Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tube amp vs EQ (Read 39539 times) previous topic - next topic

Tube amp vs EQ

Hi,

What are the advantage a tube amp has over an EQ? I'm talking about a tube amp designed to color the sound. I have not seriously EQ'ed my setup. The one time I did was with the Foobar app and I made it sound worse.  I'm talking more specifically about tube amps for headphones.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #1
Hi,

What are the advantage a tube amp has over an EQ? I'm talking about a tube amp designed to color the sound. I have not seriously EQ'ed my setup. The one time I did was with the Foobar app and I made it sound worse.  I'm talking more specifically about tube amps for headphones.

???

Well, for one thing, obviously, you'll have a lot more control and options with 'an EQ'.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #2
What are the advantage a tube amp has over an EQ? I'm talking about a tube amp designed to color the sound. I'm talking more specifically about tube amps for headphones.

Specifically, what is the advantage of a headphone tube amp designed to color the sound?

I give up, what is it?
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #3
What are the advantage a tube amp has over an EQ? I'm talking about a tube amp designed to color the sound. I'm talking more specifically about tube amps for headphones.

Specifically, what is the advantage of a headphone tube amp designed to color the sound?

I give up, what is it?

I'm not sure. 

I was wondering if there was any point in getting a colored amp instead of an EQ. I understand the disadvantages, I wonder if there are any advantages at all.
Is EQ something that's pretty hard to use? Like... dragging a few sliders on Foobar won't cut it kind of deal.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #4
I was wondering if there was any point in getting a colored amp instead of an EQ. I understand the disadvantages, I wonder if there are any advantages at all.
Is EQ something that's pretty hard to use? Like... dragging a few sliders on Foobar won't cut it kind of deal.

They don't really do the same thing.  A tube 'effect' amp might apply a slightly different frequency response than a normal amp, but the difference is mostly about nonlinear effects and distortions, while an EQ is only linear effects.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #5
"Color" can mean anything.  I wouldn't expect it to be related to frequency response/EQ, but who knows.   

Sometimes it means "pleasant sounding distortion".    This is a broad generalization, but tube amps tend clip more softly than solid state amps.  That is when you drive them into distortion,  the waves are rounded-over instead of being chopped-off square like a typical solid state amp.  This is one reason guitar players often prefer tube amps...  They like the way they sound when overdriven.  But guitar players are producing sounds and they are distorting only the guitar.    With sound reproduction, we usually want accuracy instead of added distortion.  And, any distortion in the playback system will be added to all of the vocals & instruments. 

A "high-fidelity" amp should be "faithful" to the original signal.  That is, it shouldn't color or change the signal an any way except to amplify it.

If an amp has color it may have color you like or color you don't like, or maybe you like a pure high-fidelity signal.  If you are thinking about buying an amp with a reputation for color, you should probably listen to the amp to see if you like the particular color or not before buying.

What???

EQ can be used in different ways.    You can use it to alter the sound the way you like...  That's easy...  If you like a lot of bass, crank-up the bass with the EQ.    Some more modern rap & pop recordings have boom-boom one-note bass the I find annoying and I'll turn-down the bass.

Or, it can be used to correct for frequency errors in your speakers or room (or headphones).    That's a little trickier unless you measure the frequency response of the speakers in your room.    But if you feel like the highs are too harsh or something's wrong in the midrange, it's OK to take a stab at it by ear.

Or, it can be to correct recordings.    I find that vinyl from the 60's &  70's is often a little dull on the high-end and I'll sometimes add +3 to +6dB of high frequency boost.    You shouldn't generally need a lot of EQ. 

Even a little digital boost can drive the digital data into clipping/distortion.  So, it's generally best to cut the frequencies that are too strong rather than boost the frequencies that are too weak.    If you are (digitally) boosting by +6dB on all of your recordings, you are probably distorting.    If you boost the bass only on the tracks where it's weak, there is less risk of clipping.

You can also clip your analog amp or overload your speaker with too much boost.  If you are boosting at 30Hz and your speaker only goes down to 50Hz, you are waste a lot of power on stuff you can't hear and you'll probably get distortion.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #6

They don't really do the same thing.  A tube 'effect' amp might apply a slightly different frequency response than a normal amp, but the difference is mostly about nonlinear effects and distortions, while an EQ is only linear effects.

