Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to merge wav files and make cue sheet (Read 8584 times) previous topic - next topic

How to merge wav files and make cue sheet

Hi, I need your help because I've sadly fallen in google.
I've got a lot of wav files. Previously they all were in one big wav file with *.cue one, and CUE Splitter had cut them on many less wav files (audio tracks).
The big wav file I deleted a long time ago and I just need to merge my little wav files back without any conversion of them and make cue files.
Is it possible at all?
Cat

Reply #1
As for getting the single wav, you can use the foobar2000 converter to do so ( i.e. add all them properly sorted to a playlist and then convert by generating a single file. Select output to wav with the same format that your files). Other programs can do this as well.

As for generating the cue file, I don't really know of an automatic method, but writing it by hand in a text editor (notepad) if you have a reference file to look at, and knowing the song lengths as you do, should be quite easy.  Only remember that time in cue sheets is  minute:second:sector, where a sector is 1/75th of a second ( so sectors go from 0 to 74 instead of 0 to 99)

Reply #2
If you used Medieval CUE Splitter, you have lost some of the original audio data at the track boundaries, because that software is junk. Probably the lost audio was just silence, but if you are trying to reconstruct the original WAV perfectly, it will be impossible because you are missing some samples.

By deleting the original cue sheet, you lost whatever info was in them, so you can only make a dummy cue sheet which has track boundaries based on your current files.

If I were you, I would use CUETools. Click on the little folder icon next to "Input" and choose "Folder browser". In the folder browser, find the folder containing the separate WAV files and look in it for something like "foo.wav: 9 files" and click on that. (foo.wav will be whatever the first WAV file is in alphabetical order, and the number of files will naturally vary.) Action: Encode, default. Mode: Image+CUE. Audio output: Lossless, and pick wav or flac or whatever you want. When you click Go, it will create exactly what you are asking for, in a separate folder (look for where it says the output .cue was going to go).

Reply #3
I ran a few tests on that Medieval program a while back and I don't think the OP would have the boundary problem if the original Image files were uncompressed WAV. That problem happens when the program splits compressed files (such as FLAC) without re-encoding.

However the default settings will discard the gaps (silence) from the original Image. Without the Medieval CUE (see note below) for the individual tracks or the original Image CUE, the OP might have a problem finding the correct Pregap command values to replace the original gaps. Even with the correct gap information the files still may not verify against the AccurateRip and CTDB databases if the discarded gap data wasn't completely silent.

Note: That Medieval program adds an invalid header to the CUE file. The first 5 or so lines that begin with a semicolon ";" may need to be deleted using a text editor before using in CUETools or foobar2000.
korth

Reply #4
+1 ^^

How are those single song wav files named ... could the cue TITLE fields (maybe album info as well) be filled using data from wav file names? It wouldn't be hard to prepare a script to build the cue if that data is available.

BTW, I had the same type issue couple years ago which I solved by programming an utility which picks data from Reaper project file to build a cue file.
Method is quite clumsy: load files (in Reaper) to either one track one after the other or to separate tracks so that the next track starts when one ends ... then markers needs to be added (fill the marker Name field with the data you want to see in track TITLE tag) ... finally run the utility, open Reaper project file for input, fill tags TITLE and PERFORMER, point the FILE and hit the build button.

Reply #5
Hi, I need your help because I've sadly fallen in google.
I've got a lot of wav files. Previously they all were in one big wav file with *.cue one, and CUE Splitter had cut them on many less wav files (audio tracks).
The big wav file I deleted a long time ago and I just need to merge my little wav files back without any conversion of them and make cue files.
Is it possible at all?
Cat

More than being possible, this whole discussion should be about what's the easiest way to do it for you, given your background and willingness to learn.

If I had to merge .wav files I'd fire up an audio editor (Audacity for example) and use it to concatenate the files in the edit session and write them all out as one big file.

That would be easiest and most obvious to me just because I've been editing audio for several decades.

The other advice you've gotten looks good to me.

Reply #6
Another alternative would be using (the rather dated) shntool. something like:
Code: [Select]
shntool join *.wav -o wav
shntool cue *.wav > joined.cue

(then edit the joined.cue to remove the entry for joined.wav)

Re: How to merge wav files and make cue sheet

Reply #7
Hmm, is this the best we can still do, a year later?

I need to concatenate a set of 6-channel files into one large .wav (e.g.  w/foobar or audacity) and I need have a cue sheet so I can split them apart (e.g. with foobar) after I've done a bit of editing on the file.  (The editing will not change the length of the file).

Can either app generate a cue sheet from a set of files to be merged? Is there anything that can -- audiomuxer maybe?  Or do I have to make a manual .cue?

Re: How to merge wav files and make cue sheet

Reply #8
I'll answer my own post.  Foobar2K can do what I needed -- merge a set of files and generate a .cue file to go with it, using the Convert tool and its 'generate multi-track files' option.

That made my particular nondestructive album-wide editing task a breeze:
merge and generate cue-->edit and save -->split based on .cue