Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking for opinions on players (Read 4446 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for opinions on players

Currenty I am using Winamp 2.9 for all my media playback needs. I was curious to know if there is perhaps a better player available, so here I am casting out my feelers.
I used to use Kjofol before development stopped on it, I tried Sonique (*shiver*), Foobar 2k isnt really my style.

any suggestions?  B)
"I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet." - Rodney Dangerfield

Reply #1
Even though you said fb2k isn't your style, I'd say give it another shot!  It's the best player (and tagger) out there!

Reply #2
My suggestion is that you keep on using Winamp 2.9 or try foobar2000.

Reply #3
I haven't tried Winamp 2.9 yet, but if I couldn't use foobar2000, I'd sure be using Winamp2 (2.81 or 2.9 if it's any good) - it still kicks the other players' asses IMHO. (The freeware players, that is - I have no doubt Media Jukebox is better than Winamp2.)

Coolplayer is useless IMHO, it's extremely limited. And QCD Player seems a little bloated to me. Both don't have ReplayGain support which, once you're spoilt by it, is one of the basic requirements for enjoying music.

There are other players I haven't tried yet - Zinf, 1by1, STP Player... there once was Ultra Player which seemed pretty good 2 years ago, but I don't know what it's like now.

You probably know what to think of Windows Media Player, MusicMatch and the like...

Reply #4
"And QCD Player seems a little bloated to me."  There is nothing bloated about QCD in any way.  It is feature rich for a download size only slightly bigger than Winamp 2.90 and while running it uses about the same resources.

"Both don't have ReplayGain support" INCORRECT.  QCD has a ReplayGain plug-in as well as a mp3Gain auto load plug-in called Xcopy.  QCD also has a MAD plug-in as well as plug-in's for just about everything.

So give QCD a try.  BTW, the final 3.50 was released a few days ago.

The best advice is to try a few different players.  I would say that if you value user friendly operation, full features above and beyond Winamp and Foobar, free form skins and a creator who will fix any issues and consider adding any new features, then QCD may be your best choice.

Reply #5
Then QCD is your best bet - has better tech support,
more features, better skin and plugin system - unlike Winamp2.
The only downside is that as I recall there is no resampler plugin.
I have used it till foobar2000 came... and I'll try it again,  because I've ditched that SBLive for good.
I've changed only because of myself.
Remember, when you quote me, you're quoting AstralStorm.
(read: this account is dead)

Reply #6
I guess the question is, what do you want it to do besides play?  Winamp pretty much covers that.

Others I've seen that have any attraction over winamp 2.x do it by things like playing or selecting tracks
based on tag information, or integration with some related function.

Reply #7
Been using QCD player lately, only chanced upon it recently. I like it's "sound" compared to winamp although the equalizer presets don't seem to do much but I don't use them anyway. Tried Foobar but I guess I was not ready for it's interface, although it gets good copy in these pages, maybe I'll give it another go.

Reply #8
There's also dBpowerAMP, although I haven't tried it myself. Some who did liked it though...

Reply #9
*sigh* If only Winamp2x could use Free form skins like QCD and Winamp3 (among others). Then it would be perfect for me.
Nothing I can find quite matches the combination of plugins and such I have in my winamp2.

Oh well.
"I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet." - Rodney Dangerfield

Reply #10
To those who tried Fb2k once and didn't think the interface didn't suit them: Try it again a second time. For many people, myself included, it takes a second try to really get into understanding why Fb2k was so great.

Reply #11
Conger wrote:
"Both don't have ReplayGain support" INCORRECT. QCD has a ReplayGain plug-in as well as a mp3Gain auto load plug-in called Xcopy.

Oh. Since when has that been the case? 'Cause the last time I tried QCD (few months ago), I didn't spot a ReplayGain plugin on the website (I could be blind, though).

But that's another thing that I find annoying - I don't want to download plugins for every single feature I need! ReplayGain is something that any player should handle by default. foobar2000 does more than I could do with Winamp, and it doesn't require me to download any additional plugins.

tangent wrote:
To those who tried Fb2k once and didn't think the interface didn't suit them: Try it again a second time. For many people, myself included, it takes a second try to really get into understanding why Fb2k was so great.

I agree. It took as long as v0.43 until I was convinced.