What is a linear effect, and does this justify somebody getting a tube amp if they really want the distortion a tube amp offers?

"Color" can mean anything.  I wouldn't expect it to be related to frequency response/EQ, but who knows.   

Sometimes it means "pleasant sounding distortion".    This is a broad generalization, but tube amps tend clip more softly than solid state amps.  That is when you drive them into distortion,  the waves are rounded-over instead of being chopped-off square like a typical solid state amp.  This is one reason guitar players often prefer tube amps...  They like the way they sound when overdriven.  But guitar players are producing sounds and they are distorting only the guitar.    With sound reproduction, we usually want accuracy instead of added distortion.  And, any distortion in the playback system will be added to all of the vocals & instruments. 

A "high-fidelity" amp should be "faithful" to the original signal.  That is, it shouldn't color or change the signal an any way except to amplify it.

If an amp has color it may have color you like or color you don't like, or maybe you like a pure high-fidelity signal.  If you are thinking about buying an amp with a reputation for color, you should probably listen to the amp to see if you like the particular color or not before buying.

What???

EQ can be used in different ways.    You can use it to alter the sound the way you like...  That's easy...  If you like a lot of bass, crank-up the bass with the EQ.    Some more modern rap & pop recordings have boom-boom one-note bass the I find annoying and I'll turn-down the bass.

Or, it can be used to correct for frequency errors in your speakers or room (or headphones).    That's a little trickier unless you measure the frequency response of the speakers in your room.    But if you feel like the highs are too harsh or something's wrong in the midrange, it's OK to take a stab at it by ear.

Or, it can be to correct recordings.    I find that vinyl from the 60's &  70's is often a little dull on the high-end and I'll sometimes add +3 to +6dB of high frequency boost.    You shouldn't generally need a lot of EQ. 

Even a little digital boost can drive the digital data into clipping/distortion.  So, it's generally best to cut the frequencies that are too strong rather than boost the frequencies that are too weak.    If you are (digitally) boosting by +6dB on all of your recordings, you are probably distorting.    If you boost the bass only on the tracks where it's weak, there is less risk of clipping.

You can also clip your analog amp or overload your speaker with too much boost.  If you are boosting at 30Hz and your speaker only goes down to 50Hz, you are waste a lot of power on stuff you can't hear and you'll probably get distortion.

I'm not buying a tube amp, lol. I'm sticking with my O2. It's still good to know stuff though.
My original attempt at EQing went quite badly. I probably clipped my tracks hardcore and I turned the HD800 into a super thick-sounding headphone. Ew. So, for EQing... increasing the db by too much causes clipping, but are there any negatives for decreasing the db too much in EQ?

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #8
What is a linear effect, and does this justify somebody getting a tube amp if they really want the distortion a tube amp offers?

I think I should let somebody else explain a linear effect, but what a tube amp does that an EQ doesn't do is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion#Harmonic_distortion
It's a question of whether or not one wants accuracy or an effect that they presumably find pleasing. As you know, many people like the way some tube amps change the sound, and the harmonic distortion added is a big part of that. They often say it can make things sound "thicker," "warmer," and other subjectively pleasing adjectives. It could also have a negative effect on some music and a positive effect on other music. Tube amps tend to be on the pricy side though, so you are paying a premium for technically inferior performance. But if someone likes the sound and the price and inaccuracy don't bother them, it's their decision. Same as with vinyl. Obviously, lots of audiophiles make that choice. The objectionable part is when a lot of them will then say that it's actually more accurate than a solid state amp, which is measurably ridiculous.

So, for EQing... increasing the db by too much causes clipping, but are there any negatives for decreasing the db too much in EQ?

Worse signal-to-noise ratio. With foobar, the DSP chain is 32-bit floating point so it's not losing any quality digitally, but you will have to turn your speakers/headphones up higher to compensate for the lower volume which, depending on your system and amount of volume cut, could bring noise into the audible range. Note that the Advanced Limiter DSP could be used to mitigate distortion while EQing as well, so you might not have to turn it down as low as you would otherwise.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #9
Hi,

What are the advantage a tube amp has over an EQ?

I only know of disadvantages.

I'm talking about a tube amp designed to color the sound.

