Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nine Inch Nails Download latest album (Read 155560 times) previous topic - next topic

Nine Inch Nails Download latest album

Reply #125
I have re-re-downloaded the old (bad) 24bits from an unofficial link in order to compare checksums:

Old Bad Raw WAV (24Bits):
a3a467df4e14f37c0e5b0ebe68968bbd *01 999,999.wav

Conclusion:
the good news is that the 2 new releases are really new ...
the bad news is that the new FLAC files are obviously not compressed from the WAV ...

Does that affect quality ? I don't know I am not skilled enough ... but I just wanted to point it to the expert out there.

Reply #126
You get different checksums because of differences in the WAV container. The audio is the same, as evident by the checksums of only the audio content:
Code: [Select]
MD5                                     Filename

C481AAC34492D32C0A1E6D1FDE3E5402        C:\Nine Inch Nails - The Slip - Wave 96-24 High Res\01 999,999.wav
C481AAC34492D32C0A1E6D1FDE3E5402        C:\Nine_Inch_Nails_-_The_Slip_24-96k_Flac\01 999,999.flac

Reply #127
I have checked the audio data only by myself using metaflac.exe & I get the same exact checksum now
You were right, thks a lot verbajim

Reply #128
You get different checksums because of differences in the WAV container. The audio is the same, as evident by the checksums of only the audio content:
MD5                                     Filename

C481AAC34492D32C0A1E6D1FDE3E5402        C:\Nine Inch Nails - The Slip - Wave 96-24 High Res\01 999,999.wav
C481AAC34492D32C0A1E6D1FDE3E5402        C:\Nine_Inch_Nails_-_The_Slip_24-96k_Flac\01 999,999.flac

This is what I was waiting to hear! //dives head first to NIN//
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(

Reply #129
Presumably, --keep-foreign-metadata was not used?

02-1000000.jpg is still actually a PSD.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #130
Too bad that you need another email address to get the official torrents again, but I've gotten past that already. This is where people start complaining about "HA server being laggy" again
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #131
Too bad that you need another email address to get the official torrents again, but I've gotten past that already. This is where people start complaining about "HA server being laggy" again

another? ive used the same email address to download them 3 times......

Reply #132
Awesome news! Thanks Trent and co.  Best do some downloading this evening and see you guys again when you come to the UK!

Reply #133
Quoting the download page:
We're sorry, this download token is expired. Please register with a different email if you wish to download another copy of the album.
You can probably download the album again and again using the torrent files that you grabbed when visiting the download page, but not open the download page later without re-registering. Not a real problem to me, just nitpicking.

Reply #134
Quoting the download page:
We're sorry, this download token is expired. Please register with a different email if you wish to download another copy of the album.
You can probably download the album again and again using the torrent files that you grabbed when visiting the download page, but not open the download page later without re-registering. Not a real problem to me, just nitpicking.

oh, thats odd.  no, i used the same adress every time. first was on the day of release, then again a few days ago to see if the 'new' album had the fixed 24/96 tracks (it didnt it just had jpeg album art) and then again yesterday once the fixed tracks were up

Reply #135
You can't reuse a token you got before if you used it already but you can just enter the same email address as before and get a new token.  At least that's how it worked for me.

Reply #136
Nevermind, seems I did something wrong, registered successfully using the same address now, thanks for the quick replies.

Reply #137
Gents-
Thanks for the heads up regarding this matter.  The corrected files are now posted on our site and if you re-download them they will be the correct ones.
What happened?  We mastered this on Friday (5/2) and released it Sunday night.  The files went right from mastering to the server without the proper scrutiny (aside from a cursory listen for errors).  The last two songs were different because they were redone due to an audible error we did find.
Bottom line:  some sort of mastering shenanigans took place.
In addition, there are now 24/96 FLAC files as well as wave files.

Trent Reznor

Amazing.  Thank you so much Mr. Reznor!  NIN has been my favorite band/music project for a long time now, and it's great to see how much you care about your fans and it's great to be a fan of an artist who is even more of an audiophile than I am!  And even more one who cares so much about his fans.  Thank you again!
-Stephen

PS The album is great!  I love Ghosts too!
PPS Any chance of getting 5.1 releases of this and/or future albums, as well as (fingers crossed for The Fragile) past albums (besides With Teeth and TDS)?  I know there are at least a few of us who'd LOVE them, and would be happy to pay for 'em.  But I also understand we're in the minority, and that legal issues with your former label could make that difficult to do.

Reply #138
PS The album is great!  I love Ghosts too!
PPS Any chance of getting 5.1 releases of this and/or future albums, as well as (fingers crossed for The Fragile) past albums (besides With Teeth and TDS)?  I know there are at least a few of us who'd LOVE them, and would be happy to pay for 'em.  But I also understand we're in the minority, and that legal issues with your former label could make that difficult to do.

its great to have these 24/96 in flac though, there would be too many hoops for me to do it by myself worrying about a bad or incorrect encode. when flac is taken from the masters you also dont have to worry about CD rip issues, i have to wonder whether all the coil, squarepusher, autechre and vibert flacs i've bought were sourced from CDs incorrectly ripped. its very nice to have this kind of assurance though!

Moderation: TOS #9 violation removed.  Consider yourself lucky you didn't get a suspension or worse.

Reply #139
To reiterate Synthetic Soul's direction:
Discussion regarding the artistic merits of The Slip moved to Nine Inch Nails' The Slip: Your Thoughts, in General Music Discussion.

