Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_discogs (Read 1341598 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_discogs

Reply #150
v0.31 released featuring incremental search in release list, custominfo fixes, improved "update tags".

foo_discogs

Reply #151
Perfect  just perfect!! great work

But there are still a few bugs to work out. sometimes when there are multiple artist under a name and you click the other name there are no releases? and the album cover download processbar still stays on the screen sometimes but less than before

foo_discogs

Reply #152
Disgogs must be the best music library around, and it is great to have it intregrated in foobar.
Keep up the good work!

foo_discogs

Reply #153
Thank you for this great plugin, it almost makes you my personal hero. :-)

Btw... could you please add "gdiplus.dll" to the dependencies? It isn't that obvious that it is a needed dll, and it seems to refuse to work without it. Thanks!

And... a few feature suggestions:

- An addition to the "Write Tags" dialogue: a multiselect field with all available tags, so you can select which fields to tag. (OK, this might be not very important, but is a nice-to-have IMHO.)

- Caching of the information you fetched from discogs e.g. in a local sqlite DB or something similar. Usage scenarios: prefetch content into DB manually (if you have no network connection on the machine you want to tag things), speed up album searching (cache list of releases by an artist and maybe add a "refresh" button), etc.

- Include the "Credits:" line for various artists albums. Ideal would be to have the fields DISCOGS_CREDITS (with the artist who mixed the CD etc, e.g. "Ravin" at buddha bar 6) and DISCOGS_CREDITS_CATEGORY (e.g. DJ Mix, Executive Producer, ... - whatever there is in the string before the dash.)

EDIT: cleared up the list a bit. ;-)

foo_discogs

Reply #154
A little bug I noticed in 0.31...
... "Discogs -> Write Tags" doesn't work (it doesn't write any tags), however "Discogs -> Update Tags" does work. Any idea what could cause this?

Thanks!

(I'm just manually filling in the "DISCOGS_RELEASE_ID" field and then use update tags as a workaround, but... I'm hoping for a 0.32 release with this bug fixed. ;-) )

EDIT: I'm using foobar2000 v0.9.4.2.

foo_discogs

Reply #155

But there are still a few bugs to work out. sometimes when there are multiple artist under a name and you click the other name there are no releases? and the album cover download processbar still stays on the screen sometimes but less than before

The empty release list for some artists is not a bug: I only display "releases" and "dj mixes" sections of the relevant web pages, not displaying other categories such as "appears on", "remixes", "production" etc whose listed releases always have a different artist name than the one you search for.
However I see it could be some use to list them and now there's the filter box, I may add them to the release list. For now, if an artist doesn't have releases listed in the panel, it is that they don't have anything as "Releases" or "DJ MIxes".

For the progress bar stuck i've not seen it myself but sometimes receiving data from discogs.com can be slow or stall. The plugin should detect it under 1min and display a error message box if it's the case.
Soon I'll tag a good part of my colection so maybe I'll see the pbm.

Thank you for this great plugin, it almost makes you my personal hero. :-)

Btw... could you please add "gdiplus.dll" to the dependencies? It isn't that obvious that it is a needed dll, and it seems to refuse to work without it. Thanks!

Sure it's a dependency, it comes standard with XP I believe , not sure of other version of Windows. foo_uie_albumart use it too.

And... a few feature suggestions:

- An addition to the "Write Tags" dialogue: a multiselect field with all available tags, so you can select which fields to tag. (OK, this might be not very important, but is a nice-to-have IMHO.)

That's what the tag mapping dialog is for, provided you don't change the config too often (ie for every two releases)

- Caching of the information you fetched from discogs e.g. in a local sqlite DB or something similar. Usage scenarios: prefetch content into DB manually (if you have no network connection on the machine you want to tag things), speed up album searching (cache list of releases by an artist and maybe add a "refresh" button), etc.

I'd rather support fetching discogs data from local DB dump, when (if) they release such a dump.

- Include the "Credits:" line for various artists albums. Ideal would be to have the fields DISCOGS_CREDITS (with the artist who mixed the CD etc, e.g. "Ravin" at buddha bar 6) and DISCOGS_CREDITS_CATEGORY (e.g. DJ Mix, Executive Producer, ... - whatever there is in the string before the dash.)

Sounds reasonable.

foo_discogs

Reply #156
... "Discogs -> Write Tags" doesn't work (it doesn't write any tags), however "Discogs -> Update Tags" does work. Any idea what could cause this?

Thanks!

Very strange...can you always reproduce it ? I'm using 0.9.4.1 myself so I'll have to try with 0.9.4.2

foo_discogs

Reply #157

Thanks!