One big problem with using amps to color the sound is that they are not adjustable to the needs of the situation at hand. They are a fixed-adjusted prepackaged solution in a world that often cries out for and can easily receive well-tuned custom solutions.

I have not seriously EQ'ed my setup.

That would be a serious strategic mistake. Properly-applied eq customized to the sitaution at hand can pay off, big time!

The one time I did was with the Foobar app and I made it sound worse.

That is your fault. Just goes to show that good tools can't make a good mechanic out of an inexperienced amateur. 

For your typical inexperienced and untrained audiophile to try to equalize his system by ear is like buying a set of Craftsman wrenches and hoping to immediately fix the electronic engine controls on your new car.

For openers, most audiophiles at best can only know that they don't like how their audio system sounds. Most wouldn't know a good sounding system if it bit them in the earlobes and drew blood. How many know what real voices and musical instruments even sound like? How many know which recordings portray voices and instruments in a recognizable way?

I'm talking more specifically about tube amps for headphones.

First, learn how to listen.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #10

There are two kinds of distortion; Linear distortion and nonlinear distortion.  There are a grand total of three distinctly different kinds of bad things that happen to audio.

The three bad things are the two kinds of distortion plus irrelevant noises. Hiss and hum are two common examples of irrelevant noises that end up in audio signals.

Linear distortion is distortion that changes the relationship between the sounds that make up the music, either timing or relative strength or loudness, but does not add any new sounds.

A good equalizer only adds linear distortion.

Nonlinear distortion is distortion that adds new sounds. As a consequence nonlinear distortion may also change the relationships between the sounds that make up the music.

The sources of these three kinds of bad things are at their core different and distinct from each other, so categorizing them this way can help with the process of correcting them.

All known audible bad things that happen to audio signals fit into the three categories above. There can not and are not any others. Anybody who says otherwise is talking trash or showing off their ignorance.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #11
I was wondering if there was any point in getting a colored amp instead of an EQ.

Only you could answer that definitively. Many possibilities. SFX boxes (with tubes) can impart colorations that are dynamic in nature, not just FR tailoring, which is what you get with EQ.
Btw, "tubes" do not automatically impart coloration. They can be incorporated into a design to do just so, whether by intent (Engineering), or happenstance (Audiophile "Engineering").

I understand the disadvantages, I wonder if there are any advantages at all.

If you like maple syrup on your waffles...and steaks, salads, potatoes, etc, then sure, it could be an advantage.

No. But I would question what it is you are EQing? The headphones, or each track?

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #12
What are the advantage a tube amp has over an EQ?

I give up, what is it?

Pretty lights that glow in  the dark. Why is an open fire nicer than a central-heating radiator? Never underestimate visual appeal, especially when it has elements of actual warmth.

I use EQ to compensate for some high-level hearing loss. I can just about get back some of those high tinkly bits. Is it hard? Well, I wouldn't last long in a recording-studio control room, but to achieve basic tone control is not so difficult, not is it hard to find and accentuate vocals, for instance, if that is what you want to do. In piano terms, I'm a guy picking out a basic melody with one finger.

My experience so far is that one starts making huge corrections all over the place, and after a while find oneself using just two or three sliders and moving them less. It also doesn't take too long to learn how to do stuff like cutting out a buzz at AC frequency in some ancient recording you really want to hear.

It's so much easier in software. You can just change stuff and see the result as you hear it.

Engineers can put numbers to notes, which is how they know which slider to move. We all have to start somewhere: This Interactive Frequency Guide is a good place.
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #13
Here's some things that tube amps do:

1) higher output impedance causes peaks in the frequency response where there are peaks in the headphone's impedance curve
2) non-flat frequency response (there might be a slight boost in the highs, a few dB roll-off at 20 kHz, 20 Hz)
=> reproducible with EQ

3) overall higher harmonic distortion (0.x% to over 1%) across the audible range
4) rising distortion toward the low end (can easily be 2% at 20 Hz), sometimes also at the high end
=> roughly reproducible with exciter plugin

5) some tube amps exhibit a low SNR
=> add some noise to your tracks (EQ the noise to have peaks at 50/60, 100/120 Hz ... and maybe rise towards the high end)

--

To really accurately reproduce the experience we'd need detailed measurements of the amp and load (headphones, speakers ..).
"I hear it when I see it."

