Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: List of Tag Fields from Playlist? (Read 3641 times) previous topic - next topic

List of Tag Fields from Playlist?

Is there a way to load a saved playlist into some sort of program and save certain tag information to say a txt file? A good example of this would be maybe wanting to save all the distinct artist tag fields from a playlist into a text file. I've never really come across this, but this would be helpful to me if there was something that would allow me to do it. So...is there a program out there somewhere that can do this and what would you recommend?

Reply #1
I know it's recommended for everything, but what about foobar2000, via its author Peter's own component Text Tools?

Reply #2
I know it's recommended for everything, but what about foobar2000, via its author Peter's own component Text Tools?

Lol right under my nose as always. I've been using foobar for a while so no problem at all. I'll check it out...thanx!

Reply #3
The Text Tools component for foobar was the first thing that jumped to mind, and lo: it is recommended already.

But seriously: generating a custom text list from a playlist with tagged files is exactly what TT does.

Reply #4
Very very nice component. Much more than I expected lol thanks a bunch! Certainly works like a charm.

Reply #5
The only thing I'm not sure how to solve off the top of my head is a situation like this:

Leæther Strip
Leaether Strip
Leæther Strip
Leaether Strip
Leæther Strip
Leaether Strip
Leæther Strip
Leaether Strip
Leæther Strip
Leaether Strip
Leæther Strip
Leaether Strip
Leæther Strip

I have checked the box for "Skip duplicate/repeating lines". Obviously that's still working BUT the issue is when it does the above where the previous entry was certainly different, but then when it comes across it again it will show it on the third line and so on. Might be just a matter of tweaking the Title Formatting Syntax a bit to somehow only get it to do the below instead:

Leæther Strip
Leaether Strip

Just two entries instead XD. Other than that though I really like it. Any help figuring this part out would be appreciated.

Reply #6
Assuming they're the same artist: why are they spelled differently? Why not tag them the same?

Alternatively: sort the playlist so that Leaether Strip and Leæther Strip are grouped beforehand.

Reply #7
Assuming they're the same artist: why are they spelled differently? Why not tag them the same?

Alternatively: sort the playlist so that Leaether Strip and Leæther Strip are grouped beforehand.

To keep things accurate I like to tag things based on what the release itself shows as to the spelling of the artist. Usually it's a compilation that strays from the usual spelling/lettering, but there are also times where say a Leæther Strip release itself strays from the usual and shows it as Leaether Strip instead. It's to keep things true to what release it's from, and to prevent any wrongly assumed "errors" on a release unless it's just completely obvious it is in fact an error. Sometimes assumed errors on a release may possibly be in fact be done on purpose for artistic purposes.

As for the alternate, for whatever reason that's how foobar is sorting it. The same goes for grouping. It appears that it does it that way when it comes across a Leaether Strip song that is off of a various artists compilation, even when I create a custom grouping scheme that only handles the %artist%.