Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Signing foobar2000.exe and cert expiration (Read 3624 times) previous topic - next topic

Signing foobar2000.exe and cert expiration

Piotr Pawlowski's certificate will expire on 2015-03-30. But the signature on the foobar2000_v1.3.7.exe does not have a timestamp. Therefore after the certificate expires, Windows and other tools will treat the signature as invalid.

To avoid having the signature invalidated please add option "/t http://timestamp.verisign.com/scripts/timstamp.dll" when you next time invoke "signtool.exe sign". This will add Verisign's timestamp ("counter-signature") to the binary, prolonging validity of the signature until the day Verisign's cert expires, i.e. practically forewer.

Reply #1
That requires an EV (Extended Validation) certificate. EV certificates are Serious Business.

Reply #2
Timestamps do not require an Extended Validation certificate. Time-stamping is available to anyone, even for for people with self-signed certificates. (In fact the time-stamping server does not see who requests the timestamp.) Your linked article does not mention code signing or even Extended Validation. Also, Wikipedia article about EV certificates talks about website certificates only.

Indeed, Code Signing does need a certificate that is issued by a CA that is recognized by Microsoft. But Piotr Pawlowski already does have such certificate, you can see it by opening Properties window of the installer.

Reply #3
With regular StartSSL certificates timestamping doesn't work. I couldn't find any official word from StartCom on this matter but I too ran into it when I had their certificate for own use. Here's a mention of the issue.