Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: It is safe to use Medieval CUE Splitter? (Read 28255 times) previous topic - next topic

It is safe to use Medieval CUE Splitter?

I have big collection of music ripped to 'file.flac' & 'file.cue', so I need to split it to separate files.

Currently tested a lot of tools, but Medieval CUE Splitter does task fastest. But is it safe to use for whole collection?

I don't need CRC checksums, just want to split my collection.

p.s. sorry for my poor English..

Reply #1
Medieval is not safe.

Reply #2
Foobar or CUEtools will do this for you.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #3
Okay okay,

1. I do not need silence before or after tracks/1:1 track copies (by lenght).

2. I need just split my files, do it FAST (because it's about ~150 discographys of different bands, hundreds of albums), and don't hurt quality.

Medieval doesn't encodes files, just physically splits and writes tags, or I'm wrong? If yes, then I fully understand why files won't pass any verification. But by the way - I just want to split for future digital usage (I've never burned audio CD and will never do it in future).

3. I use Linux. Medieval works under Wine, CUEtools requires additional Micro$oft crapware such NET Framework. Default Linux tools like Flacon or shnsplit is a joke.

Reply #4
Okay okay,........ tools like Flacon or shnsplit is a joke.

It's not just a "if I burn it to CD issue".  You may well hear nasty clicks at the beginning of tracks split with medieval cue splitter.  I tried it on Windows XP and it produced horrible clicks in some cases.

But mostly I use Debian and am sure shnsplt should not be regarded as a joke.  Search my posts (there aren't many) or on my user name and you'll find a script which will successfully split cue+flac, and tag and rename the output files*.  No clicks or other artefacts.  You can also find some other tools for Linux/BSD such as split2flac which people seem to use successfully.  I have split plenty (hundreds) of cue+flac, cue+ape, cue+wv etc using my simple script so I can at least say it isn't a joke and It Works For Me(™)

You can also check out this blog which has various other tools/methods/tips/opinions split-lossless-audio-ape-flac-wv-wav-by-cue-file

*found it: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofive...php/t76685.html

Reply #5
1. I do not need silence before or after tracks/1:1 track copies (by lenght).
I worry that this program will discard more than just silence (try it with concert, for example).

Medieval doesn't encodes files, just physically splits and writes tags, or I'm wrong?
If it writes to any format besides WAVE or AIFF then it encodes files.

Micro$oft crapware such NET Framework
This is a borderline TOS #2 violation.  Let's leave the fanatical zealotry at home, m'kay?

Reply #6
Okay okay,........ tools like Flacon or shnsplit is a joke.

It's not just a "if I burn it to CD issue".  You may well hear nasty clicks at the beginning of tracks split with medieval cue splitter.  I tried it on Windows XP and it produced horrible clicks in some cases.

But mostly I use Debian and am sure shnsplt should not be regarded as a joke.  Search my posts (there aren't many) or on my user name and you'll find a script which will successfully split cue+flac, and tag and rename the output files*.  No clicks or other artefacts.  You can also find some other tools for Linux/BSD such as split2flac which people seem to use successfully.  I have split plenty (hundreds) of cue+flac, cue+ape, cue+wv etc using my simple script so I can at least say it isn't a joke and It Works For Me(™)

You can also check out this blog which has various other tools/methods/tips/opinions split-lossless-audio-ape-flac-wv-wav-by-cue-file

*found it: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofive...php/t76685.html

Thanx, it's good.

cuetag sample.cue split-track*.flac command is the devil. It writes tags, but file names leaves stupid.

Damn lossless. I think in Linux computer is better to stay with lossy formats.

Reply #8
I'd never heard of flacon before so I haven't used it.  As it appears to use shntools it should be fine for splitting cue+lossless.  Reading 'man shnsplit' suggests it would be extremely hard to mess up the split when using a cue sheet unless the cue sheet is somehow no good.  Shnsplit is going to do what you expect by default unless you intervene.  If you want to find out if flacon is worth using why not just try it? Personally if I am unsure as to which method/tool to use for a task I try out a variety and then decide.  This is especially easy and risk free if the software in question is hosted in your distribution's repositories - no ads, no shareware, no virus etc.

Reply #9
I was feeling bored so I downloaded and used flacon, comparing it with shnsplit in Debian and with foobar in XP.  I had intended to try cuetools as well but I don't have a copy and cuetools.net is down at the moment.

Anyway I split a cue+ape into wav and then ran an md5sum on the first and the last track.  The cue was of the type that indicates a hidden pregap which should be ignored or discarded or at least not mistaken for track 01.  The pregap is 427 ms long.  I had noticed that shnsplit warns about this and using its naming option '-t' it correctly ignored the splitted pregap and it applied number and name info from the cue file to the correct audio tracks.  Neither foobar nor flacon gave any indication that the pregap existed/had been dealt with appropriately.  I wondered if shnsplit was actually working as it should but I also didn't know if the other apps were doing the same but silently, or doing something else.  Anyway, one easy way to check:

foobar and shnsplit output has matching md5sums.  flacon's is different and all the track lengths are very slightly different than those produced by shnsplit or foobar.  There was no audible difference that I could hear between flacon's output and the others.  Of course it's possible that flacon is getting it right and the other two apps both make the same error or even that foobar reuses shntool code or somehow exactly reimplements an erroneous method, but I doubt it.

