Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

I want to receive:

email for every new post to the subscribed topic (old HA forum setting)
[ 11 ] (42.3%)
only 1 email per board visit for each subscribed topic (new HA forum setting)
[ 15 ] (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Topic: "Immediate Email Notification" setting POLL (Read 7150 times) previous topic - next topic

"Immediate Email Notification" setting POLL

Ok, the forum software upgrade changed the way the "Immediate Email Notification" setting for subscribed topics work.

The new setting is as follows: "There may be more replies to this topic, but only 1 email is sent per board visit for each subscribed topic. This is to limit the amount of mail that is sent to your inbox." The old HA forum ignored this and always sent an email.

It was planned this way but the change was not published to users. I missed several posts because of this and I wonder how many users are still unaware of this changed setting.

Garf gave this answer in other topic and I do understand the point:
No changes planned here. Sending multiple emails is particularly a problem because gazillions of people are asking for email replies, and then changing ISP without changing their email here. As a result, our server is constantly hammering those ISP's with mails for invalid addresses.

But I got to raise the downside of this: I find it stupid that I'd have to login every time just to get new notifications in the future. Usability issue.

I'm curious to see what others think about this change.. so vote. Thanks.

P.S. I hope the poll comes out good.. there's no way to preview it before posting.

Reply #1
The old way was sth more useful, as I sometimes "ignore" irrelevant postings and therefore miss more important ones...
audiophile // flac & wavpack, mostly // using too many audio players

Reply #2
Is there a problem with the poll? Total Votes: 8, but only 3+2 votes to both choices. And I think it's stupid that guests can't see results.. wasn't that otherwise with the old HA forum?

Reply #3
The difference is caused by null votes (i.e. when you only want to see the results).
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #4
Bump! Sorry.

Needs more readers.. and votes.

Would it be a hassle to stab the forum code and providing an option to choose between these two polled settings per subscribed topic? Many seem to like the old setting but there's support for the new setting also... though it's stupid to make any definitive conclusions from only 14 total votes.

Reply #5
So few votes.

But it seems that the opinion is split.. though there's not much votes to make any proper conclusions.

Any comments from the forum admins? A definitive "not going to happen" (or "we'll do it gladly" ) answer to "provide an option to choose between these two settings?" question would allow this topic to be buried. Thanks.

Reply #6
I already made it clear in my original post, which you quoted, that this behavior would not change. This poll was useless from the very beginning.

Reply #7
Oh, ok, thanks a lot. Nice to see that my time put to this matter was completely wasted. This topic has.. had two objectives; to spread the word that you changed this setting when you upgraded the forum software (why? you didn't inform this to the users), and to see if there would be lots of interest in the subject and possibly lot of votes to the "old setting" so it could make you reconsider the change. But, it was useless. Ok. Anyways, thanks for the answer I guess.