Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC - change replaygain target in FOOBAR (Read 6600 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC - change replaygain target in FOOBAR

Hi everybody,

I'm using replaygain in FOOBAR to "normalize" (by adding TAGS) my FLAC album.
It seems that FOOBAR only normalize FLAC files to a target of 89 db, while a need a litte higher volume (let's say 92 db or 90.5 db).

How can I change this setting???

another issue: it seems that normalilzing only works when reducing volume (eg. from 98 db to 89 db) but doesn't when FLAC files' volume is lower (from 80 db to 89 db)

any suggestions?

thanks a lot!
Andy

Reply #1
I haven't tried it to make sure it's not just for MP3s, but I'm guessing Preferences > Advanced > Tools > ReplayGain Scanner > Target MP3 alteration level (dB) is the setting you want to adjust.

I don't know the answer to your other question, but if under Preferences > Playback you have chosen one of the 'prevent clipping' options, that would limit the amount of ReplayGain adjustment to whatever headroom is in the file. So if avg. volume is 80dB but it still has a 100% peak somewhere, you won't get any boost.

Reply #2
That setting is for the "apply ReplayGain data to MP3" (or whatever the exact wording is) function, i.e., not-reversable-losslessly modification of audio data.

To my knowledge, there is no way to change the reference loudness in foobar2000, as the RG implementation is based on the official specs/standard, which state 89dB reference loudness.

As an aside, what ReplayGain does is actually something separate from normalization, but that goes beyond my personal technical understanding.

Reply #3
Could the preamp be used for this purpose, at least as a workaround?

Reply #4
ReplayGain values are only meaningful when the reference value is consistent. Therefore it makes little sense to allow it to be changed.
elevatorladylevitateme