Personally I'm sticking with shntool in a simple script.  if I mostly used Windows I'd probably use foobar.

Reply #10
Besides the issue surrounding HTOA, if you want the standard method which is to append gaps to the previous track, foobar2000 absolutely gets it right.

Reply #11
cuetag sample.cue split-track*.flac command is the devil. It writes tags, but file names leaves stupid.

I didn't notice this when I read your post before.  cuetag doesn't do the renaming.  It takes info from the cue file and adds it to the audio file tags.  The actual naming would usually be done with shnsplit, or something like lltag.  It's hard to know what you meant by "but file names leaves stupid" in the absence of any explanation or example, but I suspect you might be referring to special characters such as accents and non Roman letters.  This is a problem with character encoding (nothing to do with audio encoding!) and is easily fixed using convmv.  For example
Code: [Select]
convmv --notest -f utf7 -t utf8 <your_problem_file>

With this in mind I've improved my script.  You no longer need lltag.  Requirements are shntool, convmv, cuetag and the usual decoders for flac, wavpack, ape etc.  convmv is in Debian, Fedora and Slackware so you should find it available whatever you use.

Usage is as simple as possibe
cue+lossless2flacs <cuefile>

and you can run it from any directory so it works nicely with find.  For example as long as your cue+lossless collection is organised with one cue+lossless per directory then you can run
find <path> -iname "*.cue" -execdir cue+lossless2flacs "{}" \+

Obviously replace <path> with the top directory of your lossless collection.  You should end up with each directory still containing the original cue+lossless (I'm not happy deleting these until the output is checked but perhaps it would make sense to automatically move or rename them) and also a set of numbered, named, tagged flacs with all the names retaining their diacritic marks and other funny stuff that makes English speakers nervous.  This comes with the famous  Works For Me(™) Quality Assurance Warranty and is fully backed up by the 0800-URMOM tech support helpdesk (recruiting now!) and the No Monies Returned Lifetime Guarantee(™).  I have tried it out using it directly and with find and it happily spits out correctly splitted flacs with names such as "09_-_Corderito, ¿por qué te escondes?.flac" or "13_-_Araujo, Juan de - Lamentación 1a. de Miércoles Santo.flac" so I hope that now file names leaves cleverly 

#!/bin/bash
# cue+lossless2flacs

if [ ! $# == 1 ]; then
    echo "Usage: $(basename "$0") <cuefile>"
    exit
fi

CUE="$1"
TOPDIR=$(dirname "$1")
LSSLSS="$TOPDIR"/$(ls |egrep '[fF][lL][aA][cC]$|[aA][pP][eE]$|[wW][vV]$|[wW][aA][vV]$')

echo "cue file is "$1""
echo "lossless image file is "$LSSLSS""

mkdir "$TOPDIR"/tmp;
shnsplit -d "$TOPDIR"/tmp -w -f "$CUE" -t %n_-_%t -o flac "$LSSLSS";
rm "$TOPDIR"/tmp/00_-_pregap.flac;
convmv --notest -f utf7 -t utf8 "$TOPDIR"/tmp/*.flac;
cuetag "$CUE" "$TOPDIR"/tmp/*.flac;
mv "$TOPDIR"/tmp/*.flac "$TOPDIR"/;
rm -rf "$TOPDIR"/tmp;
exit

edited for typos.
edit for script correction.

Reply #12

I didn't notice this when I read your post before.  cuetag doesn't do the renaming.  It takes info from the cue file and adds it to the audio file tags.  The actual naming would usually be done with shnsplit, or something like lltag.  It's hard to know what you meant by "but file names leaves stupid" in the absence of any explanation or example, but I suspect you might be referring to special characters such as accents and non Roman letters.  This is a problem with character encoding (nothing to do with audio encoding!) and is easily fixed using convmv.  For example
convmv --notest -f utf7 -t utf8 <your_problem_file>

Thanx for the really smart script... I have some questions about it..

First.. how to..start? Just pust script on Desktop, make it executable, navigate to directory containing .cue file ant then run? I know, it's stupid question, but I'm new linux user (still learning).

And..file names. For example, the perfect file naming for me must be 01 - First Song Name.flac, 02 - Second Song Name.flac & etc...how to change 'renaming template' ?

and the last question...it looks this script uses temporary directory - so how it about speed? I was used
cuebreakpoints sample.cue | shnsplit -o flac sample.ape

to split images in the past, and it worked really fast (I'm not sure exactly, that command used temporary dir for work or not)

Reply #13
And..file names. For example, the perfect file naming for me must be 01 - First Song Name.flac, 02 - Second Song Name.flac & etc...how to change 'renaming template' ?

I'm no expert on scripts (or Linux, for that matter), but it looks like this is the section you're looking for:

shnsplit -d "$TOPDIR"/tmp -w -f "$CUE" -t %n_-_%t -o flac "$LSSLSS";

Obviously, once you take out the underscores you'll need to enclose that in quotes of some kind...not sure if you'll need one or two sets, i.e. ""%n - %t""...?
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."