Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Which Replaygain mode do you use for listening?

Track gain
[ 54 ] (17.7%)
Album gain
[ 208 ] (68.2%)
I don't use Replaygain
[ 43 ] (14.1%)

Total Members Voted: 375

Topic: Which Replaygain mode do you use? (Read 29491 times) previous topic - next topic

Which Replaygain mode do you use?

There's a lot of Replaygain related discussion going on lately, so I was wondering, which mode do people use for listening?

Reply #1
Sometimes I use trackgain, sometimes I use Albumgain.
fb2k 0.9 beta 13.

Reply #2
Both. It mainly depends on listening conditions. Outside, Track mode (through MP3Gain currently) is preferable. It breaks the composition coherence, but I could at least hear something from quiet tracks

Reply #3
I prefer album gain. It helps keep the 'mood flows' of the albums.
--
Eric

Reply #4
I usally use 'Track gain' unless it's an album without any pauses
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #5
Album gain makes much more sense to me.
Acid8000 aka. PhilDEE

Reply #6
I use album gain since I tend to listen to whole albums at a time.
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

Reply #7
Album for album listening; track gain for randomness.

Reply #8
Album gain as I always listen to albums, rather than mixes.

If I make an MP3 CD for the car I apply album gain to all albums so that they are all of the same relative volume, so I can still shuffle the whole disc if I want.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #9
I don't listen to full albums all the time, but I still use album gain.  Some of my metal albulms (In Flames) have acoustics tracks that are too loud if I don't use album gain.
- FLAC/200GB external
- AAC 128 vbr/local
- iPod Nano 2G 8GB

Reply #10
This discussion gave me the idea of impleminting a fast track-album gain switch in foobar2000. Anyone think this is a good idea?

Reply #11
Yes markanini, that's a very good idea.

I constantly switch between them depending on whether I'm listening to a whole album straight through, or playing a mix. I've often thought that a really useful foobar plugin would be one that detects whether the next track is from the same album and adjusts the RG playback setting accordingly.

CJ

Reply #12
Album for album listening; track gain for randomness.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312186"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Very intelligent answer IMO.
I always used album gain. Last week I was listening to random tracks and noticed that one of them was too quiet (everything replaygained). Changed to track gain and voilá.
But most of the time I´d keep using album gain .

Reply #13
Album gain: I always use album gain for listening on the computer, hence the majority of the tracks I have are derived from albums. I absolutely can't stand gapless tracks that all of a sudden change in volume due to not using album gain, it literally drives me bananas. I also use album gain for tracks ripped from the same audio CD when making a backup audio CD.

Track gain: I use track gain only when making an audio CD from tracks ripped from different sources to make them have a similiar volume level so I don't have to fiddle with the speaker volume at all.

Reply #14
I listen with my Squeezebox3 that has a smart-gain setting. When I listen to an Album, it uses album gain, if I mix tracks it uses track gain.

ciao, TommyZ

Reply #15
I usally use 'Track gain' unless it's an album without any pauses

Same here. I voted "Track Gain", but Pink Floyd's on Album Gain.

Reply #16
I always use Album mode. Even on shuffle I prefer it. And in my 'singles' directory where theres every track from a different source every track gets it's own album gain, pardon
flac 1.2.1 -8 (archive) | aoTuVb5.7 -q 4 (pc, s1mp3)

Reply #17
Album mode most of the time, because I normally listen to albums.

On the rare occasion I want to listen to tracks for an extended period, then I'll switch to Track mode.

If I'm creating mixes, then I use Track gain so I don't have to dork with the volume from song to song.

Reply #18
I mostly use Track mode, since I usually randomize my playlist, but I will switch to album mode if I'm listening to an album in track order.

Reply #20
IMO, if a track is quiet in the context of an album it should also be quiet in the context of a random playlist.  For this reason I only use album mode.

I agree completely. It's also based on more data so is statistically more sound. I have found the odd "hidden track" that's 20 dB down, for which I've simply made a manual adjustment of the Album Gain on that track alone.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #21
Sheesh, talk about bring back an old thread....

Anyways, I always use Album gain as I only listen to entire albums and DJ mix sets.
JXL

Reply #22
IMO, if a track is quiet in the context of an album it should also be quiet in the context of a random playlist.  For this reason I only use album mode.

Same here. If the album was loud compared to the rest of the album, let it be loud on a playlist, same for the quiet ones.