Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: morituri 0.1.0 “Youngblood” released (Read 24942 times) previous topic - next topic

morituri 0.1.0 “Youngblood” released

Source: http://thomas.apestaart.org/log/?p=1040&am...1#comment-57698

Morituri is a cd ripper that aims for quality over speed, offering features similar to Exact Audio Copy on Windows to make as perfect rips as possible.

For more information, see the trac page

The tao Fedora 11 repository has the release and dependencies.

Enjoy!

FEATURES
——–
- support for MusicBrainz for metadata lookup
- support for AccurateRip verification
- detects sample read offset of drives
- performs test and copy rip
- detects and rips Hidden Track One Audio
- templates for file and directory naming
- support for lossless encoding only for now
- tagging using GStreamer
- for now, only a command line client (rip) is shipped

REQUIREMENTS
————
- cdparanoia, for the actual ripping
- cdrdao, for session, TOC, pregap, and ISRC extraction
- GStreamer and its python bindings, for encoding
- python musicbrainz2, for metadata lookup
- pycdio, for drive identification (optional)

Reply #1
Interesting. Keep us updated on its progress.

Reply #2
I'm interested too :-). How does your program compare to rubyripper (the only competitor in this area on Linux, I think)?

Reply #3
Is this the first Linux ripper that has AccurateRip support?
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #4
I'm interested too :-). How does your program compare to rubyripper (the only competitor in this area on Linux, I think)?

Hi ernstblauw,

I tried rubyripper in the past, it didn't really convince me as a replacement for EAC.

Here's some rationale on why I started morituri, after comparing my options (including rubyripper):

Reply #6
Commandline is very suited to Linux..lol!

I'm just starting with Linux this year & it seems all the power in Linux is through the terminal, I don't think Linux users would be too estranged with CLI.

Is there any secure extraction? If not you could implement cd paranoia, no? Would be great to build on it & find a solution for drives that cache audio data, if your programing skills are up for it...

Reply #7

Hi ernstblauw,

I tried rubyripper in the past, it didn't really convince me as a replacement for EAC.

Here's some rationale on why I started morituri, after comparing my options (including rubyripper):

Firefox outputs this:

"This Connection is Untrusted"

Not sure why your using a secure site but there is something wrong with your certificates...

Reply #8
Commandline is very suited to Linux..lol!

I'm just starting with Linux this year & it seems all the power in Linux is through the terminal, I don't think Linux users would be too estranged with CLI.

Is there any secure extraction? If not you could implement cd paranoia, no? Would be great to build on it & find a solution for drives that cache audio data, if your programing skills are up for it...

Hi westgroveg,

Yes, Linux users are used to a CLI.  However, this is just a first release.  You can't tell from the app, but the code is designed to be used from a UI as well (as opposed to a lot of cli tools that get integrated in a GUI only by name).  At some point this will happen.

As for secure extraction, morituri uses cdparanoia, so is as secure as cdparanoia.  On top of that it does checksumming and rerips if necessary, and does AccurateRip.

recent cdparanoia (10.3 I believe) has measures to defeat drive caches, it seems to work well for me.

And as usual, it's not a matter of programming skills, it's a matter of time and not having enough

Reply #9
Hi ernstblauw,

It looks very interesting I will keep it bookmarked. I don't use AccurateRip very often, but I would be willing to give this a test drive. I have never used Fedora so I guess my question is it just for Fedora or can you install it on Debian/Ubuntu as well?
budding I.T professional

Reply #10

Hi ernstblauw,

Firefox outputs this:

"This Connection is Untrusted"

Not sure why your using a secure site but there is something wrong with your certificates...

There's nothing wrong, it's just self-signed with cacert.  Firefox has taken security to a new level of stupidity.

Either accept the certificate (you're only going to read, not write), or remove the s from https, the site is also served over http

Reply #11
Hi ernstblauw,

It looks very interesting I will keep it bookmarked. I don't use AccurateRip very often, but I would be willing to give this a test drive. I have never used Fedora so I guess my question is it just for Fedora or can you install it on Debian/Ubuntu as well?

You can install it on Debian/Ubuntu as well, or even run it completely without installing it.  I'm sure someone will end up making ubuntu packages for it as well.

Reply #12
I've tried it (on Fedora 11) and it works quite well so far.
The cue-sheet creation takes very long though. Does anyone know of a faster method than "cdrdao read-toc"?
EAC on wine is much faster, and its cue sheets are also accurate.

Reply #13
Very nice. I'll be trying it on Backtrack when I get a chance :-)

Reply #14
I've tried it (on Fedora 11) and it works quite well so far.
The cue-sheet creation takes very long though. Does anyone know of a faster method than "cdrdao read-toc"?
EAC on wine is much faster, and its cue sheets are also accurate.

Yes, it takes long.  Right now I don't mind since I use it more-or-less handsoff.  When the basic feature set is in place I will definitely take a look at how I can make this step faster, and look at why EAC has 3 different algorithms to do this.

Reply #15
great news. one step forward a comprehensive linux desktop. thanks and good luck!

Reply #16
It seams great, thought that i have to use eac with wine just to get htoa, but not now. Although I haven't got it to work yet.  I don't have fedora and I'm trying to compile it from source, but with no success. I'm don't know if I'm allowed to ask help in a news post so i better won't.

Reply #17
It seams great, thought that i have to use eac with wine just to get htoa, but not now. Although I haven't got it to work yet.  I don't have fedora and I'm trying to compile it from source, but with no success. I'm don't know if I'm allowed to ask help in a news post so i better won't.

I don't know either what this forum's etiquette is for asking for help.  It sounds fine to me, so feel free to.  Alternatively just file a bug at the home page, or send me a message, and I will sort you out.

Reply #18
Ok here i go. I'll go through step-by-step what i did.

First of all I went through the requirements list and installed everything except pycdio.

svn co https://thomas.apestaart.org/morituri/svn/trunk morituri
Output

cd morituri
./autogen.sh
Output

make
Output

And if i try running it unninstalled:
ln -sf `pwd`/misc/morituri-uninstalled $HOME/bin/morituri-trunk
morituri-trunk
bash: morituri-trunk: käsku ei ole (no such command)
rip
bash: rip: käsku ei ole

What am I doing wrong, do I need to install somethign more, or did I install something wrong, any pointers?

Reply #19
I wonder, what programs will hook up the morituri backend in their gui? SoundJuicer, Rhythmbox? Banshee? It would be great if secure ripping would ship as a standard feature in the GNOME desktop or at least within other popular Linux programs.

"Fast Ripping" is just not the way to go, because if the output is broken, it wasn't even faster to get to the media.

Reply #20
Hmm this looks interesting. May i suggest you open a launchpad account so you can have a PPA?

Using a Personal Package Archive (PPA), you can distribute software and updates directly to Ubuntu users. Create your source package, upload it and Launchpad will build binaries and then host them in your own apt repository.

That means Ubuntu users can install your packages in just the same way they install standard Ubuntu packages and they'll automatically receive updates as and when you make them.

https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA
She is waiting in the air