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #14
I'm not buying a tube amp, lol. I'm sticking with my O2.
Good!  IMO it's silly to use 1950s technology.    With modern electronics it's cheap and easy to build a good amp.  Tube designs are more expensive, it's more difficult to build a good (accurate) tube amp.  And, they are not energy efficient.

It gets very expensive to build tube power amps.    You can get a good solid state amp for less than 50 cents per watt, and it's not hard to find pro/PA amps rated at 1000W or more.    Tube power amps are usually lower power and much more expensive.  You'll generally spend many dollars per watt.      You can get very good audio performance with tubes if you put-in the engineering and the money, but why bother?

With ICs I could build a headphone amp with low distortion, low noise, and flat frequency response from zero Hz to over 100kHz or more and I could be pretty sure of good specs/performance without even testing & tweaking it.   

My original attempt at EQing went quite badly.
Well...  It's easier to break stuff with a hammer than it is to build stuff with a hammer! 

But, an EQ isn't hard to use.  Just move the sliders and listen to the results.  If it makes an improvement, good.  If it makes it worse, put it back to where it was.  If it sounds better with the EQ set to flat, great you don't need any EQ!!! 

It only gets tricky if you are using the EQ to get more accurate sound.  In that case, you need to know exactly what's wrong before you can fix it.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #15
I think I should let somebody else explain a linear effect, but what a tube amp does that an EQ doesn't do is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion#Harmonic_distortion
It's a question of whether or not one wants accuracy or an effect that they presumably find pleasing. As you know, many people like the way some tube amps change the sound, and the harmonic distortion added is a big part of that. They often say it can make things sound "thicker," "warmer," and other subjectively pleasing adjectives. It could also have a negative effect on some music and a positive effect on other music. Tube amps tend to be on the pricy side though, so you are paying a premium for technically inferior performance. But if someone likes the sound and the price and inaccuracy don't bother them, it's their decision. Same as with vinyl. Obviously, lots of audiophiles make that choice. The objectionable part is when a lot of them will then say that it's actually more accurate than a solid state amp, which is measurably ridiculous.

Worse signal-to-noise ratio. With foobar, the DSP chain is 32-bit floating point so it's not losing any quality digitally, but you will have to turn your speakers/headphones up higher to compensate for the lower volume which, depending on your system and amount of volume cut, could bring noise into the audible range. Note that the Advanced Limiter DSP could be used to mitigate distortion while EQing as well, so you might not have to turn it down as low as you would otherwise.

The reason I started this thread was because I have a friend who bought a tube amp... to color the sound. And of course, I brought up EQ - but also of course, I have not played with EQ enough to really know anything. 

One big problem with using amps to color the sound is that they are not adjustable to the needs of the situation at hand. They are a fixed-adjusted prepackaged solution in a world that often cries out for and can easily receive well-tuned custom solutions.

The one time I did was with the Foobar app and I made it sound worse.

That is your fault. Just goes to show that good tools can't make a good mechanic out of an inexperienced amateur. 

For your typical inexperienced and untrained audiophile to try to equalize his system by ear is like buying a set of Craftsman wrenches and hoping to immediately fix the electronic engine controls on your new car.

For openers, most audiophiles at best can only know that they don't like how their audio system sounds. Most wouldn't know a good sounding system if it bit them in the earlobes and drew blood. How many know what real voices and musical instruments even sound like? How many know which recordings portray voices and instruments in a recognizable way?

I'm talking more specifically about tube amps for headphones.

First, learn how to listen.

Can you stop going off on me? If you'd learn how to listen you'd know I'm not the on looking for a tube amp. Your attitude only gets people frustrated and then to leave. It doesn't help anybody. I know the disadvantages of tube amps, I'm asking for advantages - and if you don't know any, your post should have probably ended right there.

There are two kinds of distortion; Linear distortion and nonlinear distortion.  There are a grand total of three distinctly different kinds of bad things that happen to audio.

The three bad things are the two kinds of distortion plus irrelevant noises. Hiss and hum are two common examples of irrelevant noises that end up in audio signals.

Linear distortion is distortion that changes the relationship between the sounds that make up the music, either timing or relative strength or loudness, but does not add any new sounds.

A good equalizer only adds linear distortion.

