Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Report on Creek OBH-11 headphone amp (Read 2815 times) previous topic - next topic

Report on Creek OBH-11 headphone amp

I received the Creek OBH-11 (standard, non-SE) headphone amp yesterday, and just did a few tests with nothing connected to it, and the headphone out going to the analog line inputs on my Audiophile 24/96 card.

Lowest volume on the pot (volume knob):

Left   Right
Min Sample Value:   -13.73   -13.61
Max Sample Value:   17.24   16.63
Peak Amplitude:   -65.57 dB   -65.88 dB
Possibly Clipped:   0   0
DC Offset:   0    0
Minimum RMS Power:   -95.38 dB   -94.9 dB
Maximum RMS Power:   -67.02 dB   -67.14 dB
Average RMS Power:   -77.86 dB   -77.92 dB
Total RMS Power:   -76.31 dB   -76.37 dB

Using RMS Window of 50 ms

Highest volume on the pot:

Left   Right
Min Sample Value:   -14.24   -13.68
Max Sample Value:   17.79   17.8
Peak Amplitude:   -65.36 dB   -65.35 dB
Possibly Clipped:   0   0
DC Offset:   0    0
Minimum RMS Power:   -89.14 dB   -88.66 dB
Maximum RMS Power:   -67.5 dB   -67.73 dB
Average RMS Power:   -78.04 dB   -78.04 dB
Total RMS Power:   -76.87 dB   -76.88 dB

Using RMS Window of 50 ms

Pretty good!  There seems to be no significant noise added when increasing volume to maximum (or anywhere in between) with no source connected.  I'm guessing that using a linear regulated wall wart [AC adapter] would diminish those low level amplitude fluctuations, unless it's from RFI -- perhaps a choke on the wall wart cable could help with that.

Adding a low-level source, the volume increases smoothly and gradually as it should.

P.S. the amp sounds pretty good, too. 

Reply #1
A more realistic measurement would have some low impedance source (the AP outputs or a 200 ohm resistor) connected to the amp inputs. "Free" inputs may be noiser that the real thing.

Reply #2
What seems interesting is that Creek gives a S/N ratio of 65dB in their literature, which corresponds almost exactly to my measurement (if you figure -65dB peaks).  It seems Creek was being conservative and/or accurate in reported measurements, which is refreshing in a "high end" audio company  .