Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Masstagger guessing (Read 1970 times) previous topic - next topic

Masstagger guessing

I use the naming scheme
Code: [Select]
%artist%  %tracknumber% - %title%

and I'm having trouble getting the mass tagger to correctly guess tag fields from filename.  If the artist name has a space in it (eg. Fear Factory) then ARTIST is set to Fear and track number to Factory.

Given that there are 2 spaces between artist & tracknumber, is there any way to correctly guess the tags from my filenames?  Am I missing a relavent section in the wiki, I haven't had much luck finding info beyond Winamp's advanced title help
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Masstagger guessing

Reply #1
Interesting. The extra space throws a wrench into masstagger.

After some playing around, I found this work-around:

1) Do a "Guess values from filename" with %title%
2) Do a "Format value from other other fields" with  %title% as the Destination and $replace(%title%,'  ',' - ') as the Formatting Pattern
3) Do a "Guess value from other fields" with %title% as the Source and %artist% - %tracknumber% - %title% as the Guessing Pattern

In other words, first dump the filename into Title, replace the double space with ' - ', then format the fields from Title. You can set up a script to do those three steps for each song, so it isn't a lot of extra work.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.

Masstagger guessing

Reply #2
Thankyou for the explanation, with a bit of playing around the syntax is all making sense now  Audioscrobbler will no doubt be pleased, I will no longer be messing up their system with my 'artist = autechre 02' untagged files
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Masstagger guessing

Reply #3
Glad I could help. ;-)

I hear ya. Audioscrobbler has forced me to examine all of my tags. I have a lot of bootleg concerts, and I've found countless errors and inconsistencies in the song titles.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.