Nonlinear distortion is distortion that adds new sounds. As a consequence nonlinear distortion may also change the relationships between the sounds that make up the music.

But, it is possible to argue that a tube amp makes sense for somebody who wants those new sounds? If EQ could do everything (sound-wise) a tube amp could do and then more, then there's really no justification for a tube amp for sound no matter who's opinion it is.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #16
Only you could answer that definitively. Many possibilities. SFX boxes (with tubes) can impart colorations that are dynamic in nature, not just FR tailoring, which is what you get with EQ.
Btw, "tubes" do not automatically impart coloration. They can be incorporated into a design to do just so, whether by intent (Engineering), or happenstance (Audiophile "Engineering").

I understand the disadvantages, I wonder if there are any advantages at all.

If you like maple syrup on your waffles...and steaks, salads, potatoes, etc, then sure, it could be an advantage.

No. But I would question what it is you are EQing? The headphones, or each track?

cheers,

AJ

Well, I think it's even harder to justify getting a neutral tube. Because what's the point? O2 is already "neutral". Maybe a person wants a higher output impedance to change their sound? I think it comes down to whether the distortions caused by tube amps can be accurately reproduced in software using accurate hardware.
The main justification I can see for getting a tube amp is somebody who actually is looking for syrup on all their food, but a nonlinearly-distorted syrup which EQ might not be able to offer? (Despite the drawbacks, I understand the drawbacks.)

Hmmm, which is it, should I be EQing the headphones or each track? I just listen to a track and think about what might make it sound better. The original attempt by me was crude, I don't deny that. I also didn't think of dragging most of the sliders down a bit to prevent clipping.

I use EQ to compensate for some high-level hearing loss. I can just about get back some of those high tinkly bits. Is it hard? Well, I wouldn't last long in a recording-studio control room, but to achieve basic tone control is not so difficult, not is it hard to find and accentuate vocals, for instance, if that is what you want to do. In piano terms, I'm a guy picking out a basic melody with one finger.

My experience so far is that one starts making huge corrections all over the place, and after a while find oneself using just two or three sliders and moving them less. It also doesn't take too long to learn how to do stuff like cutting out a buzz at AC frequency in some ancient recording you really want to hear.
It's so much easier in software. You can just change stuff and see the result as you hear it.

Engineers can put numbers to notes, which is how they know which slider to move. We all have to start somewhere: This Interactive Frequency Guide is a good place.

Hmmmm, ok. Sounds interesting.

1) higher output impedance causes peaks in the frequency response where there are peaks in the headphone's impedance curve
2) non-flat frequency response (there might be a slight boost in the highs, a few dB roll-off at 20 kHz, 20 Hz)
=> reproducible with EQ

3) overall higher harmonic distortion (0.x% to over 1%) across the audible range
4) rising distortion toward the low end (can easily be 2% at 20 Hz), sometimes also at the high end
=> roughly reproducible with exciter plugin

5) some tube amps exhibit a low SNR
=> add some noise to your tracks (EQ the noise to have peaks at 50/60, 100/120 Hz ... and maybe rise towards the high end)

--

To really accurately reproduce the experience we'd need detailed measurements of the amp and load (headphones, speakers ..).

Then... as I've asked to others before... is it possible for somebody to not care about the price of a tube amp, want the distortion of a tube amp, and not want to do all that to try to add in EQ? Given their set of opinions... tube amps could make sense?
Few people can obtain accurate, detailed measurements on their amp and load.

My original attempt at EQing went quite badly.
Well...  It's easier to break stuff with a hammer than it is to build stuff with a hammer! 

But, an EQ isn't hard to use.  Just move the sliders and listen to the results.  If it makes an improvement, good.  If it makes it worse, put it back to where it was.  If it sounds better with the EQ set to flat, great you don't need any EQ!!! 

It only gets tricky if you are using the EQ to get more accurate sound.  In that case, you need to know exactly what's wrong before you can fix it.

I'll break a few things with my new hammer, including my fingers. 
I get a kick out of knowing my headphone system sounds more accurate - even if I might not like true accurate sound as much (note the if in the sentence, I don't know that's the case, I'm just saying that might be the case). That's one reason I didn't seriously look at tube amps at all.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #17
I get a kick out of knowing my headphone system sounds more accurate -
You have HD800's, right?    Those should be very accurate without EQ.  It's OK to use a little EQ to adjust to your taste or to adjust some less-than-perfect recordings, but you shouldn't need a lot of EQ unless you like tons of bass or something like that.

