Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC compression in EAC doesn't work (Read 32217 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC compression in EAC doesn't work

Hi,
I'm EAC newbie and need help. I want to rip an compress to flac.
EAC Version 1.0 beta 3.
Flac: FLAC - Free Lossless Audio Codec 2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006 Josh Coalson from http://flac.sourceforge.net/

I used in compressions options:
checked: use external programm for compression
parameter passing scheme: user defined encoder
use file extetion: .flac
Programm including...: C:\Program Files (x86)\Exact Audio Copy\flac.exe
additional command line:  -T "artist=%artist%" -T "title=%title%" -T "album=%albumtitle%" -T "date=%year%" -T "tracknumber=%tracknr%" -T "genre=%genre%" -5 %source%
checked: delete WAV after compression
checked: check for external programs return code

when i "test encoder" everything seems ok: no error occured.

I run EAC "test&copy selected tracks - compressed"

But,  it rips and saves in the designated folder in WAV and not .flac

I don't know what else to do? any suggestions?

Reply #1
Does it make a difference if you add %destination% to the end of your command-line?

Reply #2
to db1989:

if I add %destination% at the end i get an error when i "test encoder".
Maybe i add it wrong, if you could type the comand line out so i can just paste and copy?

Reply #3
Actually, no, I see now that our guide for using EAC with FLAC does not include the destination placeholder; so, what you were using before seems to be correct according to that.

I can’t see anything else wrong with your settings, but I may be overlooking something. The only other thing that crossed my mind was the possibility that you were using an x64 version of flac.exe with the x86 version of EAC, but AFAIK the official download includes only a 32-bit executable.

Reply #4
to db 1989

my next option would be to use ALAC for compression. I could use itunes to compress to .m4a, but when i configurate I get an error when I test

I use the following command line:

i found for an older version:

-e "Lossless Encoder" -a "%a" -l "%g" -t "%t" -g "%m" -y %y -n %n -i %s -o %d -d

and translated that for v.1.0 beta3 by myself (obviously wrong!) into:

-e "Lossless Encoder" -a "%artist" -l "%albumtitle" -t "%title" -g "%genre%" -y "%year%" -n "%tracknr%" -i "%coverfile%" -o "%original%" -d "%dest%"

Can somebody help?

Reply #5
I’m sure you won’t have to abandon FLAC. Someone else can find something I’ve missed, or whatever. Perhaps if you post a screenshot of your settings page, there will be more information there. In any case, just wait for a while rather than forgetting FLAC altogether!

One thing I can see in your ALAC examples is this discrepancy:
i %s -o %d -d
vs.
-i "%coverfile%" -o "%original%" -d "%dest%"
They can’t both be right, so that’s probably part of your problem.

Again, there’ll almost certainly be a way to get FLAC working. Be patient!

Reply #6
Here is my working commandline.  I believe it is the default installed by EAC:

-6 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" -T "BAND=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source% -o %dest%

The critical thing may be the final:
%source% -o %dest%

Also, be sure you are actually pointed to FLAC.EXE.  Mine is in a FLAC folder within EAC folder but that may be a change I made after install.

Reply #7
Aargh, I said %destination% instead of %dest% and missed -o. Now facepalming at self. Thanks for catching that!

Reply #8
to db 1989

Thank you for your post. I tried your command line, but it still saves it as .wav

Here is my screenshoot incl. "test encoder"

The "used commandline" in the "External Compresser Test" reads completly as follow:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Exact Audio Copy\flac.exe -6 -V -T "ARTIST=Track Artist" -T "TITLE=Track Title" -T "ALBUM=CD Title" -T "DATE=1999" -T "TRACKNUMBER=05" -T "GENRE=Drum Solo" -T "COMMENT=Comment" -T "BAND=CD Interpret" -T "COMPOSER=Track Composer"  -T "DISCNUMBER=1" -T "TOTALDISCS=1" -T "TOTALTRACKS=1"  "etmp7!1!5.wav" -o "etmp7!1!5.flac"

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any more suggestions? By the way I run Windows 7 home premium. Servie Pack 1, 64 bit

Reply #9
Two things I would try:

1. Copy FLAC.EXE and one of your WAV files into the same folder.  Open a command window there and run the command "FLAC.EXE filename.wav filename.flac" (no quotes) using the filename of your WAV.  That should start FLAC converting the WAV file

2. Replace your EAC commandline with "%source% -o %dest%" (no quotes) just to see if that works.  If so, you can add other switches until it breaks.

Reply #10
I wonder why External Compresser Test window shows "flac 1.1.2"

Reply #11
Thanks to everybody. In the meantime I uninstalled and installed EAC, just in case i had a bad download. Unfortunatly that didn't help. Also the flac encoder which comes with v1.0b3 gave me error messages when I used it with the beginner friendly installation guide.

Nevertheless, I will try your suggestions.

My solution at the moment: I use itunes (alone) and save as .m4a
Works for me, CDs are in pretty good shape (most of them) so I don't really need EAC for error corrections and a one-to one copy is not my priority.
Itunes is of course absolutely unflexible and not really to customize, but the (given) format the music is saved onto the NAS is ok (so far).

