Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: QAAC: discussion, questions, feature requests, etc. (Read 676315 times) previous topic - next topic

QAAC: discussion, questions, feature requests, etc.

Reply #75
Please post foobar2000 console message (view->console).

Reply #76
the previous post says that message is from the console...

perhaps it's an outdated version of foobar without foo_input_alac? old versions need that to tag files. the current version can play and tag apple lossless without the need for extra components as it uses the recently released source code.

Reply #77
the previous post says that message is from the console...
Oh, sorry... I missed the sentence.
I just wanted to see more detailed information such as the exact command line or something, which should have been printed to the console.

Reply #78
Thanks for replying guys, but the problem is solved ! The problem must be on the Foobas side since i update from 1.0.9 to 1.1.10 and everything work now

Thanks for the nice piece of software (QAAC), i'm now converting my flac collection to ALAC with much more ease !!

Soren

Reply #79
@nu774

On my system (i5-2410m/win7x64/fb2k1.1.10/qtlite4.10/qaac1.13), qaac.exe will "stop working" when converting with "thread detect" set to 0 in fb2k.
But qaac0.99 works fine.

Any suggestion?

Reply #80
On my system (i5-2410m/win7x64/fb2k1.1.10/qtlite4.10/qaac1.13), qaac.exe will "stop working" when converting with "thread detect" set to 0 in fb2k.
But qaac0.99 works fine.

Any suggestion?

Have no idea, though I haven't tried qaac with QT Lite.
Could you add --log option like the following, and let me see the log file as well as foobar2000's console log?
Code: [Select]
-o %d - --log %d.txt

Reply #81
I installed QT Lite 4.10 (into vritual machine  ).  It contain CoreAudioToolbox 7.9.5.0 btw.

For qaac 1.14: the error window pops up in the middle of encoding but qaac continues to encode an input file; its log file is fine.

The pop-up window contains the following:
Error signature:

AppName: qaac.exe    AppVer: 0.0.0.0    ModName: msvcr80.dll
ModVer: 8.0.50727.4053    Offset: 000029e1

Reply #82
HI is it possible encode 2.1 audio without losing any channel information? I get unsupported format error..

Reply #83
HI is it possible encode 2.1 audio without losing any channel information? I get unsupported format error..

If you don't want to lose LFE, you have to upmix to 5.1.
Try matrix like the following:
1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 0
0 0 1
0 0 0
0 0 0

Reply #84
I installed QT Lite 4.10 (into vritual machine  ).  It contain CoreAudioToolbox 7.9.5.0 btw.

Thanks for testing.
For qaac 1.14: the error window pops up in the middle of encoding but qaac continues to encode an input file; its log file is fine.

Sounds like the background thread created by CoreAudio is crashing.

As for regular installation of CoreAudioToolbox 7.9.7.3 -- though you might see it as 7.9.7.8 or something ;-), it creates new background thread when the DLL is attached to the process (from qaac point of view, this  thread is spawned via a call to LoadLibararyW(L"CoreAudioToolbox.dll").

I don't know what the background thread is for, but it looks like just sitting and waiting for something.
In fact, I just tried killing it. qaac main thread just continued as if nothing happened, and terminated properly, as you say.

Very interesting, but there's nothing I can do here.

@holyrevenger
I have to say that you'd better use regular Apple Application Support.
Not to mention of license issue, 7.9.5.0 is just too old and HE encoder is not available  (It was available via QuickTime, but cannot be used directly from CoreAudioToolbox).
If you don't want to install them, just search and read this thread.

Reply #85
I quickly investigated on this further. Seems like this thread is owned by libdispatch, which is used by Apple Application Support.

Documented at here: http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#do.../reference.html
Open sourced implementation here: http://libdispatch.macosforge.org/

The fact that qaac runs fine without this dispatcher thread bound to main queue of libdispatch probably means that it's simply not used at least by AAC encoder... But I don't know.

If you have this kind of trouble with regular installation, please let me know. However, if the problem happens here, probably there's nothing I can do. It's completely internal of CoreAudio job.