Headphones are somewhat difficult to measure because of the way the headphone interacts with the ear, but there is some agreement about what makes a good headphone.  There was a thread about that awhile back, but I couldn't find it.

You really can't measure your headphones "at home" the way you can measure a room & speakers.       

Once you get above maybe $200 or $300 you can get some very good headphones and you might prefer the $200 headphone a $500 or more headphone.    You can get to a point where you can't say that one headphone is better than another and it just becomes a matter of taste & preference.  I'm not saying that all $200 or $300 headphones are that good, but some are.

Hmmm, which is it, should I be EQing the headphones or each track?
It depends on what problem you are trying to solve...  If you find yourself EQing most of your tracks it's probably not the music/recordings (unless you are listening to a bunch of old recordings).  Your headphones may "need" some adjustment or maybe you'd prefer headphones with a different sound.

Or, maybe there's nothing "wrong" and it's just your taste and you like a little "extra" bass, or a little brighter sound, or a slightly "smoothed-off" high end, etc.

If you find that 20 percent or so of your recordings can use some improvement, then you can EQ the individual tracks as needed.    These could be older or poorly-produced recordings, or perhaps the producer (or mixing/mastering engineer) just has a different concept of what "sounds good".    If 80 percent of your recordings sound best with no EQ, I guess there's nothing wrong with your setup!

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #18
I get a kick out of knowing my headphone system sounds more accurate -
You have HD800's, right?    Those should be very accurate without EQ.  It's OK to use a little EQ to adjust to your taste or to adjust some less-than-perfect recordings, but you shouldn't need a lot of EQ unless you like tons of bass or something like that.

Headphones are somewhat difficult to measure because of the way the headphone interacts with the ear, but there is some agreement about what makes a good headphone.  There was a thread about that awhile back, but I couldn't find it.

You really can't measure your headphones "at home" the way you can measure a room & speakers.       

Once you get above maybe $200 or $300 you can get some very good headphones and you might prefer the $200 headphone a $500 or more headphone.    You can get to a point where you can't say that one headphone is better than another and it just becomes a matter of taste & preference.  I'm not saying that all $200 or $300 headphones are that good, but some are.

Hmmm, which is it, should I be EQing the headphones or each track?
It depends on what problem you are trying to solve...  If you find yourself EQing most of your tracks it's probably not the music/recordings (unless you are listening to a bunch of old recordings).  Your headphones may "need" some adjustment or maybe you'd prefer headphones with a different sound.

Or, maybe there's nothing "wrong" and it's just your taste and you like a little "extra" bass, or a little brighter sound, or a slightly "smoothed-off" high end, etc.

If you find that 20 percent or so of your recordings can use some improvement, then you can EQ the individual tracks as needed.    These could be older or poorly-produced recordings, or perhaps the producer (or mixing/mastering engineer) just has a different concept of what "sounds good".    If 80 percent of your recordings sound best with no EQ, I guess there's nothing wrong with your setup!

I don't want more bass on my HD800s. On some select tracks, I think the brightness of the song itself on top of the brightness of the HD800s can get a little much.  So... I'm guessing there's a way to load EQ presets per song on Foobar? Do people use the EQ sliders that go with Foobar or is that no good? I saw some people trying electric-Q, which has some sort of graph which is used for EQ. 

Anyways, about the tube amp preference some people have... Some preferences are grounded in reality, some are not. An example of one that is not is clinging onto FLAC because it sounds better than Mp3 when you constantly fail to abx them. Then in that case, it's not really subjected to opinion. On the other hand, a person who is willing to take all of the disadvantages of a tube amp to try to get a non-linearly distorted sound which is hard to get with EQ sounds ridiculous (and is ridiculous for most people), one could argue that it makes sense for that person because 'personal opinion'.

However, if EQ could do everything a tube-amp could do (sound-wise), there would be zero justification to getting a tube amp for sound because it can be done via EQ. So if that were the case, the distortion a person wants from a tube amp is no longer a valid reason for buying a tube amp.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #19
Hey, people are free to believe whatever they want. I'm usually just pointing out that their comparisons are highly biased*, but if a headphone tube amp makes them happy and they don't care about EQ, exciter/tube amp simulation plugins ... then go for it!

