Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Monkey's Audio 3.99 released (Read 59705 times) previous topic - next topic

Monkey's Audio 3.99 released

Reply #75
3.99 versions:
Console frontend : http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/temp/MAC.zip
foobar decoder: http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/temp/foo_ape.zip
foobar encoder: http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/temp/foo_monkey.zip

Case: have these been updated for Update 2?  I'm still having Unicode problems on my end.

+Reardon

MAC.exe has not been updated since the initial compile. It's limited to ANSI characters anyway due to the way it was written.
Foobar components are not affected by any Unicode bugs in Monkey's code since they use only I/O functions provided by the player.

Reply #76
Ashland isn't the man that makes info too easily available. There's nothing on the front of home or download page (or in the distribution) that indicates that there's updates within the whole number releases. You'll have to go into the forums and piece it together. This is the changelog for the 3.99 release AFAIK sofar.... More updates might be forthcoming.... (?)

Monkey's Audio 3.99 Update 4 

1. Fixed: Decoder could erroneously report a CRC error on the last frame of some files.

(NOTE: SDK also updated)

Monkey's Audio 3.99 Update 3

1. Changed: Worked on making data types more standard / cross-platform friendly.
2. Changed: Switched code from tab-based to space based. (may still be some out-of-whack formatting)
3. Fixed: Building ID3 tags could cause a crash.
4. Fixed: APL builder treated the last part of a CUE time as a hundreth of a second instead of as a frame. (1 / 75 of a second)
5. Fixed: File Info dialog used by Winamp plugin wouldn't accept / save Unicode tag values properly.
6. Fixed: APL files could output noise or silence at the end of the file in some cases.

Monkey's Audio 3.99 Update 2

1. Fixed: Possible buffer overflow attack weakness in APE tagging code.
2. Fixed: MACDll.dll was not doing ANSI to Unicode conversions properly.
3. Changed: Added Unicode versions of interface wrappers to MACDll.dll.
4. Changed: Updated Winamp plugin to better handle Unicode.
5. Changed: Removed peak-level normalize from file and Winamp plugin. (newer players can do normalize / replay gain during playback)
6. Changed: Updated Cool Edit filter to 3.99.

Monkey's Audio 3.99 Update 1

1. Fixed: MACDll.dll wasn't working on Win9x / ME systems.
2. Changed: MAC.exe updated to 3.99.

Monkey's Audio 3.99

1. Changed: Decoding engine better at handling corrupt streams / loss of internet connection while playing.
2. Changed: Simplified assembly code building for 3rd party developers.
3. NEW: Improved entropy coder for increased compression.
4. Changed: Removed RKAU support. (since it is no longer commonly used)

Well, latest version of release always same places:

MAC 3.99F

Monkey's Audio 3.99 SDK (with source code)
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #77
1. Changed: Decoding engine better at handling corrupt streams / loss of internet connection while playing.

Wondering if anyone tested 3.99 on a corrupt .ape ? In the older version with foobar I would always get long several second screeching sounds on corrupt ones. Does it sound less annoying now ?  I'd test myself but I have all my previously corrupt apes replaced with good ones.

Reply #78
For those interested,
DCoder has released a DirectShow decoder filter for Monkey's Audio v.3.99.
Win 9x-ME Unicode support (of course Unicode support under NT based OS's) and "Files are no longer restricted to .APE or .MAC".

CHANGES
------------------------------------------------
v0.9
-apl is now parsed by MAC Decoder
-added ApeTags (also parsed by MAC Decoder).
-MAC Decoder updated to v0.99u4

MonkeySource_v0.90.zip Binary
Home: DS Monkey Audio - DirectShow Filesource Decoder Filter

File attributes and listing for anyone who cares:
  • 05/15/2004  04:10 PM    75,264 MACDec.dll
  • 05/15/2004  03:38 PM    4,481 ReadMe.txt
  • 05/15/2004  03:37 PM    181,248 MonkeySource.ax
  • 01/06/2004  07:33 PM    139 register.bat
  • 01/06/2004  07:33 PM    145 unregister.bat
  • 04/21/2003  03:09 PM    245,408 unicows.dll
See ya, tec

Reply #79
For those interested, there is a new MACDll.dll/plug-in for Winamp & Cool Edit from Matt Ashland/Monkey. Thread is here.
Posted by: monkey Posted on: Jun 1st, 2004, 10:09pm
There's an updated MACDll.dll here:
http://www.monkeysaudio.com/files/MACDll_399t2.zip

It works like the old MACDll for the Monkey's Audio front-end and EAC.

However, it is also the Winamp plugin and the Cool Edit filter.

It adds Media Library support to Winamp.  It eliminates a bunch of code and streamlines plugin updating.  It'll make it possible for the new GUI and plugins to leverage some of the same file info tools.

To use it in Winamp, rename it to in_APE.dll and place it in the Winamp plugins directory.

To use it in CoolEdit, rename it to APE.flt and place in in the CoolEdit plugins directory. (does it work in Adobe Audition ?)

Please let me know how it works for you.

Thanks

Reply #80
I frequently get checksum errors when seeking quickly through ape files at normal compression and above.  Fast compression doesn't seem to have this problem though.
ERROR (foo_ape) : invalid checksum
Is this a known problem?

Same problem here - sometimes even during playback. Quite annoying actually. There's nothing wrong with the file itself though.

Monkey's Audio 3.99 Update 4 

1. Fixed: Decoder could erroneously report a CRC error on the last frame of some files.

I didn't see answer to these complains.
I've also encountered such invalid checksum error near the end of the song, but not often. The rest of the files from the same album (same encoding) are OK.
The file (song) version is 3.98 with Extra High compression.
I use latest version 0.8.2 from foobar2000.org and in_ape.dll from there.
However file plays fine with older 3.98 plugin.
Seems this is known (and fixed??) bug for Monkey's author, but not for Foobar2000.
But it crashes also in winamp with the above MACDll_399t2 plugin, hence the ??.
Checking ignore bitstream errors, as suggested by the crash message - solves the problem.
At the end -with this plugin 399t2, finally Winamp's library works with ape files reading their tags. Miracle 

Reply #81
I've also encountered such invalid checksum error near the end of the song, but not often. The rest of the files from the same album (same encoding) are OK.
The file (song) version is 3.98 with Extra High compression.
I use latest version 0.8.2 from foobar2000.org

I think the file there is old. Could you try if this version solves the issue.

Reply #82
Hi Case,
This dll is indeed different from the one I use, but the problem persist.
I keep old version of foo_ape.dll (not in_ape.dll, it was mistake in my previous message) which is 114 688 bytes from 24.02.2004 and it should be based on 3.98 (foobar 0.8.2 doesn't list it in the components where version is shown). With it file plays without problem to the end. Both other version based on 3.99 - the new one you gave me and this one, I downloaded today, give
ERROR (foo_ape) : invalid checksum
Strange, I checked (played) all 51 files from the same album (encoded with same settings), but no other have this issue.

Beside that, I want to use this chance to express my gratitude to you and of course Peter and other developers.
Now after years of waiting for working library in winamp, the irony is that I don't need it any more. Database functionality of Foobar is much superior. Kudos.