Very strange...can you always reproduce it ? I'm using 0.9.4.1 myself so I'll have to try with 0.9.4.2

Sadly yes. However, this _might_ be a bug in wine (I'm running foobar2000 on linux using wine 0.9.25) as well... however I doubt it, as the tagging with e.g. the freedb plugin works fine. And the tag update function works too, so... it's rather strange.
But I'll see if I can test in in vmware under windows xp as well, to make sure it's not wine-related.

Sure it's a dependency, it comes standard with XP I believe , not sure of other version of Windows. foo_uie_albumart use it too.

According to foobar2000.org/requirements.html windows 2000 is a supported OS, so it'd be just a nice hint for all other windows 2000 users to have it listed. ;-)

(And yes, it's included in windows xp, it's part of the .net package as well etc.)

foo_discogs

Reply #158

Sadly yes. However, this _might_ be a bug in wine (I'm running foobar2000 on linux using wine 0.9.25) as well... however I doubt it, as the tagging with e.g. the freedb plugin works fine. And the tag update function works too, so... it's rather strange.
But I'll see if I can test in in vmware under windows xp as well, to make sure it's not wine-related.

You're lucky that I'm also a Linux guy (coding windows plugins): I just tried in wine and there's indeed a problem with writing tags when invoked from "write tags...". As I want this plugin to work perfectly with fb2k under wine, I'll fix this.

foo_discogs

Reply #159
Hi,

Great plug-in!!

Just been reading this thread. Here is my vote, a bug? and some wishes.

vote
my vote is for double digit track#

bug?
discogs tags are not always written eg. for http://www.discogs.com/release/789485 (using Write tags..)

wishes
optional use of square brackets [] for remix info instead of ()
option to maintain album art filenames as found
option to maintain artists as found on discogs for artists with 'The' etc as in 'Beatles, The'
possibility to edit tags before accepting
possibility to rename files as well

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
a3aan

foo_discogs

Reply #160
You're lucky that I'm also a Linux guy (coding windows plugins): I just tried in wine and there's indeed a problem with writing tags when invoked from "write tags...". As I want this plugin to work perfectly with fb2k under wine, I'll fix this.

Glad to hear that.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT:

Two new (?) bugs:
- Fetching albumart of discogs #794561 via "Discogs -> Update Album Art" (with "retrieve all available art" and "process only releases[...]" checkboxes activated.) crashes foobar2000 with a cpp runtime error.
- Tagging discogs #54230 results in a broken artist (which should read Add N to (X)), "(" and ")" don't seem to be sufficiently escaped; it results in "Add N to ".

foo_discogs

Reply #161
Hi,

Great plug-in!!

Just been reading this thread. Here is my vote, a bug? and some wishes.

vote
my vote is for double digit track#

This already an option in the configuration panel, and double digits is the default IIRC

bug?
discogs tags are not always written eg. for http://www.discogs.com/release/789485 (using Write tags..)

can you be more specific, which tags etc ?

wishes
optional use of square brackets [] for remix info instead of ()

I will not process discogs data, it comes as it is. You probably can convert ( to [ with other fb plugins.

option to maintain album art filenames as found

They have some meaningless filenames such as R-789485-1158971146.jpeg so you really don't want this

option to maintain artists as found on discogs for artists with 'The' etc as in 'Beatles, The'

Good idea

possibility to edit tags before accepting

And you can edit them later in the "Properties" standard foobar dialog...that's why I'm not too keen on doing this as the functionality is already there (less convenient maybe but there)

possibility to rename files as well

Could be done but I suppose there's some functionality in fb2k that allows to do that based on tags ? Anybody ?

Thanks for the feedback.

Glad to hear that.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT:

Two new (?) bugs:
- Fetching albumart of discogs #794561 via "Discogs -> Update Album Art" (with "retrieve all available art" and "process only releases[...]" checkboxes activated.) crashes foobar2000 with a cpp runtime error.
- Tagging discogs #54230 results in a broken artist (which should read Add N to (X)), "(" and ")" don't seem to be sufficiently escaped; it results in "Add N to ".

I corrected the bug having not tags written in wine...A win32 list API call not implemented as it should.
Will have to look into the album art crash.
Lol on Add to N to (X): the parser remove the trailing artist number which usually is something like Foo (3).
Well you see what happens in that case !

foo_discogs

Reply #162

bug?

can you be more specific, which tags etc ?

None of the tags starting with DISCOGS are saved.  I did work a few times, but somehow it stopped working...

EDIT: I played some more with it. The DISCOGS tags are not saved when the the option ID3v2 Writer Compatibility Mode is checked.

They have some meaningless filenames such as R-789485-1158971146.jpeg so you really don't want this

I dont care about the name. Just want to determine the files on discogs are the same as i donwloaded before.

