar preferences?

Preferences>Display>Selection Viewers>etc.

Reply #99
So either this entire component and thread is a big joke, or this doesn't work anymore. There's no way to add a "Text Display" panel into foobar, and there's nothing in the Preferences about it. Yet it still shows up on my Installed Components list.