Reply #86
@nu774

Thanks for your advice.
Think of the version of QTLite is too old, I install AppleApplicationSupport and it works fine now.

Reply #87
Hello hydrogenaudio Im a newbee on here and this is my first post so please be gentle. 
I have a couple of simple questions regarding Qaac which Im sure you experts can help me out with please.Firstly Im running windows 7 32 bit.I have downloaded the latest Qaac from the link on the first post but in the x64 folder which I think is for me all I see is refalac64 and a few Dlls. Where is the qaacq.exe file ?Thank you.
Also for it to work in Foobar would these settings be ok  --tvbr 60 --highest - %d  I just want to use it for my Iriver H340 and what does highest on the command line mean.Many thanks in advance.Ans keep up the good work.
P.S All I have downloaded is Quick time and foobar is this correct or is there anything better or anything else I need..x

Reply #88
Are you trying to execute a 64-bit application on a 32-bit Windows? That wouldn't work anyway.

Reply #89
Firstly Im running windows 7 32 bit.I have downloaded the latest Qaac from the link on the first post but in the x64 folder which I think is for me all I see is refalac64 and a few Dlls. Where is the qaacq.exe file ?Thank you.
qaac is 32bit only. Anything inside x64 folder won't run in your environment anyway. Just ignore them, and copy contents of x86 folder to somewhere you like.
Also for it to work in Foobar would these settings be ok  --tvbr 60 --highest - %d
Doesn't work. The following is identical to that qtaacenc command line:
-V60 -q2 - -o%d
However, you had better read usage page for more details.

Reply #90
So the x86 is the 32 bit exe file? God Im dumb.  Thanks you very much for your advice.What did highest mean do you know.If not it doesn't matter and thanks again.

Reply #91
"x86" once had the meaning of "intel 80x86 family compatible", to be separated from Motorola and RISC processors with a different machine code. That abbreviation existed already in 8-bit and 16-bit times, even long before AMD made the first Athlon 64 with 64-bit architecture mode. Therefore, "x86" still means "compatible with 32-bit addressing" too.

Option "--highest" of qtaacenc (using the highest amount of efforts to encode efficiently, taking the longest time) is equal to "-2" of qaac.

Reply #92
"x86" once had the meaning of "intel 80x86 family compatible", to be separated from Motorola and RISC processors with a different machine code. That abbreviation existed already in 8-bit and 16-bit times, even long before AMD made the first Athlon 64 with 64-bit architecture mode. Therefore, "x86" still means "compatible with 32-bit addressing" too.

Option "--highest" of qtaacenc (using the highest amount of efforts to encode efficiently, taking the longest time) is equal to "-2" of qaac.

Superb.

Reply #93
Was the message that showed channel remapping lost at some version? I updated to the latest QAAC but I don't see the message anymore.

Reply #95
Was the message that showed channel remapping lost at some version? I updated to the latest QAAC but I don't see the message anymore.

Yes, it's not displayed since 1.00 due to the drastic underlying API change. On 1.00 branch, I dropped QuickTime7 and moved to CoreAudio.
--remix option was also dropped, and now is superceded by --matrix-preset and --matrix-file.

Reply #96
Released 1.18 now. Enabled channel layout printing with --verbose on.

Reply #97
Released 1.18 now. Enabled channel layout printing with --verbose on.

Thanks for adding the option without me even asking for it

Reply #98
Before I decide to encode all of my music to qaac .Does anyone know if there will be any significant improvements in the near future regarding sound quality.Many thanks..

Reply #99
Before I decide to encode all of my music to qaac .Does anyone know if there will be any significant improvements in the near future regarding sound quality.Many thanks..

Sound quality is of course the same as files generated with Quicktime/iTunes directly, since qaac interfaces Apple's encoders. So you should bug Apple about their encoders if you deem them too bad. At relatively low bitrates, Quicktime was recently found to produce the highest quality AAC encodes, though.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.