Cheers,
a3aan.

foo_discogs

Reply #163
[quote name='bubbleguuum' date='Dec 23 2006, 14:09' post='459246']
[quote name='stampgevaar' post='458668' date='Dec 20 2006, 19:51']

[/quote]

The empty release list for some artists is not a bug: I only display "releases" and "dj mixes" sections of the relevant web pages, not displaying other categories such as "appears on", "remixes", "production" etc whose listed releases always have a different artist name than the one you search for.
However I see it could be some use to list them and now there's the filter box, I may add them to the release list. For now, if an artist doesn't have releases listed in the panel, it is that they don't have anything as "Releases" or "DJ MIxes".

===>

It would be nice if the categories like appears on, remixes etc also show maybe with a checkbutton for those. So if you have that option on, everything on discogs is possible to find with your plugin and that would be great. Cause sometimes I still can't find stuff with your plugin because I forget the album artist or have the wrong album artist tagged and still have to search for the discogs id. and maybe have the option the search for a album or record label with your searchbox, album search isn't really necessary but nice to have and record label would be good to find things quickly and my case that is.

foo_discogs

Reply #164
It would be nice if the categories like appears on, remixes etc also show maybe with a checkbutton for those. So if you have that option on, everything on discogs is possible to find with your plugin and that would be great. Cause sometimes I still can't find stuff with your plugin because I forget the album artist or have the wrong album artist tagged and still have to search for the discogs id. and maybe have the option the search for a album or record label with your searchbox, album search isn't really necessary but nice to have and record label would be good to find things quickly and my case that is.

Yep, it now displays all release displayed on an artist page. I tagged some part of my collection yesterday and it was obvious it was missing.

Also fixed the annoying progress popup not disappearing. I'll make a release later today

foo_discogs

Reply #165
It seems there is a problem with proxy usage. I'm using proxy and all i get is short hang with zero results. Inputting release number/url results in "wrong release" error.

Here is TCPView screenshot:

Foobar is connecting directly to discogs without using proxy.

I have proxy set both in foobar and iexplore so I wonder where else should I set it and if proxy usage is implemented at all.

To post conclusion. I'm waiting for support anxiously, because the idea is great and I really want to utilise this component.
Sharing delusions since 1991.

foo_discogs

Reply #166
It seems there is a problem with proxy usage. I'm using proxy and all i get is short hang with zero results. Inputting release number/url results in "wrong release" error.

Here is TCPView screenshot:

Foobar is connecting directly to discogs without using proxy.

I have proxy set both in foobar and iexplore so I wonder where else should I set it and if proxy usage is implemented at all.

To post conclusion. I'm waiting for support anxiously, because the idea is great and I really want to utilise this component.

Ahh didn't thought of proxies! I'll add support for it retrieving fb2k configured proxy and passing that to libcurl.

foo_discogs

Reply #167
foo_discogs freezes foobar on a slow internet-connection, as long as data is received. Can you improve this behaviour?
Thank you for your work!

foo_discogs

Reply #169
V0.90 is out! See first post.

foo_discogs freezes foobar on a slow internet-connection, as long as data is received. Can you improve this behaviour?
Thank you for your work!

You're right, while retrieving data fb2k UI is freezed because retrieving happens in the main thread.
Not sure how to do this properly though (retrieving in a thread is not sufficient because I need to wait for the thread to end and then block).

The new artist search is great! But I just found a bug, I think;

Artist names with an "&" character can´t be searched.

For example:
Ost & Kjex
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Ost+%26+Kjex

See "known issues" of 0.90 for an explanation of this

foo_discogs

Reply #170
Wonderful piece of software. I love how it's so actively being developed.

I have one suggestion. In the configuration menu, I have the album art save path set as:

x:\covers\%artist% - %album%

which works fine, except for when there is an illegal character in the album or artist name. Sure, I could add a long, clunky replace() in there, but I think it'd be better if there was an option to strip out all illegal characters, which btw are \*|":?></

foo_discogs

Reply #171
Yay! Works perfectly. Thank you very much for a great component. No more regexp replace game with masstagger
Sharing delusions since 1991.

foo_discogs

Reply #172
Wonderful piece of software. I love how it's so actively being developed.

I have one suggestion. In the configuration menu, I have the album art save path set as:

x:\covers\%artist% - %album%

which works fine, except for when there is an illegal character in the album or artist name. Sure, I could add a long, clunky replace() in there, but I think it'd be better if there was an option to strip out all illegal characters, which btw are \*|":?></

Yes I noticed that some time ago and forgot about it . I'll replace illegal chars with underscore, but how are you going to tell the source to foo_uie_albumart ? The only way I see is a ugly TAGZ command which replace all illegal chars with "_". Does a TAGZ command exist that format a string so it's compatible with the filesystem ? Would be great.

foo_discogs

Reply #173
released v0.91 which mainly fixes album art not retrieved at all in 0.90.

foo_discogs

Reply #174
Updated
-foobar2000 + Burrrn + EAC
-HD 80Gb using High QualityVBR MP3s