Thanks again.

Reply #12
I'm having the same exact issues. Everything in the setup is correct. It simply doesn't compress via EAC. I tried running EAC as "administrator" but that didn't resolve the problem. I'm running EAC v1.0 beta 3. I didn't have this problem with the older version.

And the solution is that under the program path, you have to add the command line in the Additional command line options. (-6 is "quality" for the FLAC compression). I used the command line suggested at http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_FLAC :

-6 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" -T "BAND=%albuminterpret%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source% -o %dest%

I don't know if everything is necessary, but it DID fix the situation.

Reply #13
I'm having the same exact issues. Everything in the setup is correct. It simply doesn't compress via EAC. I tried running EAC as "administrator" but that didn't resolve the problem. I'm running EAC v1.0 beta 3. I didn't have this problem with the older version.

And the solution is that under the program path, you have to add the command line in the Additional command line options. (-6 is "quality" for the FLAC compression). I used the command line suggested at http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_FLAC :

-6 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" -T "BAND=%albuminterpret%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source% -o %dest%

I don't know if everything is necessary, but it DID fix the situation.

I was having the same issues. I didn't expect this to help, as I also previously had flac compression working on another machine (probably with an older version of EAC or the flac.exe) and I was already using -8 as my command-line, however pasting in that whole command line above (changing the -6 to -8 for smallest file size)  worked fine for me! Thanks! (It was really annoying having to run flac.exe by command line in a second step before laslaw01's suggestion.)

- Stefan

Reply #14
I have a working setup on my x64 Windows 8.1 system.
I use:
Select: Use external program for compression
Parameter passing scheme: User defined encoder.
Use file extension: .flac

Program: (Only the path and name of the executable): <path to flac.exe>\flac.exe

Put the folowing line in: Additional command-line options:

-T "artist=%artist%" -T "title=%title%" -T "album=%albumtitle%" -T "date=%year%" -T "tracknumber=%tracknr%" -T "genre=%genre%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source%

Only select: Delete wav after compression

Reply #15
Sorry to hijack a thread (even one that got bumped from a couple years ago) but I am having the same issue but none of the suggested command lines are resolving the issue.

I'm currently using the following:

EAC 1.0 beta 4
FLAC 1.3.1

My current command line is:

-8 -V %source% -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "ALBUM ARTIST=%albumartist%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" -T "COMMENT=CRC: %trackcrc%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file="LYRICS=%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover%

but I have tried several different variations from all the threads that I have read.

When I test the encoder everything is fine and I have verified my settings against the wiki.  I am using a newer version of FLAC than most of the people in the threads but I am assuming that's because the threads are a couple years old.  I did a new install yesterday and followed the EAC setup.  I used EAC for years but had freedb issues for a while and I am now trying to use it again.

Reply #16
Try stripping the commandline options down to the minimum: %source%

Be sure you are pressing the CMP button or if using menus selecting the "Compressed" option.

Reply #17
Thanks for the suggestion, it still returned the same error.  There must be something not right separate from the command line.

Reply #18
What is the error message?

I have the same configuration running with no problem.  Got FLAC from here:
http://www.rarewares.org/lossless.php

Additional command-line options:
-6 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" -T "BAND=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source%

Reply #19
The error I am seeing is "The external compressor returned an error" with a listing of the command line and a temp file 0tmp1!542.wav file listed at the end.  Sorry, I haven't figured out how to post an image here yet.

I did install the FLAC file from the location you indicated.  Will EAC use the x32 or x64 version? I tried both and received the same error as above.  The rest of the compression options you show are the same on my screen.

Reply #20
I determined the problem.  FLAC didn't like that I set the destination directory to my NAS.  It worked when I mapped the destination folder on the NAS as a network drive.  Thanks for your help.

Reply #21
I'm also struggling for weeks with this problem.

If I do it on my local drive, it compresses to flac. To my NAS, it doesn't want to do it. 

@Parkmad: How do you map the destination folder on the nas as a network drive?

UPDATE:

this is what I found:
http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/e8...e-in-windows-8/

It works!!! Thx Parkmad for the golden suggestion! It made MY day!!!

Reply #22
Somehow a similar problem reared its ugly head in Windows 10 and EAC v1.1. Other than a different CD/DVD-Rom, I have copied the same settings from my working laptop to my other laptop. The first laptop could correctly churn out flac files, but the 2nd one would only produce WAV files. Should the WIKI page reflect EAC v1.1 and Flac v1.3.1? Thanks.

Reply #23
Somehow a similar problem reared its ugly head in Windows 10 and EAC v1.1. Other than a different CD/DVD-Rom, I have copied the same settings from my working laptop to my other laptop. The first laptop could correctly churn out flac files, but the 2nd one would only produce WAV files. Should the WIKI page reflect EAC v1.1 and Flac v1.3.1? Thanks.

Oops. I think I selected "uncompressed' instead of "compressed."