Let's keep this thread for discussion on the technical aspects of the release (audio formats, distribution philosophy, etc.).

Reply #140
Many thanks for the free download, it's much appreciated! Below are lossless FLAC and lossyFLAC bitrates for both versions (using lossyWAV beta 1.0.1b, -q 10):
                                                  +----------------------+----------------------+
                                                  |    24 bit / 96khz    |   16 bit / 44.1khz   |
+-------------------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| File                                            | lossless | lossyFLAC | lossless | lossyFLAC |
+-------------------------------------------------+----------+-----------+----------+-----------+
| 01 - Nine Inch Nails - 999,999                  | 2539kbps | 1049kbps  |  541kbps |  498kbps  |
| 02 - Nine Inch Nails - 1,000,000                | 3462kbps |  919kbps  | 1058kbps |  605kbps  |
| 03 - Nine Inch Nails - Letting You              | 3338kbps |  844kbps  | 1075kbps |  628kbps  |
| 04 - Nine Inch Nails - Discipline               | 3290kbps |  858kbps  | 1044kbps |  627kbps  |
| 05 - Nine Inch Nails - Echoplex                 | 2858kbps |  878kbps  |  805kbps |  644kbps  |
| 06 - Nine Inch Nails - Head Down                | 2902kbps |  842kbps  |  824kbps |  619kbps  |
| 07 - Nine Inch Nails - Lights in the Sky        | 2363kbps | 1154kbps  |  411kbps |  412kbps  |
| 08 - Nine Inch Nails - Corona Radiata           | 2467kbps | 1028kbps  |  485kbps |  493kbps  |
| 09 - Nine Inch Nails - The Four of Us are Dying | 2813kbps |  997kbps  |  713kbps |  634kbps  |
| 10 - Nine Inch Nails - Demon Seed               | 3457kbps | 1096kbps  | 1024kbps |  656kbps  |
+-------------------------------------------------+----------+-----------+----------+-----------+
| Average                                         | 2947kbps |  963kbps  |  797kbps |  586kbps  |
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #141

I got the FLACs from archive.org today and wonder if there's something wrong with these files, because audio identifier can't read them:

Do they play normally?

Yes, they do. And foobar can read all the data.

Is that possible that audio identifier can't handle their embedded album art? (I love this feature in these digital NIN releases: I got wonderful slide shows with their albums )

That's a possibility. I didn't even know that there is album art embedded.

Does anybody else have this problem?

foobar seems to have no difficulty identifying track length, bit rate and so forth. I'll take a look at the nin.com FLACs in Audio Identifier later today to see if it has any difficulties.

I don't recall having any issues with AI reading FLACs with embedded album art before, so this may actually be something else (or just an AI glitch).

Thanx!

Reply #142
PPS Any chance of getting 5.1 releases of this and/or future albums, as well as (fingers crossed for The Fragile) past albums (besides With Teeth and TDS)?

There are 5.1 mixes created by a guy named "Demo" for Year Zero, Ghosts I-IV and The Slip. Search echoing the sound for those.

Reply #144

There are 5.1 mixes created by a guy named "Demo" for Year Zero, Ghosts I-IV and The Slip. Search echoing the sound for those.

Interesting.  I'll have to check those out.

Do check them out.  They are not simply upmixes, but are rather constructed from the multi-tracks released at http://remix.nin.com.  They aren't "official" NIN surround remixes such as are available for The Downward Spiral or With Teeth, but they are pretty good.

Of course, you can always download the multitracks (free!) and make your own surround mix.  Be sure to share it if you do!

Reply #145
Downloaded the updated 24/96 tracks and did Foobar2000 ABX on track 4, Discipline between 24/96 and 16/44 FLACs.  Using a Gateway NX570 laptop w/24bit/96kHz capable Sigma audio chip and Sennheiser HD580 headphones, matched levels w/ReplayGain.  Need to double check settings to make sure Vista wasn't resampling, etc.

I scored an (un)impressive 5/10 (!?) - thought I heard things but the facts prove otherwise.

foo_abx 1.3.3 report
foobar2000 v0.9.5.2
2008/05/18 13:17:11

File A: C:\Users\Nine Inch Nails - The Slip - Flac\04 Discipline.flac
File B: C:\Users\Nine_Inch_Nails_-_The_Slip_24-96k_Flac\04 Discipline.flac

13:17:11 : Test started.
13:18:14 : 00/01  100.0%
13:20:16 : 01/02  75.0%
13:21:03 : 01/03  87.5%
13:22:19 : 01/04  93.8%
13:23:32 : 02/05  81.3%
13:24:29 : 03/06  65.6%
13:24:52 : 04/07  50.0%
13:25:33 : 05/08  36.3%
13:26:24 : 05/09  50.0%
13:27:37 : 05/10  62.3%
13:32:15 : Test finished.

----------
Total: 5/10 (62.3%)
Was that a 1 or a 0?

Reply #146
Just for fun I downloaded this album in 24/96 WAVS and converted to WavPack lossy at 1024 kbps (normal mode, -x4). I ran a spectrum analysis of two 5-second clips comparing the original source and the quantization noise added by the lossy encoding.

The first was at a very loud section (centered around 4:00 in track 10):

Reply #147
Did anyone else notice that in the new 24/96 FLAC files the song "The Four of Us are Dying" is actually tagged "The Four of Us are Dyng"?

I love the album, but misnamed and mistagged files are no brainers

Reply #148
You're bitching about a single typo in a tag of a free album?

Reply #149
Well there's nothing else to bitch about!