Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Trim Flac (Is possible?) (Read 5162 times) previous topic - next topic

Trim Flac (Is possible?)

Hi again  ,

I want to know if there is any tool like MP3Trim that remove the beggining silence and the end silence from a music but To any Lossless Format.

My reasons: Why Lossless and not Mp3

Because i want the highest quality
Because i don't need hardware support, because i record in realtime to My Minidisc
Because i can change without loosing quality.....

BUT

because space is also important...... i really want to know if there is any tool out there, in special for FLAC/APE Or LA.

Thanks for all your time.

Trim Flac (Is possible?)

Reply #1
because space is also important...... i really want to know if there is any tool out there, in special for FLAC/APE Or LA.

On silence lossless compression reaches very high compression ratios,  so you won't save much space by trimming. I don't know a program for this but if a tool like MP3Trim exists for .wav files, it'd be quite easy to trim any lossless format automatically using a batch script that does decode to .wav -> trim -> encode to lossless .
I suggest to try doing it manually first to find out if the space saved is worth the effort.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Trim Flac (Is possible?)

Reply #2
On silence lossless compression reaches very high compression ratios,

AFAIK only on digital silence (which not always can be distinguished from "almost silence")

Batch is probably the way to go ATM.

Trim Flac (Is possible?)

Reply #3
AFAIK you can use the "EAC Options" [F9] > "Extraction" > "Delete leading and trailing silent Blocks" . But i have never used it, no experience made with the effects using this Option.

Trim Flac (Is possible?)

Reply #4
AFAIK only on digital silence (which not always can be distinguished from "almost silence")

Yes.  "almost silence" or "analog silence" often looks like white noise to an encoder, and is almost completely incompressible.

That said, I'll agree with the "go batch, but it may not be worth the time/trouble" sentiment.

Trim Flac (Is possible?)

Reply #5
[deleted]

Trim Flac (Is possible?)

Reply #6
Yes.  "almost silence" or "analog silence" often looks like white noise to an encoder, and is almost completely incompressible.

This is completely wrong.

Take a CD with ~96dB dynamics. Analog silence may be, for example, at -60 dB from digital max.  At this level each sample (if it's truly random) can be coded in about 6 bits.  Thus a compression factor of around 3.

Trim Flac (Is possible?)

Reply #7

This is completely wrong.

Take a CD with ~96dB dynamics. Analog silence may be, for example, at -60 dB from digital max.  At this level each sample (if it's truly random) can be coded in about 6 bits.  Thus a compression factor of around 3.

Absolutely right.

So, you won't save much space by trimming. By if you really want, you can just do it in any editor. There won't be any loss introduced by reencoding

As for special automated tool - it's possible with FLAC, but I haven't heard of one.

-Eugene
The  greatest  programming  project of all took six days;  on the seventh  day  the  programmer  rested.  We've been trying to debug the !@#$%&* thing ever since. Moral: design before you implement.

Trim Flac (Is possible?)

Reply #8
I asked Jason Jordan (author of Shntool) about the possibility of adding such a feature earlier this afternoon. Here's an excerpt from his reply:
I thought about adding that feature a long time ago, but in the end I decided to confine shntool to non-destructive WAVE operations.  But, as it already does zero-padding, why not do the reverse?  Zero-unpadding, if you will.    I suppose I can relax my original restrictions on shntool's scope to only allow the addition or deletion of silence - as long as the audible part of the audio is not affected, things should be peachy, right?

Assuming this does wind up in the next release of Shntool, eliminating the leading/trailing digital silence from an audio file would be possible with any supported lossless codec. Should be an update in the relatively near future.

- M.