Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC Speed question (Read 9840 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC Speed question

I'm trying out EAC based on the high praise given to it on this site, but I'm wondering if I've got something set wrong because it seems really slow.

I've tried using both my Liteon 24x10x40 CDR and Pioneer DVD-104s drives and the best speed I can get is ~4x...

Is it really that slow for everyone else?  I can rip ~18x using CDEX with full cdparanoia mode enabled...

EAC Speed question

Reply #1
4x may be about right for that particular drive under EAC.  Speed will very a lot with different drives under EAC, some are pretty fast (approaching 20x) while others rip much more slowly.  If you can actually get those kinds of speeds in CDex with full paranoia mode, that sounds like maybe it'd be a better choice for you.  Personally I use EAC because of many of the extra features it has in relation to offsets, cue file generation, burning, etc.

EAC Speed question

Reply #2
smackbadger,

Maybe a firmware update could help? http://www.liteonit.tw
EAC behaves quite strangely speed-wise on my system too, sometimes (depending on the IDE configuration). Try running only one drive at a time as secondary master - does that make a difference?

CU

Dominic

EAC Speed question

Reply #3
smackbagder, I'm sorry but that's about the maximum you can get with your current drives.

You see, for efficient EAC use your drive has to have the magical combination "accurate stream, doesn't cache audio, supports C2", where the C2 support must be verified with experiments. Unfortunately most drives seem to have "accurate stream, caches audio, doesn't support C2" which renders them useless for EAC secure ripping.

Audio caching is dangerous because EAC would get identical data straight from the drive's cache with both reading cycles even when the sector is damaged. EAC works around this by resetting the cache between every reading cycle slowing the process down quite a bit.

Your Liteon as well as Pioneer do cache audio data which slows the ripping process down terribly. But no need to worry, with my HP 9310i I get 2.3x maximum at secure mode

You can browse through "CD-rippers of your dreams" here:

http://www.ping.be/satcp/eacoffsets01.htm

EAC Speed question

Reply #4
Hmmm, I rip at 4x to 5x speed on my Plextor drive in secure mode and since the drive uses audio caching I just cannot get it to rip any faster than that.

It'll rip at 6x speed when I use C2 instead so that really isn't worth it.

Regards stoff

EAC Speed question

Reply #5
well i rip at 12x in secure mode

EAC Speed question

Reply #6
My humble little Mitsumi CR-4804TE rips at 7x in secure mode!

john33

EAC Speed question

Reply #7
My Asus CD-S500/A rips at 14X in secure mode.

EAC Speed question

Reply #8
My Plextor Ultraplex 40 rips around 11-12x

EAC Speed question

Reply #9
How annoying! :eyebrow:

Regards from a somewhat dissapointed stoff

EAC Speed question

Reply #10
can't u disable caching ?

EAC Speed question

Reply #11
Originally posted by Benjamin Lebsanft
can't u disable caching ?

:confused:

In EAC or the firmwire? My Plextor 121032 TA uses caching so, yeah, it's disabled in EAC, but that is exactly what slows it down AFAIK.

Oh what the hell. I'll survive it. It's just odd.

Regards stoff

EAC Speed question

Reply #12
smackbadger,

I would just like to let you know that I have a LiteOn drive as well, LTR-0841 (8x/4x/32x), and with EAC Secure Mode, Accurate Stream, no C2, no caching, I get rips around 4.5x.

Cheers,

Uosdwis

EAC Speed question

Reply #13
Originally posted by smackbadger
I'm trying out EAC based on the high praise given to it on this site, but I'm wondering if I've got something set wrong because it seems really slow.

I've tried using both my Liteon 24x10x40 CDR and Pioneer DVD-104s drives and the best speed I can get is ~4x...

Is it really that slow for everyone else?  I can rip ~18x using CDEX with full cdparanoia mode enabled...
I had the same problem myself with my Lite-On LTR24102B burner... But the problem was easily fixed... First of all, you need firmware 5S07... Do not use the latest firmware as it´ll hinder your burner from reaching the maximum speed... EAC will identify the burner as a 7.9x drive instead of 39.9x with any newer firmware... So once you have flashed your drive with the 5S07 firmware, go to the drive options menu for your Lite-On in EAC and select the tab "Offset / speed"... There you´ll find something called "Speed selection", choose "39.9x" as the highest speed, and also "mark" "Allow speed reduction during extraction"... That´ll allow your drive to reach its maximum... My record so far is 16x ripping with accurate stream, C2 and caching...

EAC Speed question

Reply #15
Originally posted by stoff

In EAC or the firmwire? My Plextor 121032 TA uses caching so, yeah, it's disabled in EAC, but that is exactly what slows it down AFAIK.

Regards stoff

Hey, Stoff...

I have the same drive,  and as I recall,  the firmware before 1.05 is supposed to not cache...  there have been ones up to 1.09,  I've updated myself thru them. 

But,  since I've started to seriously use EAC,  and caching is a negative,  I'm going to go back and see which is the best.  One update pushed that drive's  DAE speed to 32x,  hopefully not  enabling the cache at the same time..

I'm going to experiment with this myself,  so I'll keep you posted with results..