I prefer accurate reproduction, because that is what high fidelity is about, but everyone has different preferences. It's not like tube amps absolutely destroy sound quality, but they can have a clearly audible effect on it.

*) a huge problem in audio

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #20
Hey, people are free to believe whatever they want. I'm usually just pointing out that their comparisons are highly biased*, but if a headphone tube amp makes them happy and they don't care about EQ, exciter/tube amp simulation plugins ... then go for it!

I prefer accurate reproduction, because that is what high fidelity is about, but everyone has different preferences. It's not like tube amps absolutely destroy sound quality, but they can have a clearly audible effect on it.

*) a huge problem in audio

For me it depends on the preference... if their preference includes denial of reality (eg: I can tell 24bit FLAC from 320kbps MP3, tube amps are naturally more accurate than solid state, etc), then it's totally stupid. Then there are crazy preferences that don't involve denial of reality (eg: I like my steaks well-done, I like the Nvidia GTX Titan and I buy it because it has a cool name, I buy tube amps because the glow is cute). It's crazy but it doesn't annoy me.

Obviously even if EQ can do everything sound-wise a tube amp can do, a person can still say that they don't want to use EQ and they'd rather just buy a tube amp. Kindda nutty, but ok. But there will come a day where a person claims that EQ cannot do what their tube amp does (sound-wise). That's when I ask myself whether that is a valid reason or not.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #21
Well of course I also object to factually wrong statements.

I don't think an EQ alone can do what a tube amp does. Then again, different tube amps may perform completely differently:
there are tube amps with low output impedance, distortion ... the "good" tube amps if you will,
there are also tube amps with high output impedance but low-ish distortion ...
and then there are tube amps that have high output impedance, high distortion, wonky frequency response ...

But hearing differences can be as simple as ignoring, for example, that the tube amp has much higher gain and therefore sounds louder => better. As I said bias is a huge problem.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #22
Then... as I've asked to others before... is it possible for somebody to not care about the price of a tube amp, want the distortion of a tube amp, and not want to do all that to try to add in EQ? Given their set of opinions... tube amps could make sense?
Few people can obtain accurate, detailed measurements on their amp and load.

These are questions of personal preference and psychology. You would have to ask the "somebody," and you'd still be left wondering if what they tell you actually matches what is happening in their head. 
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #23
Can you stop going off on me?

Can you stop being so defensive? Can you not instantly take a discussion of a general problem as a personal attack?

Right now I feel like a doctor who gets accused of bad medicine for diagnosing a problem in common day language.

Tube amp vs EQ

Reply #24
I don't think an EQ alone can do what a tube amp does. Then again, different tube amps may perform completely differently:
there are tube amps with low output impedance, distortion ... the "good" tube amps if you will,
there are also tube amps with high output impedance but low-ish distortion ...
and then there are tube amps that have high output impedance, high distortion, wonky frequency response ...

But hearing differences can be as simple as ignoring, for example, that the tube amp has much higher gain and therefore sounds louder => better. As I said bias is a huge problem.

After studying the situation for a number of years and listening to a goodly number of modern tubed amps. I think that the role of tube amp nonlinear distortion is generally overplayed.

At typical listening levels that probably peak around 95 dB SPL with average or high efficiency speakers most tube amps, even the bad ones with SETs and low NFB are really pretty much free of audible nonlinear distortion.

This is partially because of the relatively high thresholds for audible nonlinear distortion.  Nonlinear distortion below 0.1% is generally inaudible, and far high levels such as 3% or even 10% might escape detection by the ear.

It is also because while building a SOTA THD analyzer with tubes is going to be very frustrating, getting THD & IM below 0.1% in a tubed amp at power levels below a few watts isn't that uncommon.

The linear distortion due to these amps providing a high source impedance is most likely what people hear most often. For one thing, it is about the same at any listening level, high or low.

The amp's most audible characteristic is thus a randomly-chosen equalization effect mostly dependent on the impedance curves of the loudspeakers being used.

The intended market for these devices is thus largely dilettantes who are just looking for a different sound from what they currently have, accuracy irrelevant.

Two words: Sighted evaluations.